Swap problems, Linux 2.0.30/Slackware 3.4

Swap problems, Linux 2.0.30/Slackware 3.4

Post by bril » Mon, 24 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I am trying to create a swap file on the fourth partition of my IDE
hard disk /dev/hda4. I created the partition with fdisk, ran mkswap
-c /dev/hda4 <size of partition in blocks>, ran swapon /dev/hda4 and
received no errors.  However, when I run swapon -s to display active
swap partitions, I get the following message:

swapon: /proc/swaps: No such file or directory

I have re-compiled the kernel 2.0.30 to ensure that the proc
"filesystem" was there.  There is an entry in /etc/fstab for the proc
filesystem as well and I can "cd" to it and see/read any files there.

Not quite sure why this is happening as I'm rather new to Linux (not
Unix, just Linux).  I have looked through all the FAQs, HOWTOs, etc that
are on my system and the ones on the net as well, but have found
nothing.  Please respond via e-mail as well as a post to the group if
you have any ideas.  Thanks in advance.

--
Matthew Brill

Post by Friedhelm Mehner » Wed, 26 Nov 1997 04:00:00

: However, when I run swapon -s to display active
: swap partitions, I get the following message:

: swapon: /proc/swaps: No such file or directory

Hmm ....

Quote:> M1:~ # swapon -s
> swapon: illegal option -- s
> usage: swapon [-hV]
>       swapon -a [-v]
>       swapon [-v] [-p priority] special ...

What version of swapon are you using?

What does "free" tell you?

Regards,
Friedhelm

--
Microsoft is NOT the answer. Microsoft is the Question.
The answer is: "NO!"

1. Configuring Name Servers and DNS in Linux 2.0.30 (Slackware 3.4)

I installed linux, configured X, installed netscape, and got stuck on the
network card configuration.  (I come from an NT background).  I have two
nics in my system (one for my internal LAN and the other for my cable
modem).  I configured both of them, I can ping IP addresses on my internal
network, the external (internet via Cable) I don't know as I can't get DNS
to work.

I don't know where to start, I have two IP addresses which I put them into
resolv.conf, rebooted and nothing, I can't resolve external network
addresses.  I also configured named.boot and wrote (well, took my NT DNS
files).  After trying to run "named", I get a "can't find named.conf" error.
Whats the layout of this named.conf.  I can't find a sample configuration
anywhere..

Any help is appreciated.

--

... remove antispam from address to email ...

2. Best Cigars

3. How to get/set priority of processes

4. Can't mount 2.0.30 - kernel panic (Slackware 3.4)

5. Juergen,where are you?

6. PPP failure on Slackware 3.4, Kernel 2.0.30

7. ATI Pro Turbo 8 MB

8. FAT32 and Slackware 3.4 (2.0.30 kernel)

9. Linux Slackware 3.4 Installation Problems

10. Walnut Creek/Slackware Linux 3.4 installation problems...

11. Swap problems, Linux 2.0.30

12. Only 16MB swap space with 30 MB swap file ?