Remote Printer problem

Post by Javier Mateos Delga » Tue, 03 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Please, could you help us to solve a printing problem?

We have installed the magic-filter-0.4.tar.gz package from tsx-11.mit.edu
on a PC i486 with linux operating system (version 1.2.8 kernel). This machine
is a printing server. When a remote machine send a job to be printed to
the server and the user make a lpq command while the server is processing
the job to printed it,
responding: "connection to server is down" but the job is printed correctly
and when the printing finish the user can make a lpq command and it work
correctly also.

What we can do?   Does anybody have some sugesstion.

Thanks you very much.

Armando Blanco.
Departamento de Ciencias de la computacion e Inteligencia Artificial
Universidad de Granada. Spain.

[...]

1. Remote printer problems using bsdlpd

I am trying to print over a network to a remote printer.  I am using
bsdlpd which came with the latest slackware distribution.  I have a
local printer working to a certain extent already.  By that I mean that
I can print text through it.  The printcap file I am using is included
below.  When I try to enable the remote printer by typing "up brlw1" in
lpc, I get the message "unknown printer brlw1"  I have created a queue
directory for it in the place specified in printcap.  I have also tried
using the same printcap without the colons at the beginning of every
line.  The machine name and printer name are correct.  I have heard that
bsdlpd requires a device called lp to operate, so I made a soft link to
/dev/null called lp.  I have of course killed and restarted bsdlpd every
time I made a change.  I am using kernel version 2.0.33 with all the
important other stuff like gcc from the newest slackware distribution.
If anyone has an idea about how I can fix this, please email me at

time.

lp|printer|DJ672:\
:lp=/dev/lp1:sd=/var/spool/lpd/DJ672LP1:sh:mx#0:if=/usr/local/bin/deskjet-filter:

brlw1:\
:lp=:\
:rm=lpd.rh.uchicago.edu:\
:rp=brlw1:\
:sd=/var/spool/lpd/brlw1:\
:lf=/var/spool/lpd/brlw1/errs:

2. MEMMORY MAPPING

3. Remote printer problems

4. dual boot NT/Linux

5. lp printing to remote printer problem

6. xanim not in the distros?

7. Remote printer problem

8. make multiple ip

9. remote printer problem