newly exposed to linux server with 98 clients

newly exposed to linux server with 98 clients

Post by scot k » Sat, 09 Jun 2001 00:02:49

Hi:  I'm a school tech coordinator who just changed schools from a
nice, tidy, boring NT 4.0 network with 98 clients to a linux server
with 98 clients.  I have many questions, but my first one is available
educational software for linux.  For example, we want a typing program
with network admin/database capability.  I see "runtime revolution"
has a ten thumbs product for linux..but does it include a win98 client
usability?

I have thousands of other questions, but will stick to this now...with
the wider question of general educational Linux network software
hovering over all.

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions most appreciated...

Scot Key
Amy Biehl Charter School
ABQ, NM USA

Post by Peter T. Breue » Sat, 09 Jun 2001 00:50:52

> educational software for linux.  For example, we want a typing program

What's a "typing program?"?

Quote:> with network admin/database capability.  I see "runtime revolution"

???

Peter

Post by Dave Uhrin » Sat, 09 Jun 2001 07:55:12

>> educational software for linux.  For example, we want a typing program

> What's a "typing program?"?

>> with network admin/database capability.  I see "runtime revolution"

> ???

> Peter

That's a school he is at.  A "typing program" is most likely a tutorial.  I
had several for MS-DOS for my children.

Post by John Hasle » Sat, 09 Jun 2001 08:47:01

Quote:Dave Uhring writes:
> That's a school he is at.  A "typing program" is most likely a tutorial.

A typing tutorial with network admin/database capability?
--
John Hasler

Dancing Horse Hill
Elmwood, Wisconsin

Post by scot k » Sat, 09 Jun 2001 14:23:04

> Dave Uhring writes:
> > That's a school he is at.  A "typing program" is most likely a tutorial.

> A typing tutorial with network admin/database capability?

That's it...exactly...  any ideas?

scot

newly exposed to linux server with 98 clients

Post by ivorybone » Sun, 10 Jun 2001 10:38:19

Damn, I wish I had your job. At least you know how to keep it from getting
boring.

But really, if 'educational software' is a must, wouldn't it have made
sense to find that software first and determine the platforms that it
will run under?

If you must run Windows software, you may have to run an emulator or
something similar. Wine is popular, but I am not too familiar with it.
Look into it.  Something else to keep from getting bored.

Don

 > Hi:  I'm a school tech coordinator who just changed schools from a nice,

> tidy, boring NT 4.0 network with 98 clients to a linux server with 98
> clients.  I have many questions, but my first one is available
> educational software for linux.  For example, we want a typing program
> with network admin/database capability.  I see "runtime revolution" has
> a ten thumbs product for linux..but does it include a win98 client
> usability?
> I have thousands of other questions, but will stick to this now...with
> the wider question of general educational Linux network software
> hovering over all.
> Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions most appreciated...   Scot Key
> Amy Biehl Charter School
> ABQ, NM USA

1. windows 98 client is slllooowwwww retrieving from linux server

I have a windows 98 machine connected to my linux computer.  Placing a
2 meg file onto the linux computer goes very quickly.  Retrieving a
similar sized file takes forever, and sometimes windows will even
report that connection has been lost.  Although it hasn't really lost
the connection.  This same pattern continues if I use FTP.  I replaced
Samba with the latest version.  I am using redhat 5.2.  This behaviour
is not apparent if both computers are running windows 98. I believe it
may have something to do with windows but I haven't the foggiest.  Its
a standard windows setup with two network cards.  one set up to a
cable modem and the other one is setup for my LAN.  TCP/IP seems to be
working fine in all other respects.  Has anyone got any ideas?  I have
altered the smb.conf to increase the read size and cache etc but it
hasn't helped.

2. The story so far !!!!

3. Standalone Linux Server with Windows 98 and Windows XP clients

4. BASH Frequently-Asked Questions (FAQ version 3.9)

5. DHCP server on Linux -> windows 98 client

6. tcsh causing dialup connection problems?

7. Linux client with win98 server (w/ cable modem on win 98 machine)

8. Questions on symlinks

9. E-Mail Server on Linux, Clients on Win '98

10. Sygate (Win 98) server to Linux client

11. Linux as the file and internet server with win NT/95/98 clients

12. DHCP server on Linux -> windows 98 client

13. Linux server w/ Windows 98 client