Device-driver for a beginner?

Post by k » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 22:57:58

Would anyone suggest  device-driver that could be built and tested
with minimal hardware resources- actually I'm a begnner to
device-drivers and want to test whether I have got the concepts right
?
Any suggestions for a home-made board connectible through the COM
ports or USB ports which we have available (Linux 2.4) ?

Device-driver for a beginner?

Post by Eric Moor » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 00:00:46

Quote:> Would anyone suggest  device-driver that could be built and tested
> with minimal hardware resources- actually I'm a begnner to
> device-drivers and want to test whether I have got the concepts right
> ?
> Any suggestions for a home-made board connectible through the COM
> ports or USB ports which we have available (Linux 2.4) ?

Go to www.tldp.org and download

"the linux kernel module programming guide."

It'll get you started.

Eric

Post by mjt » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 13:29:27

> Would anyone suggest  device-driver that could be built and tested
> with minimal hardware resources- actually I'm a begnner to
> device-drivers and want to test whether I have got the concepts right

#define MODULE
#include <linux/module.h>

int init_module(void)
{ printk( "howdy from the module world\n" ) ;
  return( 0 ) ;

Quote:}

void cleanup_module( void )
{ printk( "happy trails from the module world - later gator\n" );
Quote:}

.

1. Device drivers for beginners

I've never written Solaris device driver, so I'm an absolute beginner here.
I'd like to have /dev/foo whose sole purpose should be sending all of
its input to userland food (nice name for a daemon :-) process. So, when
I issue `echo "Some data here" >/dev/foo', that string should be transferred
to the daemon. I'd also need some basic ioctl() stuff for control,
but that should be limitted to passing constants, without anything fancy.

Can anyone point me to some example sources?

--
 .-.   .-.    I'm paid for my brain, not my ability not to use it.
(_  \ /  _)

2. Y2K Problem in Internet Explorer

3. Beginner : Device driver

4. Ethernet Card Plus Elite 16

5. beginner device driver help/question

6. Why not outside of USA?

7. Network Device Driver: A beginners question ...

8. Just try this, it will work

9. Device driver calling another device driver.

10. Device driver question (generic device driver)

11. Help:How to log at Device-Driver?

12. PCI device vs SCSI device driver

13. How to write a device-driver?