help with IDE CDRW

Post by Christia » Sat, 18 Dec 1999 04:00:00

how can i use my cdrw with Xcdroast and what do i need and how do i used
those  .tar files and how can i put     parport_pc on my boot i have to
load this everytime i want to use my Zip drive and printer

RedHat 6.1

help with IDE CDRW

Post by <dmad.. » Sat, 18 Dec 1999 04:00:00

ok... first the thing that I hope turns out to be easy....

edit /etc/conf.modules
add the line

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc

reboot... I think that's it.  or recompile your kernel and compile the
support directly into the kernel instead of the module.

the syntax to untar a file is

tar -xf filename.tar

or

tar -xzf filename.tar.gz

to make a tar file... check the man page

man tar

As for Xcdroast:
Make sure you have SCSI support either as a module or compiled into the
kernel.  You will also need a generic loopback device as a module or
compiled into the kernel.  (Yes, I know you mentioned IDE, but the driver
is for SCSI so you have to fool it.)
Now, download and untar the source for xcdroast.  In the root of the source
tree, you should find a script called MAKEDEVICES.sh.  Run this as root.
Now try to compile XCDRoast and run it.

> how can i use my cdrw with Xcdroast and what do i need and how do i used
> those  .tar files and how can i put     parport_pc on my boot i have to
> load this everytime i want to use my Zip drive and printer

> RedHat 6.1

1. IDE CDRW and ide-scsi fun?

I have a DVD-CDRW:

'SONY    ' 'DVD RW DRU-510A ' '1.0a' Removable CD-ROM

If I compile ide-cd and ide-scsi into the kernel I can see the drives
but cdrecord doesn't recognize them, even if I specify the device (2,0,0).
If I compile either one in and modularize the other I get the same
thing.  If I modularize both and then load them:

modprobe ide-scsi
modprobe ide-cd

They load just fine.

I've currently got my burn script which sets my common options to load
and unload the modules but this strikes me as a rather hackish way
around the problem.

Kernel is 2.4.20 through 2.4.21-rc7-ac1.

Robert

:wq!
Robert L. Harris                     | GPG Key ID: E344DA3B

DISCLAIMER:
      These are MY OPINIONS ALONE.  I speak for no-one else.

Diagnosis: witzelsucht

  application_pgp-signature_part
< 1K Download

2. 2.4.18-rc2-ac2

3. IDE CDRW HELP

4. Can you hand-config the KDE2 menus?

5. HELP! IDE CDRW NOT DETECTED!

6. Software?

7. IDE CDRW -> SCSI: Need HELP PLS.

8. How to authenticate a client to a server?

9. kernel craps out accessing Sony CDRW with ide-scsi

10. IDE CDRW and Backup questions

11. hd/cdrw problems, ide-scsi, etc.

12. Add IDE CDRW to system with SCSI-host adapter AHA-1542

13. 2.4.20-pre5-ac3 IDE CDRW panic (reproducible)