WIN NT; WIN 95; LINUX

Post by Richard N Latho » Wed, 05 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I am considering re-doing my new PC (Pentium II 266 w/6.4 Gb HD) to have
3 OSes: WIN 95 (came on the PC - need to keep for programs used by wife
& son), WIN NT (need to learn for work) and Linux (presently administer
mainly HP-UX machines at work - prefer unix-type OS).

I notice that comp.os.linux.answers does not have a HOWTO for such a
situation. I looked through all the comp.os.linux newsgroups but found
nothing on this situation. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I'd like to hear/see what those who have been down this road think of
the experience. Worth it or not? What to consider before going this
route. Alternate ways to do the same besides partitioning the 1 HD into
3 partitions - 1 for each OS & its files. Benefits - drawbacks?

WIN NT; WIN 95; LINUX

Post by Frank Sweetse » Wed, 05 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> I am considering re-doing my new PC (Pentium II 266 w/6.4 Gb HD) to have
> 3 OSes: WIN 95 (came on the PC - need to keep for programs used by wife
> & son), WIN NT (need to learn for work) and Linux (presently administer
> mainly HP-UX machines at work - prefer unix-type OS).

> I notice that comp.os.linux.answers does not have a HOWTO for such a
> situation. I looked through all the comp.os.linux newsgroups but found
> nothing on this situation. Can someone point me in the right direction?

there's several howto's on the subject.  you can find them at
http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP, home of the linux documentation project.

paramount.res.wpi.net RedHat 4.9.1 Linux 2.0.31 i586     | at public servers
..you could spend *all day* customizing the title bar.  Believe me.  I
speak from experience."
(By Matt Welsh)

WIN NT; WIN 95; LINUX

Post by Everard Brow » Thu, 06 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> > I am considering re-doing my new PC (Pentium II 266 w/6.4 Gb HD) to have
> > 3 OSes: WIN 95 (came on the PC - need to keep for programs used by wife
> > & son), WIN NT (need to learn for work) and Linux (presently administer
> > mainly HP-UX machines at work - prefer unix-type OS).

No problems there. I have a different machine doing just that.

Simplest solution:

2 partitions:

1) Primary (min. 500Mb, recommend 2Gb+) - Install 95, then NT to get the
NT loader working correctly.

2) Primary/Extended (your choice) (min. 50Mb, recommend 1Gb+) - Install
Linux
use LILO.

Then you're away...

The reason for the ordering is that M$ OSs seem to have no regard for
any other vendor OS. Very general guideleines, and you'll probably find
that you never use the 95/NT partition(s) anyway ;-)

 Luck

PS. Only one major issue: 95/NT can't read a Linux native partition.
Linux can read the 95/NT partitions, so data shared between the M$ and
Linux applications must live on the FAT/VFAT partition(s)

WIN NT; WIN 95; LINUX

Post by Mark Mealma » Thu, 06 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I am considering re-doing my new PC (Pentium II 266 w/6.4 Gb HD) to have
> 3 OSes: WIN 95 (came on the PC - need to keep for programs used by wife
> & son), WIN NT (need to learn for work) and Linux (presently administer
> mainly HP-UX machines at work - prefer unix-type OS).

> I notice that comp.os.linux.answers does not have a HOWTO for such a
> situation. I looked through all the comp.os.linux newsgroups but found
> nothing on this situation. Can someone point me in the right direction?

> I'd like to hear/see what those who have been down this road think of
> the experience. Worth it or not? What to consider before going this
> route. Alternate ways to do the same besides partitioning the 1 HD into
> 3 partitions - 1 for each OS & its files. Benefits - drawbacks?

Why not run Win95/NT off the same Fat partition? Install '95 under \Windows
and let NT install under \Winnt. You should be able to dual boot into
either OS from the same partition.

If you install NT/95 first and then setup Linux with LILO you'll be able to
boot into LILO(on the MBR) and select either Windows or Linux. If you
select Windows you'll get kicked into the NT boot loader.

Hope that helps some.

WIN NT; WIN 95; LINUX

Post by Gavin Burne » Thu, 06 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> I am considering re-doing my new PC (Pentium II 266 w/6.4 Gb HD) to have
> 3 OSes: WIN 95 (came on the PC - need to keep for programs used by wife
> & son), WIN NT (need to learn for work) and Linux (presently administer
> mainly HP-UX machines at work - prefer unix-type OS).
[chop]
> I'd like to hear/see what those who have been down this road think of
> the experience. Worth it or not? What to consider before going this
> route. Alternate ways to do the same besides partitioning the 1 HD into
> 3 partitions - 1 for each OS & its files. Benefits - drawbacks?

Yes, I do something like this. I have one disc which is split between
VFAT and NTFS partitions and a second disc with my linux system on
it. Install WinNT after Win95 and the NT loader will load either. Then
install linux but put lilo on the boot record for the root device
(_not_ the MBR). The NT bootloader has it's ini file on the first
drive which in my case is a VFAT partition, so I can change that from
within the linux system, then just follow the HOWTO from sunsite to
setup the NT boot loader to load up lilo (basically copy the first
sector from the root device to a file on the VFAT partition, and have
the NT loader read that). Good point is that after a kernel compile
you can easily copy over the new linux boot record directly and reboot
to tryout the new kernel. Bad point is that if you get wrong you can
seriously trash things....
Gavin Burnell                           Dept. Materials Science and Metallurgy
King's College, Cambridge, UK           University of Cambridge, UK
So He was a great teacher. But what did He publish ?
                                         [from an Israeli academic]

WIN NT; WIN 95; LINUX

Post by stinge » Fri, 07 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> I am considering re-doing my new PC (Pentium II 266 w/6.4 Gb HD) to have
> 3 OSes: WIN 95 (came on the PC - need to keep for programs used by wife
> & son), WIN NT (need to learn for work) and Linux (presently administer
> mainly HP-UX machines at work - prefer unix-type OS).

