mouse wheel

Post by Matthew Paterso » Wed, 13 Feb 2002 20:16:07

Hi

What do i need to add/modify to XF86Config so that the wheel on my mouse
works? I looked at the xfree86 web page, and did what they suggested but
it didnt work.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

--
Matt

        Fear of a flat planet

mouse wheel

Post by Dances With Cro » Wed, 13 Feb 2002 20:50:44

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002 11:16:07 +0000, Matthew Paterson staggered into the
Black Sun and said:

Quote:> What do i need to add/modify to XF86Config so that the wheel on my
> mouse works? I looked at the xfree86 web page, and did what they
> suggested but it didnt work.

Could you be a little more vague?

If you have a mouse that uses the IMPS/2 protocol (most wheelmice,
including all USB mice, use this) then the appropriate section of
/etc/X11/XF86Config should look like this:

Section "InputDevice"
  Driver       "mouse"
  Identifier   "Mouse[1]"
  Option       "ButtonNumber" "5"
  Option       "Device" "/dev/psaux"
  Option       "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
  Option       "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

This is if you have a PS/2 mouse that uses the IMPS/2 protocol.  If your
mouse uses a different protocol, or is not PS/2, deal or post here
again.  The ZAxisMapping is the really important part.  Also, if you are
running an older version of your desktop environment/WM, you may need to
run the imwheel daemon to translate mouse wheel events into keystrokes.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

1. Mouse wheel in Logitech Cordless Mouseman Wheel

Hi,

I used to have the mouse wheel working in xfree 3.x.  I just now tried to
set it up in 4.1.0, without any luck.  I've tried both the ImPS/2
protocol as well as the MouseManPlusPS/2.  The mouse itself works with
both, but wheel does not.

I've tried setting the number of buttons to 5 and 6, and I've tried with
a zaxismapping of 4 5, and 5 6.  I tried the above settings in just about
all combinations, with no luck.

I also tried searching in google, and came across some conflicting
information.  Some claim the X protocol only supports 5 buttons, though
I didnt see anything about this in the mouse man page.  Also the X server
happily accepts a settings of 6 buttons.  I would like to make use of the
side button if possible..

Also, the README.mouse file that comes with X lists this particular
mouse, so I guess it should (somehow) work.

I'm running the X packages from debian/unstable, and kernel 2.4.9.

If anyone was able to get the wheel for this mouse to work in xfree
4.1.0, please let me know.

Thanks,

Norbert

2. ALT key, Meta Key on Solaris 5.7 Xterminal

3. Microsoft wheel mouse wheel button not working.

4. ******* libdbm where?????

5. Wheel mouse, wheel does not work

6. DOMAIN FROM IP?

7. Logitech Mouse+ (wheel mouse) and X