Does RedHat upgrade really upgrade including Caldera

Does RedHat upgrade really upgrade including Caldera

Post by David Sega » Fri, 22 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Against the advice given in the Red Hat V2.1 upgrade script I used it
to upgrade my Caldera Preview to Caldera V1.0. I was rather put out to
find that the "upgrade" script did not upgrade at all. It happily
replaced any version on hard disk which was _different_ from that on
the CD. So my version 2.0 RPM was replaced by the version 1.x on the
CD etc. Otherwise it seemed to perform as well with Caldera as it
would have with Red Hat but that may be because I don't use Caldera's
desktop.

Has Red Hat V3.x upgrade script been fixed so that it checks for a
newer version?  Can it be used upgrade Caldera? Has anybody tried?

Profectus Pty Ltd                 Compuserve: 100241,1211
25 Myrtle Road                    Telephone: +61 3 9830 5026
Canterbury, VIC, 3126 AUSTRALIA         Fax: +61 3 9830 0959

Post by Erik Tro » Fri, 22 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>Against the advice given in the Red Hat V2.1 upgrade script I used it

<sigh> We said not to do that for a good reason.

Quote:>Has Red Hat V3.x upgrade script been fixed so that it checks for a
>newer version?  Can it be used upgrade Caldera? Has anybody tried?

Well, this is a two part answer.

        1) It hasn't been fixed. We'll do this soon (where soon is
           a very relative term)

        2) It should work against Caldera 1.0 (*not* Preview II) as
           all of the packages in Red Hat 3.0.3 are newer then Calderas.

We tried it on Caldera once for kicks and it seemed to work. We don't ever
use Caldera though, so it's hard to know for sure.

Erik

   Always hoped that I'd be an apostle. Knew that I would make it if I tried.
     Then when we retire we can write the gospels so they'll all talk about
         us when we die. - "The Last Supper" from Jesus Christ Superstar

Post by Mark Lo » Tue, 26 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>>Against the advice given in the Red Hat V2.1 upgrade script I used it

><sigh> We said not to do that for a good reason.

>>Has Red Hat V3.x upgrade script been fixed so that it checks for a
>>newer version?  Can it be used upgrade Caldera? Has anybody tried?
>We tried it on Caldera once for kicks and it seemed to work. We don't ever
>use Caldera though, so it's hard to know for sure.

It breaks glint -- glint is unable to find any "available" packages
after the upgrade.

-ml
--

For Linux IDE (big/many) help, see:  /usr/src/linux/drivers/block/README.ide
For latest Linux kernels: ftp.cs.helsinki.fi:/pub/Software/Linux/Kernel/v1.[23]

Post by Kit Cosp » Tue, 26 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>>We tried it on Caldera once for kicks and it seemed to work. We don't ever
>>use Caldera though, so it's hard to know for sure.

>It breaks glint -- glint is unable to find any "available" packages
>after the upgrade.

        This is easily remedied by getting the new glint
from ftp.redhat.com.

Kit

--

*Braves tickets available; field level, face value, email for details!*

Post by Erik Tro » Tue, 26 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>It breaks glint -- glint is unable to find any "available" packages
>after the upgrade.

It doesn't break glint - glint is just broken. Look at the Red Hat 3.0.3
Errata on http://www.redhat.com for information on upgrading glint to
something that works a bit better.

Erik

   Always hoped that I'd be an apostle. Knew that I would make it if I tried.
     Then when we retire we can write the gospels so they'll all talk about
         us when we die. - "The Last Supper" from Jesus Christ Superstar

1. How to upgrade from old Caldera to new RedHat?

I would probably opt to start with a fresh bare partition.  Be careful
though when using RedHat's installation because it may reformat
everything (i.e., if you have Win95 also on the hard drive).  Pay close
attention to the installation instructions!

Take care,

Keith Wright

2. AIX V4.2 Upgrade

3. Upgrade Caldera (RedHat) to kernel v2.0

4. Rescan SCSI bus w/o reboot ?

5. If RedHat upgraded, will kernel also be upgraded?

6. 99pl12 memory leaks?

7. Getting the Free86 Upgrade for Redhat - Show me the way to the intel upgrade!

8. /var/adm/message errors

9. Upgrade to Redhat 6.2 fails: upgrade.log not found

10. long name in DOS partition or upgrade Redhat.

11. LILO: Linux + DOS-W311 + DOS/W95-Upgrade

12. Upgrade Caldera to 2.0

13. Caldera 2.3 Xserver upgrade ???