LILO- fix-table, ignore-table, and 1024 cyl.

LILO- fix-table, ignore-table, and 1024 cyl.

Post by Phil S. Fa » Wed, 07 Dec 1994 06:07:09

I installed slakware 2.0.2 on my P5-90 that has two WD 1 Gig
drives on it.  To install LILO, I had to use the fix-table
option to install it.  Since the docs warned against this,
I have been looking for a way to fix the problem correctly.
I have noticed in some of the other posts that some people
are using ignore-table instead (which I haven't seen any
references about).  So, what are the differences
between these two "fixes", and what are the possible side effects?

In addition, I tried several different partition layouts while
experimenting to see if the partition table problem was related
to size and distribution of the partitions.  At one point,
I had my 2nd hard drive configured with 10M DOS, 400M root Linux,
32M swap, everything else Linux. This honors the boot and swap
below 1024 cylinders.  Currently, I have 10M DOS, 32M swap, and
the rest Linux boot.  It is working fine for the moment, but what
kind of trouble am I asking for with this boot partition spanning
the 1024 cylinder limit?  If it is working now, does that mean
my system is okay or is it just waiting to bite me when more
of the software/users are installed?

Please, help!

Phil

1. HELP (PLEASE) LILO needed fix-table to install on IDE drive

Help!  I'm at wits end (which wasn't a very long trip).  I've
installed Linux on my PC but the installation isn't clean and I would
like to correct the problem before it bites me.  My system is
basically a Gateway 2000 system.  Some pertinent information is:

INT PCI P54C Motherboard (P5-90)
2 Western Digital 1 GB IDE Hard drives
Mitsumi Double Speed CD ROM Double Speed Drive Model FX001D
16 MB RAM
Combo Disk Drives (5.25" & 3.5")

I have the first drive dedicated to DOS/Windows and installed the
Slackware release off of the latest (October 1994) Infomagic CD.
With a few minor hitches the installation was pretty easy.  (My
biggest problem was determining that I needed to use "ramdisk
hd=2100,64,63 hd=2100,64,63" as the syntax to get the boot and
root disks to work correctly).  When I went to install install Lilo on
my master boot record, it complained about the partition table and
refused to install.  I added a line with "fix-table" to lilo.conf and
it installed and seems to be working correctly.  The lilo
documentation does not recommend this method and says it is better to
correct the problem than let Lilo do it.  My question is, How?  I've
had both 1.1.09 and 1.1.18 kernel working on my machine.

I've tried making all partitions start below the 1024 cylinder limit.
I've set it up as large 1 Gig partitions.  Each gives similar results.
The only side effect that I've noticed was that FDISK /MBR did
uninstall Lilo but left DOS/Windows unbootable from that drive.  What
is the correct way to fix this problem?  And if there isn't any, What
other problems should I be looking for?  I hate to do too much more
installation of software until I'm sure I'm not going to have to
reformat again.

Thanks for any help.

Phil

2. USB 2.0 via VIA?

3. where are process-table, region-table, inode-table?

4. Comtrol RocketPort Prices

5. LILO needed fix-table to install on IDE drive

6. coda kernel skew

7. C programming Error : Assertion failed: table->edgeH == VL_EDGE_NO_WRITE || table->edgeH == VL_EDGE_ZERO_FILL || table ?

8. disk quotas invalid argument

9. lilo not working on my old 486 and disk geo > 1024 cyl

10. breaking the 1024 cyls boundry for lilo

11. Installing lilo on a >1024 cyl SCSI HD?

12. LILO doesnt like > 1024 cyls? - help please

13. Lilo boot over cyl 1024