Extracting Netscape from RedHat CD?

Post by Gordon D. Anderso » Mon, 19 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I purchased a RedHat package, but after looking it over, installed
Slackware instead.  This is just a personal thing, but RedHat seemed too
automatic without much explanation, and I wanted to try to understand the
installation and configuration process.  Slackware is fine.

Netscape has not yet been installed and I didn't get a copy with
Slackware.  It's too big to download.  There is a copy of Netscape on one
of the RedHat CDs and I am wondering if there is someway to get at and
install that without using the RPM.  Am I overlooking something obvious
here?  Thanks.

Extracting Netscape from RedHat CD?

Post by Perry P » Tue, 20 Jul 1999 04:00:00

On Sun, 18 Jul 1999 16:53:55 GMT, Gordon D. Anderson

>I purchased a RedHat package, but after looking it over, installed
>Slackware instead.  This is just a personal thing, but RedHat seemed too
>automatic without much explanation, and I wanted to try to understand the
>installation and configuration process.  Slackware is fine.

>Netscape has not yet been installed and I didn't get a copy with
>Slackware.  It's too big to download.  There is a copy of Netscape on one
>of the RedHat CDs and I am wondering if there is someway to get at and
>install that without using the RPM.  Am I overlooking something obvious
>here?  Thanks.

Does your slackware have rpm2cpio and cpio?? If so, you can convert the
rpm to a cpio file and get the files within it with cpio.

Perry

--
Show the code....or hit the road.

Perry Piplani                www.open-systems.com

Post by Sitaram Chamar » Tue, 20 Jul 1999 04:00:00

On Sun, 18 Jul 1999 16:53:55 GMT, Gordon D. Anderson

>I purchased a RedHat package, but after looking it over, installed
>Slackware instead.  This is just a personal thing, but RedHat seemed too
>automatic without much explanation, and I wanted to try to understand the
>installation and configuration process.  Slackware is fine.

>Netscape has not yet been installed and I didn't get a copy with
>Slackware.  It's too big to download.  There is a copy of Netscape on one
>of the RedHat CDs and I am wondering if there is someway to get at and
>install that without using the RPM.  Am I overlooking something obvious
>here?  Thanks.

If you can install rpm itself, you'll get a tool called
"rpm2cpio".  Or - even better - get some friend who has RedHat
installed to run this for you and get you cpio versions of the
netscape RPMs you want.

Then cpio them out and you should be all set.

(untested)

1. tar question: how do I extract some files without extracting directories

For example, if I have foo.tar.gz consisting of:

foo/
    bar/
      baz/
        file1.png

What (GNU) tar options do I have to use to extract the file 'file1.png'
to ~/tmp without the directory hierarchy 'foo/bar/baz'?

Something like:

   $ tar zx ~/tmp/file1.png f foo.tar.gz   #This does not work...

Should produce:

~/tmp/
    file1.png

Any thoughts?

TIA,

    Erik.

2. NE2000 initialization problem

3. tar question: how do I extract some files without extracting directories.

4. How to get a process name?

5. How to extract data from a self extracting .exe file for Windows?

6. -redirect_port is still a no show

7. Extracting CLIENT_CERT in Servlets under Netscape Enterprise Server

8. smc-ircc freeze kernel

9. lost timer interrupts when doing audio CD burn/extract

10. how to extract source code from cd's

11. I want to extract base openssh files from install CD

12. What's a good CD-Rom to extract audio digitally?

13. extract CD-ROM files?