/dev/null permissions keep changing to 600 ?

/dev/null permissions keep changing to 600 ?

Post by o.. » Wed, 15 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Every once in a while the permissions in /dev/null get changed
to 600, then I have to go and manually set them to 666 or else I
can't print. Anybody know how I can go about finding the problem?

Thanks,

-Tony

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Paul Kimo » Wed, 15 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> Every once in a while the permissions in /dev/null get changed
> to 600, then I have to go and manually set them to 666 or else I
> can't print. Anybody know how I can go about finding the problem?

Hmm, there are a bunch of things that you wouldn't be able to do.

This is a wild, wild guess, but do you run an old version of g77 as root?

--

1. /dev/null chmod'd to 600 for no apparent reason

I'm starting to see /dev/null with permission bits 600 when I get up in
the morning on my RedHat 5.0 system.  It happened once a few months
ago, then again a few days ago, and now I've seen it two mornings in a
row.  I have no idea how it could be happening.  I found a couple of
other people with the same complaint a few months ago, with no posted
resolution other than the suggestion to chmod it back to 666 every
minute in the crontab, which is how I'm going to deal with it unless
someone can suggest a likely cause.

Vaughan Pratt

2. X and Sharp 9030 laptop x Shifted to one side....

3. Q: Mysterious permission change on /dev/null. Virus ??

4. 3.3 ksh no multiline edit

5. XFree86-4.0.2 changes permissions to /dev/null

6. DAT SCSI-Streamer installation

7. /dev/null permissions change

8. Postmaster duties, number accounts per capita?

9. Permissions on /dev/null changing

10. Permissions on /dev/ttya keep changing (?)

11. /dev file permission keep changing

12. what keeps changing permissions of /dev/audio//dsp//midi etc.

13. something keeps changing permissions of /dev/audio,mixer,dsp