Matrox G200 PCI support Linux??

Post by Tom Trebis » Tue, 16 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>>I'm running XFree 3.3.3-1 and I have a strange problem: ....

>.....  When I upgraded to 3331, most of the
>X11 binaries produced segmentation faults.  The fix was to re-compile them,
>but netscape is well and truly dead.  I did not have this problem at home
>where I use the XS3 chip.  My two Linux boxes are otherwise identical, so
>put it down to problems with the G200 support.

Well, I have a G200 AGP card, I installed RH 5.2, then got the XFree 3.3.3
rpm's (just maybe the 3.3.3-1), and dumped them in (took 2 passes for some
reason), and I am running perfectly.  No recompile, no hassle.  I even lied
to the original RH install and told it I had a Matrox MGA card, and never
had to touch the config file after I installed the RPM's later, it just
came up.  Maybe there is some problem unique to the PCI version ??
--
        Tom Trebisky                    MMT Observatory

        http://kofa.as.arizona.edu/     Tucson, Arizona 85721
                                        (520) 621-5135

Matrox G200 PCI support Linux??

Post by Jay » Tue, 16 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Although I have not tried it with XFree, I have a PCI G200+ running
perfectly with Accelerated-X (www.xig.com). Accel-X has full support for
the entire Mattrox line. Although it is not free, it is a really great X
server.

~Jay

> >>I'm running XFree 3.3.3-1 and I have a strange problem: ....

> >.....  When I upgraded to 3331, most of the
> >X11 binaries produced segmentation faults.  The fix was to re-compile them,
> >but netscape is well and truly dead.  I did not have this problem at home
> >where I use the XS3 chip.  My two Linux boxes are otherwise identical, so
> >put it down to problems with the G200 support.

> Well, I have a G200 AGP card, I installed RH 5.2, then got the XFree 3.3.3
> rpm's (just maybe the 3.3.3-1), and dumped them in (took 2 passes for some
> reason), and I am running perfectly.  No recompile, no hassle.  I even lied
> to the original RH install and told it I had a Matrox MGA card, and never
> had to touch the config file after I installed the RPM's later, it just
> came up.  Maybe there is some problem unique to the PCI version ??
> --
>    Tom Trebisky                    MMT Observatory

>    http://kofa.as.arizona.edu/     Tucson, Arizona 85721
>                                    (520) 621-5135

- J a y   J a c o b s o n
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In a world where an admin is rendered useless when the ball in his mouse
has been taken out, it is good to know that I know UNIX.

Post by Mike Dowli » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>>>I'm running XFree 3.3.3-1 and I have a strange problem: ....

>>.....  When I upgraded to 3331, most of the
>>X11 binaries produced segmentation faults.  The fix was to re-compile them,
>>but netscape is well and truly dead.  I did not have this problem at home
>>where I use the XS3 chip.  My two Linux boxes are otherwise identical, so
>>put it down to problems with the G200 support.

>Well, I have a G200 AGP card, I installed RH 5.2, then got the XFree 3.3.3
>rpm's (just maybe the 3.3.3-1), and dumped them in (took 2 passes for some
>reason), and I am running perfectly.

333 ran almost perfectly for me too.  I only had a very rare problem that
caused the X server to consume all the CPU it could get.  On a computer
running 24 hrs/day, this would happen perhaps once a week, and I really
cannot be certain that XFree was to blame.

The segmentation faults only started with 3.3.3.1.  They had definitely
modified XF86_SVGA, as previously, every time I changed to text mode, I
would get a message on the console that started X; now I don't.

Cheers,
  Mike

--

It is, in fact, a sendmail alias; the digit 'N' is incremented regularly.
Spammed aliases will be deleted.  Currently, mike[5,7,8] have been deleted.

Matrox G200 PCI support Linux??

Post by Sean Pres » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I'm using a Daytek DT-1731D Monitor and a Mystique G200 AGP video card and now am
running 3.3.3 of X and it still refuses to work.  I've attempted to mess around
with the XF86Config file but to no avail.  If anyone could send me or post a
config setup that works with either my monitor type or video card it would be
greatly appreciated.

-Sean

Matrox G200 PCI support Linux??

Post by Douglas Col » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

would anayone know where I could download the rpm for the new xserver ( 3.3.3.1 ) ?
I have a media gx MB and would like to get X running on it but with the older
server its a no-go.
Thanks for any help...
Douglas Cole

> >>.....  When I upgraded to 3331, most of the
> >>X11 binaries produced segmentation faults.  The fix was to re-compile them,
> >>but netscape is well and truly dead.  I did not have this problem at home
> >>where I use the XS3 chip.  My two Linux boxes are otherwise identical, so
> >>put it down to problems with the G200 support.

