MWave miroCONNECT HELP!!!

Post by Robert D Harwe » Sat, 06 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I recently purchased an MWave DSP based "miroCONNECT Multimedia" sound
card. It is very similar to the MWave Office F/X card and is supposed to
be Microsoft Sound System Compatible (low-level).

I can not, however, for the life of me get the card to work with
sound-support under linux. It's supposed to emulate an SB-Pro but I
don't know if that's low-level or what...

If ANYONE has had ANY experience with this card or this kind of card
(using the MWave DSP chip) PLEASE let me know anything you can. I can't
get the DSP or the standard audio to work. (the card works for sure and
checks out PERFECTLY under DOS.

Best,
Rob

MWave miroCONNECT HELP!!!

Post by Erik Tro » Sat, 06 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>If ANYONE has had ANY experience with this card or this kind of card
>(using the MWave DSP chip) PLEASE let me know anything you can. I can't
>get the DSP or the standard audio to work. (the card works for sure and
>checks out PERFECTLY under DOS.

Send it back. People are starting to talk about MWave drivers for Linux, but
no progress has been made yet.

The problem is the SB emulation is done in DSP software, not hardware. You
need to get the right software loaded onto the DSP before it works.

Erik

   Always hoped that I'd be an apostle. Knew that I would make it if I tried.
     Then when we retire we can write the gospels so they'll all talk about
         us when we die. - "The Last Supper" from Jesus Christ Superstar

MWave miroCONNECT HELP!!!

Post by Adam Megac » Sun, 07 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> >If ANYONE has had ANY experience with this card or this kind of card
> >(using the MWave DSP chip) PLEASE let me know anything you can. I can't
> >get the DSP or the standard audio to work. (the card works for sure and
> >checks out PERFECTLY under DOS.

> Send it back. People are starting to talk about MWave drivers for Linux, but
> no progress has been made yet.

> The problem is the SB emulation is done in DSP software, not hardware. You
> need to get the right software loaded onto the DSP before it works.

This *can* be done. Boot up Win95 or Dos (with the DSP drivers). Then
either use LoadLin or Ctrl-Alt-Del to reboot (DO NOT HIT RESET, OR TURN
OFF THE POWER). The card will then come up as an SBPro. However, the
modem may/may not work. FYI, progress IS being made. The biggest
obstacle until now has been finding a head programmer. One has been
found. They are working on a "driver converter" to let the Win95 drivers
work under Linux (yes, due to the nature of the MWave, this *is*
possible). There's a mailing list that notifies people of progress.

  - Adam

MWave miroCONNECT HELP!!!

Post by Ivo Wel » Sun, 07 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I own a thinkpad 755CX with built-in mwave.  It turns out that I no longer
have the mwave stuff installed (disk space problems), but I can tell you
that once upon a time it worked.  More relevant, linux was able to use the
sound feature (SB emulation) of the mwave.  The trick was simply to first
set the mwave into soundblaster emulation in DOS ("> call mwgames on"),
then to use loadlinux on a kernel that had soundblaster support enabled,
and it just worked.

I never did manage to get the fax features to work, so I also own a MHz
modem.  For the finest piece of software and the best support ever, I must
commend David Hinds---his PCMCIA software is just stellar.  A class easier
than DOS.  It drives my Kingston Ethernet card, my SCSI bustoaster card,
and my MHz modem card.

Good luck.

/ivo welch

--

Assoc Prof of Finance           Anderson GSM at UCLA
        110 Westwood Plaza, Box 951481, LA CA 90095-1481

1. MWave miroCONNECT HELP!!!

The above should work for getting SB emulation and the CD-ROM port working when
using DOS to initialize the hardware.  I don't know if Win95 would work, though;
I'd expect Win95 to use Mwave-specific drivers rather than SB emulation for the
board, and if so, Win95 wouldn't work.  This procedure will *NOT* work to get
the Mwave modem functions working under Linux, though; for that, you'd either
need native Linux Mwave drivers and a Linux Mwave Modem applet or you'd need
some way to get the DOS or Windows stuff working under Linux's appropriate
emulators, and the last I knew, that didn't work, either.

If your primary OS is Linux, then Mwave is not a good hardware item.  Whether a
genuine SB is the best choice is, of course, debatable (there are lots of other
good sound boards out there that are supported by Linux), but SB would be better
than Mwave for Linux use.  Ditto for most non-PnP modems.

| Rod Smith                             Author of:               |

| http://psych.colorado.edu/~rsmith     "OS/2 Soundcard Summary" |

2. Help: new kernel build with ppp

3. miroConnect 34 driver for linux ?

4. ipchains doesn't recognize rsync

5. Help: IBM Thinkpad Mwave Hack and /dev/ttyS1

6. Want to set up a SLIP/PPP Server, Need HELP!

7. Help!! Setting up Mwave modem

8. Motif application problem in kde/gnome

9. Looking for DSP Modem (MWave) help on DOS end

10. Help setting up MWave modem

11. IBM's Mwave multimedia modem on linux help

12. Help with Mwave Modem

13. mwave modem, RedHat 5.0 and KDE...Help!