Upgrade Question

Post by Eric Peterso » Sat, 17 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
    I am upgrading my games machine (Win9x) to a celeron & 6Gig drive.  I
plan to take the Pentium board & 1.6Gig drive from it and upgrade my Linux
machine (old 486 with 2 x 300Meg drives).

    My Linux installation is basically Slackware96 with upgraded kernel with
diald and Samba (also XFree86).  Not much else.

    My question is: am I better off transferring my complete existing
installation, or should I install a completely new distribution such as Red
Hat 5.2 or the latest Slackware?

    Thanks for your help.

    Eric F. Peterson.

    Politically Incorrect, and Proud!

1. Upgrade Linux after hardware upgrades question

Wow ! impressive !
the boot.ini thing is just so funny !

you don't have to re-install your system, you just have to configure X to
use the PS/2 mouse. The only difficulty is that PCI card modem (probably
a winmodem ?) are not actually supported by Linux.

re-installing is just a totally time loss. In last resort upgrading ...
if you really want to use your new cd !
If you want to keep all of your hardly configured system ... the safest
is to upgrade by hand at package level

2. Quick FSTAB question

3. RedHat 2.0.30 upgrade question

4. egcs 1.0.x internal symbol problems

5. Various upgrade questions (long), please advise.

6. Info on OPTICAL DISCS for Unix Vaxen sought

7. A simple upgrade question

8. proxy set up in communicator 4.03

9. Version upgrade question

10. VACMAN to Shiva Access Manager upgrade question.

11. upgrade questions

12. another upgrading question

13. Newbie Upgrade question