Interested in purchasing a Linux OS

Post by Alex » Tue, 02 May 2000 04:00:00

I would recommand Red Hat, Mandrake, or SuSE. I started with Red Hat. I
have used RedHat 5.2 and 6.0. I won't say it is the best, but it is pretty
good. I have heard that Mandrake is pretty easy to setup. Personally, I
want to try Suse sometime. Other distro... Don't know... BUT, it's really
up to you and also depends on your hardware.

Good luck.

I hope you will enjoy Linux as I do.

Hope this helps.

Alex.

Post by David . » Tue, 02 May 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I am very interested in learning and installing a Linux OS on my
> computer. However, after checking out various web sites, I seem more
> confused than before. I am not sure which Linux OS purchase and install.
> As a newbie, can any one recommend a Linux brand name and book for a new
> user?

> Any help would be appreciated.

> Roman

I use Red Hat, but used Slackware back when Red Hat wasn't as easily
installed. Once linux is installed "Linux is Linux" basically. You can
download it for FREE!

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/redhat-6.2/

ID # 123538

Post by Romanato » Wed, 03 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I am very interested in learning and installing a Linux OS on my
computer. However, after checking out various web sites, I seem more
confused than before. I am not sure which Linux OS purchase and install.
As a newbie, can any one recommend a Linux brand name and book for a new
user?

Any help would be appreciated.

Roman

  bysh.vcf
< 1K Download

Interested in purchasing a Linux OS

Post by Brac » Wed, 03 May 2000 04:00:00

I know this won't sound very helpful, but once you get into Linux,
you'll understand:

It doesn't matter which one you choose.  If you're like most of us,
you'll try several different distributions anyway before you pick one
to stay with.

Bracy

Post by youn.. » Wed, 03 May 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I am very interested in learning and installing a Linux OS on my
> computer. However, after checking out various web sites, I seem more
> confused than before. I am not sure which Linux OS purchase and install.
> As a newbie, can any one recommend a Linux brand name and book for a new
> user?

If you have a friend who is going to help you get started in Linux
I heartily recommend that you use the same distribution that they do.

Otherwise you might consider joining a local LUG (Linux User Group)
and talk with them about distributions.

If you are from a neighborhood where no one, no where, no how uses
Linux then take your pick of RedHat, Mandrake, or SuSE.  These are
probably the easiest on newbies.

You may be frustrated at first.  But the view is *definitely* worth
the climb.  Best of luck ...

Interested in purchasing a Linux OS

Post by brian moo » Wed, 03 May 2000 04:00:00

On Tue, 02 May 2000 00:21:41 GMT,

> Hi,

> I am very interested in learning and installing a Linux OS on my
> computer. However, after checking out various web sites, I seem more
> confused than before. I am not sure which Linux OS purchase and install.
> As a newbie, can any one recommend a Linux brand name and book for a new
> user?

> Any help would be appreciated.

My usual rule is simple.  Use what your friends use.  This way allows
you to mooch CD's from them as well as get help when you have problems.

Don't have friends that use Linux?  Go get one.  See
http://www.linux.com/lug/ and find a local user group.  If you bribe a
geek with pizza and beer, they'll even be glad to come to your house and
install it for you.

--
Brian Moore                       | Of course vi is God's editor.
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     | If He used Emacs, He'd still be waiting

Interested in purchasing a Linux OS

Post by Rod Smi » Wed, 03 May 2000 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

Please don't do this; plain ASCII is quite sufficient for Usenet news.

Quote:> I am very interested in learning and installing a Linux OS on my
> computer. However, after checking out various web sites, I seem more
> confused than before. I am not sure which Linux OS purchase and install.
> As a newbie, can any one recommend a Linux brand name and book for a new
> user?

You may want to check my web page with reviews of several distributions:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/distribs/

It's also got links to a few books for most of the distributions. I've got
more book suggestions at http://www.rodsbooks.com/books/.

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux networking & multi-OS configuration

Interested in purchasing a Linux OS

Post by Bob » Wed, 03 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I seem more
> confused than before. I am not sure which Linux OS purchase and install.
> As a newbie, can any one recommend a Linux brand name and book for a new
> user?

> Any help would be appreciated.

> Roman

Roman,

I am also a Linux newbie and I understand your confusion.  I also did a
lot of research and decided on SuSE Linux 6.4

I installed it on my dual boot PC (Windows 98) this past weekend (April
29).  The install was easy enough but after re-booting my PC into Linux, I
cannot access the KDE desk top.  (More info on this can be seen in the
unanswered Linux question section).

I have been waiting since Saturday for a response from SuSE Tech Support.
They offer 60 day free support but if it takes days to get one response
back, this is going to be very frustrating.  They only offer phone support
on Mondays and Thursdays.

I found the SuSe manuals very confusing for a beginner.  I therefore
purchased the book 'Running Linux' - I'd heard good things about this
book.

Bottom line - perhaps I would have been better off with another
distribution.

If you are still interested, I can let you know what happens when I hear
from SuSE.

Bob

Post by Peter T. Breue » Wed, 03 May 2000 04:00:00

: I am also a Linux newbie and I understand your confusion.  I also did a
: lot of research and decided on SuSE Linux 6.4

: I installed it on my dual boot PC (Windows 98) this past weekend (April
: 29).  The install was easy enough but after re-booting my PC into Linux, I
: cannot access the KDE desk top.  (More info on this can be seen in the
: unanswered Linux question section).

: I have been waiting since Saturday for a response from SuSE Tech Support.

Don't bother. If you "can't access KDE" then you messed up bad, pure
and simple., and you should fix it.

Just answer these questions:

1) can you log in at the console (give the parameter "2" at the lilo
boot. E.g "linux 2")?

2) once at the console, can you run X (type /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_VGA16)?

