Boot Problems

Post by John Battl » Fri, 28 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I vrecently installed a new IDE drive on my Dell WS-400 Workstation
shich was set up to dual boot Linus/NT on its original 4-Gig SCSI
drive.  According to Dell, there is no way to make the BIOS boot from
the SCSI if the IDE drive is turned on.  I prefer not to re-install
Windows NT or Linux, since everything is working good now on both.  I
tried copying the entire NT partition (using Partition Magic) to the IDE
drive, but when I try to boot from it now I get the Blus Screen of Death
if I choose NT and the good old LI... when I try to boot Linux.  Any
ideas (besides reinstalling)  Help!!!!!!!!

Boot Problems

Post by Dances With Cro » Fri, 28 Apr 2000 04:00:00

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000 09:23:17 -0600, John Battle

Quote:>I vrecently installed a new IDE drive on my Dell WS-400 Workstation
>shich was set up to dual boot Linus/NT on its original 4-Gig SCSI
>drive.  According to Dell, there is no way to make the BIOS boot from
>the SCSI if the IDE drive is turned on.  I prefer not to re-install
>Windows NT or Linux, since everything is working good now on both.  I
>tried copying the entire NT partition (using Partition Magic) to the IDE
>drive, but when I try to boot from it now I get the Blus Screen of Death
>if I choose NT and the good old LI... when I try to boot Linux.  Any
>ideas (besides reinstalling)  Help!!!!!!!!

Can you boot from a Linux boot floppy?  If so, try this:

Create a small Linux partition on /dev/hda and mount it under /boot.
COpy your kernel image from your SCSI disk to the new /boot.  Then, edit
/etc/lilo.conf so that it's like so:

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
   root=/dev/sdaX    #change to whatever you have / mounted on
   label=linux
other=/dev/sdaY      #change to LoseNT root filesystem
   table=/dev/sda

Now LILO is on the MBR of the IDE drive and it can get to the Linux kernel
files with no problems, so the machine should boot OK.  Of course, you'll
want to partition the IDE drive so that Linux and NT can be happy using
its space, but I'm sure you know how to do that already.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| Programmers are playwrights
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| Computers are lousy actors

Boot Problems

Post by stev » Sat, 29 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> I vrecently installed a new IDE drive on my Dell WS-400 Workstation
> shich was set up to dual boot Linus/NT on its original 4-Gig SCSI
> drive.  According to Dell, there is no way to make the BIOS boot from
> the SCSI if the IDE drive is turned on.  I prefer not to re-install
> Windows NT or Linux, since everything is working good now on both.  I
> tried copying the entire NT partition (using Partition Magic) to the IDE
> drive, but when I try to boot from it now I get the Blus Screen of Death
> if I choose NT and the good old LI... when I try to boot Linux.  Any
> ideas (besides reinstalling)  Help!!!!!!

I assume you used LILO with the scsi drive, correct? Did you have a
boot-disk
for your scsi system? If so, you need to install LILO on the MBR of the IDE
drive.
Something like:
boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/sda1
There is no reason that you cannot boot off the IDE drive and mount the
SCSI drive as
root, so you don't need to move any partitions around. You don't need to
mount the IDE
drive at all, if you don't want to. I've had systems with just this
configuration for years.

1. dual-HD, dual-boot problem ... booting Win98 fails on hdb

I put one harddisk in my computer and installed Mandrake7.2.  I then
popped this disk out, popped a new disk in, and installed Windoze 98
on it. I then made this disk the slave (hdb) and put back in my
Mandrake disk as hda, and then booted into Linux (using grub).
Mandrake recognizes my /dev/hdb when I mount it automatically as
/mnt/win98. So, the problem I'm about to describe doesn't seem to be a
problem with the harddisk, slave setting, etc.

I then used DrakConf to change my grub configuration so that it
associated win98 with /dev/hdb1. I then tried rebooting, booting linux
through grub still works fine, but when I choose win98 through grub, I
got the following error:

Booting 'win98'
root(hd1,0)
Error: selected disk does not exist.

I assume that this error is related to the fact that when win98 was
installed on hdb, it was actually hda at the time.  Now it's confused
b/c it's hdb. ??  (said another way: I think the problem is confusion
over the fact that windows was originally installed when that disk was
hda, but now it's hdb.)

I recently read (somewhere on usenet) the following suggestion:

the "map" command under GRUB would trick this second drive (hd1) to
think
that it owned the first partiition, thereby allowing it to dual boot.

#################################
# /boot/grub/menu.lst - generated by Lizard

*** Linux lines cut out to save space

# for booting Windows 98

title  = win98
root  = (hd1,0)
makeactive
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
chainloader +1
###################################

So, I tried this, but not knowing anything about grub, I
think I used the grub command to install it incorrectly,
because when I tried to reboot, grub failed to work properly
at all, and I had to boot with my boot floppy.

So, how can I solve this? Is the grub map approach the
right direction? If so, how do I do it correctly (e.g.,
what do I need to type on the command line after editing
the menu.lst file?)

If not, is there another way. I had a similar problem a couple
of years ago, and someone suggested that I use a program
(which I don't remember the name of) that allowed me to
go in and (I believe) edit the master boot record on my
windows hard drive to tell it that it was now the hdb
drive. I did that successfully that time. Should I try
that again, and if so, what's the program called that
allows me to edit it?

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. SAS under Linux?

3. Lilo boot problem: doesn't boot dos (invalid media type)

4. TCP/IP Applications FAQ

5. Slackware Boot Disks booting problems

6. dual CPU

7. Boot problem of the 2nd disk: defective boot record

8. Telnet Question

9. booting problems: linux dual boot

10. 2.2-GAMMA-0225 boot floppy causing boot problem

11. Win95 boot problems on multi-boot LILO system

12. NT/LIINUX dual boot problem: NT boot failed

13. boot problem with boot floppy