> >Well, I have a G200 AGP card, I installed RH 5.2, then got the XFree 3.3.3
> >rpm's (just maybe the 3.3.3-1), and dumped them in (took 2 passes for some
> >reason), and I am running perfectly.

> 333 ran almost perfectly for me too.  I only had a very rare problem that
> caused the X server to consume all the CPU it could get.  On a computer
> running 24 hrs/day, this would happen perhaps once a week, and I really
> cannot be certain that XFree was to blame.

> The segmentation faults only started with 3.3.3.1.  They had definitely
> modified XF86_SVGA, as previously, every time I changed to text mode, I
> would get a message on the console that started X; now I don't.

> Cheers,
>   Mike

> --

> It is, in fact, a sendmail alias; the digit 'N' is incremented regularly.
> Spammed aliases will be deleted.  Currently, mike[5,7,8] have been deleted.
> If email to mikeN bounces, try mikeN+1.

Matrox G200 PCI support Linux??

Post by Paul Randal » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi Sean:
     Does your X-window system work with the generic SVGA server?  This may be the
best you can do until better servers come out.  I've had problems with the S3 server.
Now I just use the SVGA server and everything works fine.

Paul Randall

> I'm using a Daytek DT-1731D Monitor and a Mystique G200 AGP video card and now am
> running 3.3.3 of X and it still refuses to work.  I've attempted to mess around
> with the XF86Config file but to no avail.  If anyone could send me or post a
> config setup that works with either my monitor type or video card it would be
> greatly appreciated.

> -Sean

Matrox G200 PCI support Linux??

Post by Douglas Col » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

wondering where I can get the 3.3.3 X as an RPM , I am new to this stuff and am not
sure of where to go to get it , any help would sincerely be appreciated, I would
like to get X running on my cyrix media GX board , please reply by email as my news
feed is intermittent  :^(
Douglas Cole

> >>.....  When I upgraded to 3331, most of the
> >>X11 binaries produced segmentation faults.  The fix was to re-compile them,
> >>but netscape is well and truly dead.  I did not have this problem at home
> >>where I use the XS3 chip.  My two Linux boxes are otherwise identical, so
> >>put it down to problems with the G200 support.

> >Well, I have a G200 AGP card, I installed RH 5.2, then got the XFree 3.3.3
> >rpm's (just maybe the 3.3.3-1), and dumped them in (took 2 passes for some
> >reason), and I am running perfectly.

> 333 ran almost perfectly for me too.  I only had a very rare problem that
> caused the X server to consume all the CPU it could get.  On a computer
> running 24 hrs/day, this would happen perhaps once a week, and I really
> cannot be certain that XFree was to blame.

> The segmentation faults only started with 3.3.3.1.  They had definitely
> modified XF86_SVGA, as previously, every time I changed to text mode, I
> would get a message on the console that started X; now I don't.

> Cheers,
>   Mike

> --

> It is, in fact, a sendmail alias; the digit 'N' is incremented regularly.
> Spammed aliases will be deleted.  Currently, mike[5,7,8] have been deleted.
> If email to mikeN bounces, try mikeN+1.

Matrox G200 PCI support Linux??

Post by Darrick J. Hartma » Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Here is as good of place as any to get the 3.3.3.1.rpm file...

 ftp://ftp.infomagic.com/pub/mirrors/linux/RedHatUpdates/5.2/i386/

Darrick

> wondering where I can get the 3.3.3 X as an RPM , I am new to this stuff and am not
> sure of where to go to get it , any help would sincerely be appreciated, I would
> like to get X running on my cyrix media GX board , please reply by email as my news
> feed is intermittent  :^(
> Douglas Cole

> > >Well, I have a G200 AGP card, I installed RH 5.2, then got the XFree 3.3.3
> > >rpm's (just maybe the 3.3.3-1), and dumped them in (took 2 passes for some
> > >reason), and I am running perfectly.

> > 333 ran almost perfectly for me too.  I only had a very rare problem that
> > caused the X server to consume all the CPU it could get.  On a computer
> > running 24 hrs/day, this would happen perhaps once a week, and I really
> > cannot be certain that XFree was to blame.

> > The segmentation faults only started with 3.3.3.1.  They had definitely
> > modified XF86_SVGA, as previously, every time I changed to text mode, I
> > would get a message on the console that started X; now I don't.

> > Cheers,
> >   Mike

> > --

> > It is, in fact, a sendmail alias; the digit 'N' is incremented regularly.
> > Spammed aliases will be deleted.  Currently, mike[5,7,8] have been deleted.
> > If email to mikeN bounces, try mikeN+1.

  dhartman.vcf
< 1K Download

Matrox G200 PCI support Linux??

it's not there kyle!

--
lee stone - stone initiatives

over 50? - free vacation accommodation wherever you want -
http://www.3rdage-home-exchange.com/