Linux support for NeoMagic video card

Post by Guoliang X » Tue, 16 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

    Are there any support for NeoMagic video card from XFree86
or Xmetro?  I am installing RedHat linux on a NEC notebook and
am having difficulties getting X to work.

Thank you for your help.

Guoliang Xue

Guoliang Xue                        88    Office: 325 Votey Building
Assistant Professor                 88    Phone:  (802) 656-8688

Post by Achim Oppel » Tue, 16 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>     Are there any support for NeoMagic video card from XFree86
> or Xmetro?  I am installing RedHat linux on a NEC notebook and
> am having difficulties getting X to work.

XFree86 doesn't support NeoMagic cards because NeoMagic do not provide the
necessary documentations. Accelerated X from Xi Graphics (www.xig.com)
supports at least the laptop chipsets from NeoMagic - you can try their
demo to see if it works for you. I don't know about MetroX.

Achim

Linux support for NeoMagic video card

Post by Sam Trenhol » Wed, 17 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I don't know about MetroX.

MetroX does not work with the NeoMagic chipset.

Someone please remind me to make a list of laptops using this chipset, so
that I can make a webpage of "don't buy these laptops unless you are
willing to pay $200 to have these work with Linux".

NeoMagic really needs to come to their senses on this issue, the way
Diamond, Matrox, and others have.

- Sam

--
"You can...turn sadness into laughter" -- Sunscreem, _Love_U_More_

Linux support for NeoMagic video card

Post by Edmund Humenberge » Wed, 17 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Dear Linux users!

This is the right way to deal with companies like Neomagic.
I didnt find any emailadress so I hat to use the staffing
emailadress.

ed

Dear sales staff!

Please tell us in what laptops your chipset is used.
We need to tell our Linux customers what laptops not to buy
because they use your graphic chip. We will do so until
your company will release the programming infos about your
chipset.

thank you

Edmund Humenberger

(CEO LICON)

PS: Cyrix, Matrox and Diamond had to learn this lesson
the hard way too.

Linux support for NeoMagic video card

Post by David Rudd » Wed, 17 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Um, how about something more diplomatic?  Like:

Dear sales staff,
        I would very much like to know which laptop computers have
your NeoMagic chipsets.  Unfortunately, I need to know this because my
system is incompatible with your products.  Knowing which laptops you
are in allows me to purchase a correct system and not waste either or
our times with returns.

        I am a Linux user.  Linux is a free Unix like system.  Your
company does not support this system and will not release the specs so
a third party driver can be made.  This means that I can not use your
system and would like to avoid buying one.

        Suppling me with your product list will mean that you do not
have to receive tech support calls, returns and angry letters from me
and other Linux users.  Since we can not work together, your help will
allow both of us to work apart.

        In the past there have been other video card manufacturers
that have had the same opinion as yours.  Diamond and Matrox are two
that come to mind.  Since their chipsets are in far fewer laptops,
they had fewer problems with people accidentally buying their
products. Eventually, they saw the market they were loosing and all
the money lost on supporting via phone and email those they wouldn't
support via product spec.  I hope you come to the same conclusion
soon.

        Until then, please accept my apologies on my inability to buy
your product and please release to me which laptops your products are
in.  It will make life a lot easier on both of us.

                        -Joe (or Jane) Linux User

>Dear Linux users!

>This is the right way to deal with companies like Neomagic.
>I didnt find any emailadress so I hat to use the staffing
>emailadress.

>ed

>Dear sales staff!

>Please tell us in what laptops your chipset is used.
>We need to tell our Linux customers what laptops not to buy
>because they use your graphic chip. We will do so until
>your company will release the programming infos about your
>chipset.

>thank you

>Edmund Humenberger

>(CEO LICON)

>PS: Cyrix, Matrox and Diamond had to learn this lesson
>the hard way too.

Linux support for NeoMagic video card

Post by John Rudeli » Wed, 17 Dec 1997 04:00:00

F.Y.I NeoMagic publishes the list of computers with their chip at the
following U.R.L.

http://www.neomagic.com/nmeuser.html

I was considering three laptops and unfortunately all three were on the
list. I finally did purchase an IBM 310ED ThinkPad and Xfree humms on
the baby - it has the C&T65550.

Signed "proud owner of a non neomagic laptop"

> Um, how about something more diplomatic?  Like:

1. Neomagic NGM5 256-bit video card support

Hi,
        I'm looking into buying a Gateway 2000 FireAnt. This machine has
the NeoMagic NGM5 256-bit video card. I know that there is support forthe
128 bit cards, but what about the 256 bit cards? Any help or pointers
would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

2. KXLC005 support

3. neomagic video card support reqd

4. shared filesystem

5. NeoMagic video chipset supported on linux??

6. Volume groups

7. I find PCI video grabber(or video capture card) supporting Linux

8. Redhat 5.2 and KDE 1.1

9. neomagic, Toshiba Tecra 8000 and neomagic video

10. Help ! Driver for video card NeoMagic

11. NeoMagic Video Card for Dell Latitude ?

12. neomagic video card and pcmcia

13. Send NeoMagic video card producer this email!