afio won't work with tape backup

Post by Gary Krup » Tue, 17 Dec 2002 14:38:26

I made a tape backup with a program that uses afio, and when I upgraded
to Linux v.2.4.18, I found I couldn't restore the backup. When I run
the command afio -r /dev/nht0, it reports the following:

afio: "/dev/nht0" [offset 0]: Input/output error
afio: "/dev/nht0" [offset 6]: Fatal error:
afio: "/dev/nht0": Unrecognizable archive

I can, however, run mt successfully with the tape drive:
mt -f /dev/nht0 tell yields "at block [block no.]". Except that mt
seek eod won't work, nor will mt seod or mt eod. These commands cause
mt to hang.

I can run tar successfully on the tape, and have made one good backup
so far after upgrading.

Another odd discovery I made is that "mt status" reports the tape as
as SCSI 2 tape drive, even though I didn't compile module support for
st. Only ide-tape is available as a module on my system. I have an
IDE tape drive.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I can get afio to work with the
tape drive?

Gary Krupa

Post by John Thompso » Thu, 19 Dec 2002 23:51:47

> I made a tape backup with a program that uses afio, and when I upgraded
> to Linux v.2.4.18, I found I couldn't restore the backup. When I run
> the command afio -r /dev/nht0, it reports the following:

> afio: "/dev/nht0" [offset 0]: Input/output error
> afio: "/dev/nht0" [offset 6]: Fatal error:
> afio: "/dev/nht0": Unrecognizable archive

> I can, however, run mt successfully with the tape drive:
> mt -f /dev/nht0 tell yields "at block [block no.]". Except that mt
> seek eod won't work, nor will mt seod or mt eod. These commands cause
> mt to hang.

> I can run tar successfully on the tape, and have made one good backup
> so far after upgrading.

> Another odd discovery I made is that "mt status" reports the tape as
> as SCSI 2 tape drive, even though I didn't compile module support for
> st. Only ide-tape is available as a module on my system. I have an
> IDE tape drive.

> Does anyone have any ideas about how I can get afio to work with the
> tape drive?

You may have to use the ide-scsi emulation module.  That was how I got my
ATAPI tape device to work with the 2.4.x series kernels.

Make sure you build the SCSI emulation kernel module and the SCSI tape
support module.  Edit /etc/modules.conf to comment out ide-tape and load
ide-scsi:

        # alias char-major-37 ide-tape
        alias ide-tape off
        below st ide-scsi

Add a line to your /etc/lilo.conf to tell the kernel that your tape device
should be treated as a SCSI device.  My tape drive is /dev/hdc, so this is
how it looks on my system:

image=/boot/bzImage-2.4.20
        label=linux-2.4.20
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda1
        append="hdc=ide-scsi"
        alias=linux

Don't forget to run lilo after editing lilo.conf, so the changes get
written into the boot record!

--

Post by Douglas Bollinge » Sun, 22 Dec 2002 08:58:08

> I made a tape backup with a program that uses afio, and when I upgraded to
> Linux v.2.4.18, I found I couldn't restore the backup. When I run the
> command afio -r /dev/nht0, it reports the following:

> afio: "/dev/nht0" [offset 0]: Input/output error afio: "/dev/nht0" [offset
> 6]: Fatal error: afio: "/dev/nht0": Unrecognizable archive

If you are using idetape, make sure you disable dma on your tape device.
The ide tape driver really sucks and DMA is completely broken in the latest
kernels.  I had this exact same problem using RH 8.0 and their kernel
source.

hdparm -u1 -d0 /dev/hdd > /dev/null

This completely fixed the ide tape drive problems that I was having, at the
cost of much higher CPU usage during tape usage.

--
What scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?
                -- J.D. Farley

1. looking for tape backup program 'afio'

Hi,
I just installed ftape and am looking for
some good backup software. I read somewhere
that using compressed tar files is a bad
idea, and that a program called 'afio'
was much better because it could individually
compress the files. The poster said
to look for 'afio.2.4.tgz' in the
sunsite.unc.edu archive. I can't seem to locate
this file anywhere. Any help would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Derek

2. ftp via null modem

3. Tape Backup Unit won't work, help!

4. usbserial OOPS in 2.5.69-bk4

5. Tape backup scripts question (uses afio)

6. KDEDIR question compiling qt 2.3

7. afio kaboom with ISC 3.0?/remote tape backup

8. how do I use the date command in an sed script?

9. Want afio for tape backup

10. afio tape backup question/problems

11. afio backup scripts incremental backup problem

12. Error: Backup 4.2 won't label tapes

13. upgrade to RedHat 5.2 and now my tape backup doesn't work