syslog newbie on Red Hat 5.1

Post by Stephen Wait » Wed, 25 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I'm running Red Hat 5.1 on an Intel platform.

I keep getting a message displayed to my screen.

linux

This worries me.  I did a  df and I see that the partition where my root
filesystem is mounted is at 98% capacity.  Could system messages harm my
system?

I've looked at /var/log/messges and I see alot of

lp1 out of paper
message repeated 6 times

How do I tell lpr to shut up?

What other steps should I take to get syslog under control?

Thanks for your time,
Steve

1. Red Hat 5.0 vs. Red Hat 5.1

Hello everybody - what a beautiful day it is! Let's not get to funked
up, and get yourself a nice little pink flower to put in a orange vase.
Then grab yourself a slice and sit down and enjoy yourself. It can be
done in lot's of different ways -- just go ahead and do it under the
green sun.

Well... Nevermind.

I'm planning to buy Red Hat 5.1 official to replace my Red Hat 5.0 with.
But before I do that I wonder if there are any disadvantages, hazards or
such with RH 5.1, compared to RH 5.0. Is the installation as safe (don't
forget LILO), and things such as X, sound-support, printers and ppp -
are they still well supported, and not buggy or so?

Thanks in advance,

/Henrik

By the way, don't let the opening of this letter make you think that I'm
not serious enough.

2. 2.6 O_APPEND/truncate bug ?

3. Newbie Problems - Red Hat 5.1 can't find HD

4. parent/child communicating via /dev/tty

5. NEWBIE: I can't build kermit on Red Hat 5.1

6. SmartAX MT882 huawei modem

7. Newbie: Red Hat 5.1 installation

8. Simple question about DIAL IN (mgetty) , please help

9. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

10. Red Hot Red Hat 5.1 Bundles

11. Intel V2740 AGP and Red Hat linux 5.1 ???

12. SCSI not found in install - Adaptec 1522B PnP + Red Hat 5.1

13. Burning a Red Hat 5.1 CD under Windoze