Does lilo exist for DOS?

Post by Ken Kwasnick » Fri, 25 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi All,

Does anybody know if there's a dos version of lilo, or some way to
modify the  lilo configuration in the master boot record from dos?

Thanks,
Ken.

Does lilo exist for DOS?

Post by Villy Kru » Sat, 26 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi All,

>Does anybody know if there's a dos version of lilo, or some way to
>modify the  lilo configuration in the master boot record from dos?

Afraid not.  The lilo command needs help from the kernel to get the
absolute disk addresses of every block in the boot images, that is,
vmlinuz, and maybe the initrd file.  You could probably make a dos
program that could do this, but it needs to know everything about the
linux file systems to do this.

Villy

Does lilo exist for DOS?

Post by Cameron L. Spitz » Sat, 26 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>>Hi All,

>>Does anybody know if there's a dos version of lilo, or some way to
>>modify the  lilo configuration in the master boot record from dos?

>Afraid not.  The lilo command needs help from the kernel to get the
>absolute disk addresses of every block in the boot images, that is,
>vmlinuz, and maybe the initrd file.  You could probably make a dos
>program that could do this, but it needs to know everything about the
>linux file systems to do this.

The DOS version of /sbin/lilo would be difficult.  It would have to
understand ext2, umsdos, etc.  But an rdev(8) for LILO-on-MBR would be a
little easier.  It would have to read the LILO MBR and find the mapfile,
and from there find the first block of the selected bootimage,
using BIOS calls.
An interesting project for someone who wants to learn how disk drives
are organized on a PC-compatible.

Cameron
http://judi.greens.org/lilo/

Does lilo exist for DOS?

Post by Doug DeJul » Sat, 26 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>>Hi All,

>>Does anybody know if there's a dos version of lilo, or some way to
>>modify the  lilo configuration in the master boot record from dos?

>Afraid not.  The lilo command needs help from the kernel to get the
>absolute disk addresses of every block in the boot images, that is,
>vmlinuz, and maybe the initrd file.  You could probably make a dos
>program that could do this, but it needs to know everything about the
>linux file systems to do this.

What about something that *just* handles the "lilo -R" functionality
of LILO?

I've got multiple OSes, and sometimes I want to select which one will
boot next so I can reboot the machine and walk away for a bit.  I can
do a "lilo -R BeOS" when I'm in Linux, but not when I'm in Windows or
BeOS.
--

HKS, Incorporated | http://www.hks.net/~ddj/

Does lilo exist for DOS?

Post by David E. F » Mon, 28 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>The DOS version of /sbin/lilo would be difficult.  It would have to
>understand ext2, umsdos, etc.  But an rdev(8) for LILO-on-MBR would be a

True, but why anyone would need a DOS version of LILO mystifies
me. LILO is (of course) a boot loader, and as such no OS really
is running when LILO boots. And LILO can boot dos, or linux, or
whatever else suits your fancy.

And more to the point, I don't think LILO would necessarily use
linux file services, or dos file services in the first place (since
the OS is not loaded yet), so a "DOS" version of LILO can't even
exist any more than a "linux" LILO does.

On the other hand, the app that loads up the boot loader code could
be written for dos, and there's probably a good reason for it to
do so.

Quote:>An interesting project for someone who wants to learn how disk drives
>are organized on a PC-compatible.

Answer: very carefully. :)

Quote:

>Cameron
>http://judi.greens.org/lilo/

David E. Fox                 Tax              Thanks for letting me

Does lilo exist for DOS?

Post by Villy Kru » Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>And more to the point, I don't think LILO would necessarily use
>linux file services, or dos file services in the first place (since
>the OS is not loaded yet), so a "DOS" version of LILO can't even
>exist any more than a "linux" LILO does.

That is why the lilo _command_ does the file system lookup when
it installes the lilo loader and put the list of disk blocks into
the file /boot/map (typically) and stores the absolute disk address
of this file in the lilo code itself, so it can find the list of
diskaddresses at boot time without the help of any linux code.

That is BTW also the reason you need to run the lilo command anytime
you modify the kernel file or any of the files in the /boot directory;
well, not excatly any of the files but the files used by the lilo loader.

As for the original question, an alternative would be to have a copy
ov vmlinuz on a dos file system and use loadlin to boot it.

Villy

1. LILO: Linux + DOS-W311 + DOS/W95-Upgrade

Hello

I'm certain someone reading this has done this - have you got time to
reply?

I've read the Mini-Howto and scoured DejaNews so I have a fairly good
idea what to do, but am lacking in confidence...

My current setup is:

Booting via LILO (version 17, with REWRITE_TABLE flag)
Disk 1: 2Gb, with 4 partitions
- DOS (about 1Gb) - the default
- Linux (about 500Mb)
- Linux swap (about 128Mb) (if you've got it, flaunt it <g>)
- unused partition (about 340Mb)
(also, Disks2, 3, 4: DOS/Windows 3.11 stuff)

I wish to install Windows 95 on the unused partition for reasons beyond
the scope of this article <g>.
Obviously it is much cheaper to buy the W95 upgrade than the full
version, so this means installing another copy of DOS/Windows 3.11 and
then upgrading (I think that's legal, isn't it?).

What can I expect to happen?  Will I have to re-install LILO due to
anything that DOS/W95 does?

For those who really fancy a challenge, I also have a SCSI Syquest
removable drive which I can happily mount under Linux.  Could Windows 95
be installed on a removable drive instead, for the rare occasions when
it would be used?

Looking forward to being blinded with science...
Cheers
JR

(Disclaimer: Nothing above is anything to do with Sun UK - I'm just
visiting)

2. IPC problem

4. pthreads differences between glibc 2.0 and 2.1?

5. How to Uninstall LILO -o How to boot DOS once LILO is installed?

6. ANTISPAM UTILS NEEDED FOR AIX

7. Lilo Help: How do I default Lilo to Dos Partition?

8. 2.4.16 kernel/printk.c (per processor initialization check)

9. LILO error: Can only boot from floppy, LILO will only start dos not linux

10. mishaps with co-existing OSs (Linux and Dos Partitions)

11. Install to existing DOS Part w/UMSDOS

12. accessing dos partitions with wd7000fasst scsi, isc unix 2.2, dos[345]

13. Uninstall Linux: Deleted "non dos partition" with DOS fdisk -- Now what?!?