compiling kernel, boot device problem, simple?

compiling kernel, boot device problem, simple?

Post by WeP » Sun, 13 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

i am trying to compile the 2.2.5 kernel under the redhat6.0 distribution.
after running the make commands i get:

root device = (3,11)
boot device = 512 bytes      <===!!!!
Setup = 3548 bytes
System = 522 bytes
System is too big. Try using bzImage or modules.

i have tried to use as many modules as possible, but i noticed that the boot
device reports a number of bytes instead of a major, minor device number
combo.

i have a separate 16mb partition mounted on /boot. could that be causing the
problem?

thanks.

wep

(when replying to my email, please remove the comments from my address)

Post by Kyle Dansi » Sun, 13 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

> i am trying to compile the 2.2.5 kernel under the redhat6.0 distribution.
> after running the make commands i get:

> root device = (3,11)
> boot device = 512 bytes      <===!!!!
> Setup = 3548 bytes
> System = 522 bytes
> System is too big. Try using bzImage or modules.

> i have tried to use as many modules as possible, but i noticed that the boot
> device reports a number of bytes instead of a major, minor device number
> combo.

> i have a separate 16mb partition mounted on /boot. could that be causing the
> problem?

> thanks.

> wep

> (when replying to my email, please remove the comments from my address)

Like the message says, try using bzImage instead. Or bzlilo

Later,
Kyle

compiling kernel, boot device problem, simple?

Post by WeP » Mon, 14 Jun 1999 04:00:00

tried that to no avail.

the problem is solved though. i just configged the kernel to use only
modules (except for the fs stuff for the root partition) and the system went
down to 412 bytes. presto.

thanks for helping, though.

wep

Quote:

>Like the message says, try using bzImage instead. Or bzlilo

>Later,
>Kyle

1. diskless boot hit error while booting kernel, cannot find boot device, dhcp problem?

Hi people, wonder if you could help me on this:

i have two redhat 7.1 machine, one trying to boot off the other
through etherboot. Everythign goes fine, the client boots, retreat the
kernel off the server through tftp, and starting the kernel. Then it
stopped with error messages:
.
.
VFS: Cannot open root device "nfs" or 00:ff
please append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernel panic:VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:ff

kdb >
.
.
Where do I append a "root=" option? is it a dhcp problem? in
/etc/dhcpd.conf, i did put in

 option root-path "/boothome";

along with the other options. also, when tagging the kernel image, i
also have rootdir option:
mknbi-linux zImage --output=kernel --rootdir=/boothome

nfs export is correct, i have no idea where i did wrong.

any clue?

thanks in advance.
Paul G

2. best method to detect offending NIC (slow network)

3. Simple device driver compile/load problem

4. Dollar Universe for patrol

5. problem compiling simple device-driver

6. Interbase for Redhat

7. kernel compiles root device as (3,65); boots for (3,41)

8. Lilo and OS2 Boot Manager

9. Kernel panic on boot up of newly compiled kernel

10. Problems on booting a new compiled kernel (2.2.6)

11. Compiling new kernel - problems on boot up

12. Linux Kernel Compile + Booting problems