> I notice that comp.os.linux.answers does not have a HOWTO for such a
> situation. I looked through all the comp.os.linux newsgroups but found
> nothing on this situation. Can someone point me in the right direction?

> I'd like to hear/see what those who have been down this road think of
> the experience. Worth it or not? What to consider before going this
> route. Alternate ways to do the same besides partitioning the 1 HD into
> 3 partitions - 1 for each OS & its files. Benefits - drawbacks?

huh.. i don't know much about linux.. (just started) but i have same
situation.. and same machine..(exept it's uw scsi 8) )
i use lilo boot and i'm very happy with that... so you can do same
thing... 8) and i think that linux is nice system specialy if doing some
c and c++ code stuff ...

WIN NT; WIN 95; LINUX

Post by Otavio Ex » Wed, 12 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>> I am considering re-doing my new PC (Pentium II 266 w/6.4 Gb HD) to
>> have 3 OSes: WIN 95 (came on the PC - need to keep for programs used
>> by wife & son), WIN NT (need to learn for work) and Linux (presently
>> administer mainly HP-UX machines at work - prefer unix-type OS).

>> I notice that comp.os.linux.answers does not have a HOWTO for such
>> a situation. I looked through all the comp.os.linux newsgroups but
>> found nothing on this situation. Can someone point me in the right
>> direction?

>> I'd like to hear/see what those who have been down this road think of
>> the experience. Worth it or not? What to consider before going this
>> route. Alternate ways to do the same besides partitioning the 1 HD
>> into 3 partitions - 1 for each OS & its files. Benefits - drawbacks?

>Why not run Win95/NT off the same Fat partition? Install '95 under
>\Windows and let NT install under \Winnt. You should be able to dual
>boot into either OS from the same partition.

I tried to do that but bumped into this: both use '\Program Files'
to store.. er.. program files; btw: anyone know of a workaround?
(I remember I used to have Netscape installed in Win95 and MSIE in
WinNT; very funny!)

Quote:>If you install NT/95 first and then setup Linux with LILO you'll
>be able to boot into LILO(on the MBR) and select either Windows or
>Linux. If you select Windows you'll get kicked into the NT boot loader.

you can also boot linux from NT boot loader; there's a small and very
nice program to do that: BootPart (look for BOOTPA20.ZIP);

--
Otavio Exel /<\oo/>\

WIN NT; WIN 95; LINUX

Post by Otavio Ex » Wed, 12 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>I am considering re-doing my new PC (Pentium II 266 w/6.4 Gb HD) to have
>3 OSes: WIN 95 (came on the PC - need to keep for programs used by wife
>& son), WIN NT (need to learn for work) and Linux (presently administer
>mainly HP-UX machines at work - prefer unix-type OS).

I'm a newbie but I have an advice for you: don't let WinDisk (NT's disk
utility) touch your hd!

--
Otavio Exel /<\oo/>\

WIN NT; WIN 95; LINUX

Post by Zill » Wed, 26 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I managed to install a three OS system as follows:
First install Win95 on the first partition.
Then install NT on the second partition (I used NTFS).
Red hat on third partition.  Let lilo rewrite the MBR, making sure it
saves a back up.  Boot up in linux, use dd to copy the first 512 bytes
of the kernal image to a floppy.  Replace the MBR with the backup
(NT's MBR).  Boot up into NT, save from the floppy into a file on the
NT partition (say bootsect.lnx) and then edit the NT loader
configuration tostart linux using this file.

bootup now takes you to the NT loader, which runs lilo, which starts
up linux.

--
Asela Gunawardana
Center for Language & Speech Processing

WIN NT; WIN 95; LINUX

Post by BaNo Kelle » Tue, 02 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> I managed to install a three OS system as follows:
> First install Win95 on the first partition.
> Then install NT on the second partition (I used NTFS).
> Red hat on third partition.  Let lilo rewrite the MBR, making sure it
> saves a back up.  Boot up in linux, use dd to copy the first 512 bytes
> of the kernal image to a floppy.  Replace the MBR with the backup
> (NT's MBR).  Boot up into NT, save from the floppy into a file on the
> NT partition (say bootsect.lnx) and then edit the NT loader
> configuration tostart linux using this file.

> bootup now takes you to the NT loader, which runs lilo, which starts
> up linux.

  thats too complicated
i had NT on hda1
and installed redhat on hdb1   and installed lilo on that partiton.
then got  a program called  BOOTPART which adds any partiton as bootable in
nt's OSloader

1. Win NT, Win 95, Linux & Samba questions

Hello,

I'm using Samba to connect several PC together.
I installed Samba without problems.
1. My printer is a canon LBP 1260+. Can anyone tell me which filter shall I
use ?
2. When I try to log on the Linux Server from a Win95 PC, Win95 asks me for
the passwd but not for the login name.
        What I forgot to configure ?

Thanks a lot for your help

        Remy

2. Unix Passwd wrapper?

3. Linux, Win 95, and Win NT Modem

4. A really bizarre NFS question

5. Installing Linux/Win 95/Win NT

6. Root exploit?

7. Win 95, Linux and Win NT 4.0 boot

8. SummaSketch *Plus*?

9. Installing Linux+Win 95+Win NT

10. Win 95+Win NT+Linux???

11. Win NT with Linux and Win 95

12. SCO OSE 5, WIN 95, WIN NT and FTP Lockup Solved

13. Slackware, Win 95, Win NT