Help: access denied to device ttyS1(serial port COM1) in SusE Linux 6.3

Help: access denied to device ttyS1(serial port COM1) in SusE Linux 6.3

Post by George Bel » Sat, 25 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Subject: Cannot open /dev/ttyS1:  Permission denied

I cannot use wvdial as a normal user because of the above error.  It
only works for "root".  Changing group of user to uucp, root, or both
has no effect.  Changing the permissions of /dev/ttyS1 has no effect
either.

Why does it do this?  If nothing to do with file permissions , has it
something to do with the kernal provided by SusE?  If this is so I
rather disappointed this had to be built into the standard kernal.  This
means only "root" can have internet access from the pc, and checking off
"modem access" for each user is pointless, which is pretty stupid.

Post by Henrik Becke » Sat, 25 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> Subject: Cannot open /dev/ttyS1:  Permission denied

> I cannot use wvdial as a normal user because of the above error.  It
> only works for "root".  Changing group of user to uucp, root, or both
> has no effect.  Changing the permissions of /dev/ttyS1 has no effect
> either.

> Why does it do this?  If nothing to do with file permissions , has it
> something to do with the kernal provided by SusE?  If this is so I
> rather disappointed this had to be built into the standard kernal.  This
> means only "root" can have internet access from the pc, and checking off
> "modem access" for each user is pointless, which is pretty stupid.

Read something about a script to be applied to use wvdial. BUT: check if you
have permissions set correctly on ttyS1 (rwx) - man chmod

Gruss / Regards,

Henrik Becker

--

Becker IT-Dienstleistungen - IT-Beratung, WebDesign/Organisation, Schulung

support FREE SOFTWARE www.KDE.org www.WINDOWMAKER.org www.LINUX.org

dt. J-Pilot Handbuch fertig: http://www.henrikbecker.de/jpilot

Help: access denied to device ttyS1(serial port COM1) in SusE Linux 6.3

Post by jdaspin » Sat, 25 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Did you try going into yast; going into user administration,
and setting yourself to have modem access from there?

1. SuSE Linux: SuSE-FW ACCESS DENIED FOR INT

System: SuSE Linux 7.3 - Kernel 2.4.10
Firewall: SuSEFirewall2 (Config below)

Problem: From the internal network I can't access any services using
the external IP on my firewall. I can't even ping the external IP
address from and internal computer. However, external computers can
access external services on the same firewall.

The reason for wanting to access the external IP address of the
firewall is the same system is running a web server. There are many
other ways around this issue but I have reason to believe that this is
a simple firewall configuration issue.

The only other link I could find that is related to this issue is:
http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/292/2001/10/150/6949978/.
Unfortunately, no-one has responded to this archived post.

# firewall2.rc.config
FW_DEV_EXT="eth1"
FW_DEV_INT="eth0"
FW_DEV_DMZ=""

FW_ROUTE="yes"
FW_MASQUERADE="yes"
FW_MASQ_DEV="$FW_DEV_EXT"
FW_MASQ_NETS="192.168.0.0/24"

FW_PROTECT_FROM_INTERNAL="no"
FW_AUTOPROTECT_SERVICES="yes"

FW_SERVICES_EXT_TCP="qotd ftp ssh www"
FW_SERVICES_EXT_UDP="qotd ssh www"
FW_SERVICES_EXT_IP=""

FW_SERVICES_DMZ_TCP=""
FW_SERVICES_DMZ_UDP=""
FW_SERVICES_DMZ_IP=""

FW_SERVICES_INT_TCP=""
FW_SERVICES_INT_UDP=""
FW_SERVICES_INT_IP=""

FW_TRUSTED_NETS="192.168.0.0/24"

FW_ALLOW_INCOMING_HIGHPORTS_TCP="ftp-data"
FW_ALLOW_INCOMING_HIGHPORTS_UDP="DNS"

FW_SERVICE_AUTODETECT="yes"
FW_SERVICE_DNS="yes"
FW_SERVICE_DHCLIENT="yes"
FW_SERVICE_DHCPD="yes"
FW_SERVICE_SQUID="no"
SAMBA. FW_SERVICE_SAMBA="yes"

FW_FORWARD=""
FW_FORWARD_MASQ=""
FW_REDIRECT=""

FW_LOG_DROP_CRIT="yes"
FW_LOG_DROP_ALL="no"
FW_LOG_ACCEPT_CRIT="no"
FW_LOG_ACCEPT_ALL="no"
FW_LOG="--log-level warning --log-tcp-options --log-ip-option
--log-prefix SuSE-FW"

FW_KERNEL_SECURITY="no"
FW_STOP_KEEP_ROUTING_STATE="no"

FW_ALLOW_PING_FW="yes"
FW_ALLOW_PING_DMZ="no"
FW_ALLOW_PING_EXT="yes"

FW_ALLOW_FW_TRACEROUTE="yes"

FW_ALLOW_FW_SOURCEQUENCH="yes"

FW_ALLOW_FW_BROADCAST="no"
FW_IGNORE_FW_BROADCAST="yes"

FW_ALLOW_CLASS_ROUTING="no"

2. Sco ODT and HP Jetdirect

3. Help for Minolta Page Pro 6 L Driver for Linux SUSE 6.3

4. Is Verisign the only Cert company?

5. Help for Linux Suse Ver. 6.3

6. ppp problem, not even dialing

7. Need Help with seting up my DSL for Suse 6.3 Linux

8. ARP pb after SLIP connection

9. (/dev/ttyS1): Permission denied cu: /dev/ttyS1: Line in use Connection lost

10. BS Live! under Suse 6.3 HELP!!!

11. Need help with SAMBA on SusE 6.3

12. Help install Suse 6.3 -ftp

13. Suse 6.3 & PPP Help!!!!!!