re-compiling kernel, where is the current configuration?

re-compiling kernel, where is the current configuration?

Post by Lupei Zh » Fri, 02 Feb 2001 07:59:50

Hi,

  I'd like to recompile the linux kernel (2.2.16-22) on my RH7.0 Dell
laptop. The reason is for sound
support, I am having problem compiling ALSA sound drivers (unresolved
symbols ...).  The RH7.0
was installed out of the CD and there is no linux source tree
installed.  So, I manually installed the
source tree from the tar file (linux-2.2.16-22.tar.gz). but before I
reconfigure the kernel, I'd like to
get the current configuration so that I need to only add a few change on
top of it. the question is:
where is the current configuration file kept?

  thanks

 Lupei

re-compiling kernel, where is the current configuration?

Post by Eggert Ehmk » Fri, 02 Feb 2001 20:11:12

Quote:>top of it. the question is:
>where is the current configuration file kept?

It's always in the root of the linux source tree: .config

So copy the .config from the old source tree to the new tree. At first you
should do a
make oldconfig
so the new configuration options will be worked in. Then do a
make menuconfig
or
make xconfig
to add your specific items.

make dep bzImage modules modules_install

cu

--
Eggert Ehmke

1. Kernel re-compiling: read carefully

I'm trying desperately to compile again my kernel under RedHat 4.1 in
order to configure my sound device and to establish a ppp connection.
I tried with make config, but it yeld no results! I'm desperate,
'ccause the RH toolbar shows the possibility to add some devices, but
i didn't completely understood which is referre to my SounBlaster
compatible device!
I heard about a GUI tool to configure kernel, named Snap or something
similar...does someone know of it?( And, possibly, could he send it to
me via e-mail  as bianry attachment to my address, thanks?).
Please, take me away from this empasse, and let me get out of
Wintrash95 ;-)

P.S.Ehm, my internet service is going to expire...So, please, i would
appreciate a fast answer, indeed. Hope not to have bored you.. Thanks
a lot!

2. DHCP protocol en Pandora

3. Re-compiling the Kernel

4. PLIP problems. BIG ONES!

5. Re-compiling kernel witrh CD rom

6. make.conf w/ 5.0-RELEASE?

7. Re-Compiling the Kernel...

8. ZIP Drive dead in Mac and Linux!

9. Make problems re-compiling kernel 2.0.34-0.6

10. Trouble with re-compiling kernel

11. Re-Compiling Kernel 2.0.30

12. Kernel re-compiling: read carefully

13. Re-compiling the kernel?