Navigator 4.0 bails on Java startup

Post by Greg Harfs » Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

        My Communicator 4.0 Navigator crashes every time Java tries to
start up.  Is there a reason for this?  Is there something I can do to
correct this?
        Thank you.

Greg

Navigator 4.0 bails on Java startup

Post by rang » Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

You probably have a bad CLASSPATH or J_HOME or JDK_HOME or
MOZILLA_HOME in your environment.  First unset them all, then try
something like:

        export MOZILLA_HOME=/opt/NSCPnav404
        CLASSPATH=$MOZILLA_HOME/java40.jar $MOZILLA_HOME/netscape

Just tailor the value of MOZILLA_HOME to the location where you
have netscape installed.

HTH,

Navigator 4.0 bails on Java startup

Post by Greg Harfs » Fri, 13 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hey,

        Why do I have to unset my CLASSPATH?  Won't that make it so I
can't use javac and such?  I thought those needed CLASSPATH set to the
diretory where the classes.zip file existed.
        I have MOZILLA_HOME, CLASSPATH and JDK_HOME set as follows:

export MOZILLA_HOME="/usr/local/netscape"
export CLASSPATH=".:$MOZILLA_HOME/java/classes/java40.jar:/usr/local/jdk1.1.3/lib"
export JDK_HOME="/usr/local/jdk1.1.3"

        How should I change it?

Thanks,
Greg

> Hi,

> You probably have a bad CLASSPATH or J_HOME or JDK_HOME or
> MOZILLA_HOME in your environment.  First unset them all, then try
> something like:

>    export MOZILLA_HOME=/opt/NSCPnav404
>    CLASSPATH=$MOZILLA_HOME/java40.jar $MOZILLA_HOME/netscape

> Just tailor the value of MOZILLA_HOME to the location where you
> have netscape installed.

> HTH,

Navigator 4.0 bails on Java startup

Post by Greg Harfs » Fri, 13 Feb 1998 04:00:00

OK, I changed the environment variables as you suggested - and java now
works in Netscape!

I have java binary capability compiled into my kernal - so if I want to
run one, I first have to change CLASSPATH to point to classes.zip and my
current directory, and then execute the program.  If I change the variable
and try to call java directly, it doesn't work.  It tells me it can't find
the class I want to run.

Do you know why I can run a java program through the kernal (after
changing the CLASSPATH variable), but not by calling java directly?

Thanks.

Greg

> Hey,

>    Why do I have to unset my CLASSPATH?  Won't that make it so I
> can't use javac and such?  I thought those needed CLASSPATH set to the
> diretory where the classes.zip file existed.
>    I have MOZILLA_HOME, CLASSPATH and JDK_HOME set as follows:

> export MOZILLA_HOME="/usr/local/netscape"
> export CLASSPATH=".:$MOZILLA_HOME/java/classes/java40.jar:/usr/local/jdk1.1.3/lib"
> export JDK_HOME="/usr/local/jdk1.1.3"

>    How should I change it?

> Thanks,
> Greg

> > Hi,

> > You probably have a bad CLASSPATH or J_HOME or JDK_HOME or
> > MOZILLA_HOME in your environment.  First unset them all, then try
> > something like:

> >       export MOZILLA_HOME=/opt/NSCPnav404
> >       CLASSPATH=$MOZILLA_HOME/java40.jar $MOZILLA_HOME/netscape

> > Just tailor the value of MOZILLA_HOME to the location where you
> > have netscape installed.

> > HTH,

In the systems being developed here, everything is coded in Java. There
are about 100 Java applications each running its own virtual machine.

I'm supposed to work with test and performance analysis of these systems
and I'm using tools that log system behaviour on process level.

The problem is that all I see is 100 processes named Java with some
small variations in command line parameters.

Is there a safe way to alter the process names either at startup or at
runtime ?
What could be the consequences of doing such a thing ?

//Hans Hagberg

2. Kmid and Kmidi sound differences

3. Navigator 4.0 (Communicator Preview Rel 1)

4. DNS : Solaris Netra : Empty Request ?

5. Help Requested: DU 4.0 Netscape Navigator Problems

6. Questions and suggestions

7. Navigator 4.0 (Guess #2)

8. Strange numlock behavior

9. Navigator 4.05 ... java CLASSPATH ??

10. Navigator breaks on Java applets

11. no java in navigator 3 !

12. Netscape Navigator + Java/JavaScript crashes

13. java/50729: java/jdk14: broken java.net.NetworkInterface calls