Change default window manager to 'olvm'

Post by M.C. Wa » Thu, 12 May 1994 18:22:01

  Is it possible to change 'fvwm' window manager which is default one
when I execute 'startx' in command line to 'olwm' (OpenLook window
manager)?
  I already tried to execute 'olvm' in command line but it doesn't
work. What's wrong? Please Help! Thanks!

Regards,
MC Wai

Post by Christopher Andrew Smi » Fri, 13 May 1994 16:38:35

>  Is it possible to change 'fvwm' window manager which is default one
>when I execute 'startx' in command line to 'olwm' (OpenLook window
>manager)?
>  I already tried to execute 'olvm' in command line but it doesn't
>work. What's wrong? Please Help! Thanks!

Try putting the `olvm' command in your .xinitrc file.

If you don't have one already, make a file called .xinitrc in your
home directory. Everytime you `startx' this file is sourced. Mine follows
as an example:

xrdb -merge ~/.Xdefaults
xli -onroot /usr/local/pics/julia.gif
xclock -bg tan  -digital -geometry +135+88 &
xload -geometry +0+180 &
xterm -bg snow3 -fg black -sb -sl 500 -T SuperUser -geometry 90x30+130+130 &
xhost +
fvwm

Note that I use fvwm :-) (you probably have more than my 8M of RAM)

Hope this helps,

|Christopher Smith           | With a * duck, one's never alone.  |

Post by Russell Mar » Sat, 14 May 1994 04:32:44

| Try putting the `olvm' command in your .xinitrc file.
[...]
| xrdb -merge ~/.Xdefaults
| xli -onroot /usr/local/pics/julia.gif
| xclock -bg tan  -digital -geometry +135+88 &
| xload -geometry +0+180 &
| xterm -bg snow3 -fg black -sb -sl 500 -T SuperUser -geometry 90x30+130+130 &
| xhost +
| fvwm

Change this to exec fvwm to save a little bit of memory. It would've been
swapped out anyway (the shell running .xinitrc) but it's nicer to use exec
for the last command, I reckon.

| Note that I use fvwm :-) (you probably have more than my 8M of RAM)

I have 4M. I personally would not touch olvm with *somebody else's* barge
pole. :)

| --
| ========================================================================
| |Christopher Smith           | With a * duck, one's never alone.  |

| ========================================================================

Cheers,
-Rus.

--

\ ::: "His world is under anaesthetic - subdivided and synthetic" - Rush ::: /

1. Boot Manager diddler to change 'default' boot ?

Let's say you can remotely access your box under either OS/2 or Linux.
Let's say you want to remotely switch between the two OS's. How ?

Has anyone bothered to write a Boot Manager diddler that
will navigate into BM's partition and change the default boot
field ?

I've done some preliminary poking around under DOS (when I was
first irritated that IBM provided an OS/2-only executable
(rather than family mode) to allow one to change BM's config)
but haven't yet got around to doing a bullet-proofed multi-platform
util.  If anyone's done it, I need not bother.  If anyone's interested,
let me know.

kk

2. UMSDOS Boot trouble with Slackware

3. Changed windows manager to NextStep but can't get back to FVWM

4. stupid question - KDE and unix login

5. Can't change Window Manager!

6. Windoz 2000

7. Changing default 'blue' color in Workshop Visual

8. reading fat32 partition

9. how do I change the default 'X' mouse cursor?

10. how to change the default output of 'time' command

11. change default 'xhost' control

12. FTP'ed files default to '-rw-r--r--' i need '-rw-------'

13. XF 4.0 + any window manager: "can't resolve symbol 'XmuCvt*****String"