Xfree 4.3 performing poorly

Post by Trum » Sun, 20 Apr 2003 23:28:47

Recently I upgraded my Xfree86 from a default full-install of RedHat
8.0.  I now am running Xfree 4.3.  Prior to this upgrade, Gnome ran
extremely fast and everything was very responsive.  After I upgraded
to Xfree 4.3, things have been running much slower.  When I drag
windows around, the leave that "your computer is slow" trail behind
them.  Also, even is a terminal window, if is list all files in a
large directoy, the text scrolls kind of slow.  It used to just
instantly appear on the screen.

The machine is a Celeron 1.7 Ghz. with 384 mb ram and a 7200 rpm hard
drive.  Video card is a Geforce4 mx PCI (yes, I know pci is no good.)
I am using the latest drivers from Nvidia.

Is there anything I can do to speed up my GUI, or at least make it
perform how it used to?

Help is much appreciated.

Xfree 4.3 performing poorly

Post by VP » Mon, 21 Apr 2003 06:27:15

> Recently I upgraded my Xfree86 from a default full-install of RedHat
> 8.0.  I now am running Xfree 4.3.  Prior to this upgrade, Gnome ran
> extremely fast and everything was very responsive.  After I upgraded
> to Xfree 4.3, things have been running much slower.  When I drag
> windows around, the leave that "your computer is slow" trail behind
> them.  Also, even is a terminal window, if is list all files in a
> large directoy, the text scrolls kind of slow.  It used to just
> instantly appear on the screen.

> The machine is a Celeron 1.7 Ghz. with 384 mb ram and a 7200 rpm hard
> drive.  Video card is a Geforce4 mx PCI (yes, I know pci is no good.)
> I am using the latest drivers from Nvidia.

> Is there anything I can do to speed up my GUI, or at least make it
> perform how it used to?

> Help is much appreciated.

How you upgraded your XFree86? RPM package? build from tarball? Binary of XFree86.org?

Xfree 4.3 performing poorly

Post by Trum » Mon, 21 Apr 2003 11:48:37

I followed the directions from their site:
http://xfree86.mirrorcentral.com/4.3.0/Install.html

I did the full install (downloaded all tarballs) using the Xinstall
program and did not have any problems at all (with the installation at
least.)

Post by VP » Mon, 21 Apr 2003 16:54:18

> I followed the directions from their site:
> http://xfree86.mirrorcentral.com/4.3.0/Install.html

> I did the full install (downloaded all tarballs) using the Xinstall
> program and did not have any problems at all (with the installation at
> least.)

This method is not well suitable for RH, IMHO. Why not try to upgrade by RPM?

Xfree 4.3 performing poorly

Post by Trum » Tue, 22 Apr 2003 01:01:53

Wow, usually people are condemning RPMs around here.  Honestly, the
reason I installed it without the RPMs is because I could not find
any.

Could you point me to the proper RPMs to upgrade with?  Also, now that
I have 4.3 installed, is there any way to roll back to what I had
previously so the RPM upgrade does make things blow up?  (I am
doubtfull on this.)

If it is going to cause a reinstall to get this right, I might just
install RH 9 (which has xfree 4.3 anyway.)  I would prefer not to have
to do this though.