3) can you run X using the correct server (type
/usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA or whatevever)?

4) can you run X using the symlink to the correct server (type X)?

5) can you run X and start the kde services on top of it
(edit .xinitrc to contain the word startkde, make it executable
with chmod, and type startx)?

Give the error messages if there are any.

Peter

Interested in purchasing a Linux OS

Post by Bob » Wed, 03 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> Don't bother. If you "can't access KDE" then you messed up bad, pure
> and simple., and you should fix it.

> Just answer these questions:

> 1) can you log in at the console (give the parameter "2" at the lilo
> boot. E.g "linux 2")?

> 2) once at the console, can you run X (type /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_VGA16)?

> 3) can you run X using the correct server (type
> /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA or whatevever)?

> 4) can you run X using the symlink to the correct server (type X)?

> 5) can you run X and start the kde services on top of it
> (edit .xinitrc to contain the word startkde, make it executable
> with chmod, and type startx)?

> Give the error messages if there are any.

> Peter

I apologize - I guess I didn't explain my problem real well.

I installed SuSE 6.4 using their YaST2 tool.  This tool nicely automates
the install procedure.  At the end of the install, you have to log in to
the KDE desktop.  This worked fine and everything seemed functional.  I
then exited out of KDE and did a 'shutdown'.

But...after I re-booted and attempted to log in again, the KDE desktop did
not show any icons (as if my system configuration was lost) and my mouse
was useless (note that after the install the mouse worked and the icons
were present).  I was forced to power off/power on as I couldn't figure
out how to "gracefully" get out of KDE using just the keyboard.

I haven't tried to login again for fear the same thing will happen.

Bob

Interested in purchasing a Linux OS

Post by Peter T. Breue » Wed, 03 May 2000 04:00:00

:> Don't bother. If you "can't access KDE" then you messed up bad, pure
:> and simple., and you should fix it.
:>
[...]

Log in as WHO? Root? Some user you created?

: the KDE desktop.  This worked fine and everything seemed functional.  I
: then exited out of KDE and did a 'shutdown'.

: But...after I re-booted and attempted to log in again, the KDE desktop did

Log in as WHO?

: not show any icons (as if my system configuration was lost) and my mouse

That's no problem. No icons just means that kfm didn't start up. That's
a no-brainer. Start it. It's pretty delicate and liable to die at
any malformation of the config files under .kde/.... .

: was useless (note that after the install the mouse worked and the icons

That's also trivial. Don't worry about it. Escape to text mode
(ctrl-alt-f1, or some other f key). Log in normally. Read the
Mouse-HOWTO until you fix it. Likely you have a MS intellimouse
in a PS/2 socket and you need to change the mouse type in
/etc/X11/XF86Config to "PS/2". Without any data from you I can't tell.

: I haven't tried to login again for fear the same thing will happen.

Why? What's to lose? You're not going to fix it by doing nothing. And
you can't look with your eyes shut!

Peter

Interested in purchasing a Linux OS

Post by Michael Westerma » Thu, 04 May 2000 04:00:00

Ctrl + Alt + Bksp will pul down X (kde or gnome)

rm core
(thememory dump).
then shut it down.

while in kde you can press ctrl + alt + f1 - f4 to get to a terminal.

ctrl + alt + f7 or f8 will return you to kde or other Window manager.

Post by Richard Stein » Thu, 04 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I am very interested in learning and installing a Linux OS on my
>computer. However, after checking out various web sites, I seem more
>confused than before. I am not sure which Linux OS purchase and install.
>As a newbie, can any one recommend a Linux brand name and book for a
>new user?

I would recommand a number of distributions depending on your desires
and requirements.  The ones I've played with and like include Slackware,
Mandrake, SuSE, and Red Hat.

I currently prefer Mandrake on my own desktop, but Slackware might be a
better way to learn if you're willing to be a little more patient.

--

      OS/2 + BeOS + Linux + Solaris + Win95 + WinNT4 + FreeBSD + DOS
       + VMWare + Fusion + vMac + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven! :-)

Post by jb » Sun, 07 May 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I am very interested in learning and installing a Linux OS on my
> computer. However, after checking out various web sites, I seem more
> confused than before. I am not sure which Linux OS purchase and install.
> As a newbie, can any one recommend a Linux brand name and book for a new
> user?

While you are deciding on a distro (as has been mentioned, virtually any
will do and which one people end up using depends a lot on personal
preference, I use Slackware and SuSE) make sure that all the hardware
you have will work the first time. If you have a 'modern' PC then you're
probably all set but make sure that your particular video card and other
pieces are well supported. This will ensure a relatively painless
install and this kind of study beforehand will make the experience a lot
more pleasant.

Also decide how you want to partition the disks *before* you start
installing. I often sit down with a piece of paper and draw it up,
especially if I know that the machine is to run more than just Linux and
if I want anything more complicated than / and /usr, for example.

Interested in purchasing a Linux OS

Post by Stev » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

Vcards suck.

Get a book like "Learning Red Hat Linux" published by O'Reilly,
It comes with a CD, but get the latest version from Cheapbites if
you're in the US or d/l the images and put them onto CDs if you're
somewhere else.  The book is great as an instalation guide and will
serve you well.  I'm just saying RH because I like it and have never
used another distro,  but I hear from others that Slackwar is good
everybody likes their own distro.

Read the man pages <man command> and the HOWTO documentation which
can be read before you start the install.  Be prepared to do a lot
of reading.

--
Cheers

%HAV-A-NICEDAY Error not enough coffee  0 pps.

web http://www.ndirect.co.uk/~sjlen/

or  http://start.at/zero-pps

  9:40am  up 12 days, 11:41,  2 users,  load average: 1.08, 1.02, 1.00