console messages to a file ?

Post by joh » Tue, 22 Oct 2002 06:32:20

how to put or copy all the console messages that appear when
a redhat unix box boots up.
i need to put all the messages that appear during a system boot
up to a file for later analysis.

console messages to a file ?

Post by Lenard Charter » Tue, 22 Oct 2002 06:35:22

> how to put or copy all the console messages that appear when a redhat unix
> box boots up.
> i need to put all the messages that appear during a system boot up to a
> file for later analysis.

Look in your /var/log directory, you'll find them already there.

console messages to a file ?

Post by Davi » Tue, 22 Oct 2002 06:36:07

> how to put or copy all the console messages that appear when
> a redhat unix box boots up.
> i need to put all the messages that appear during a system boot
> up to a file for later analysis.

Have you looked at "dmesg"?

--
   Confucius:  He who play in root, eventually kill tree.

console messages to a file ?

Post by mjt » Tue, 22 Oct 2002 06:45:14

> how to put or copy all the console messages that appear when
> a redhat unix box boots up.
> i need to put all the messages that appear during a system boot
> up to a file for later analysis.

.... 'dmesg' or check in /var/log/* where they are 'naturally
stored'

console messages to a file ?

Post by joh » Wed, 23 Oct 2002 23:33:33

i checked dmesg and boot.log

both these files have incomplete information.
is there a configuration setting that needs to be done
to direct these messages to a user defined file ?

Post by Paul Lutu » Thu, 24 Oct 2002 06:36:22

> i checked dmesg and boot.log

> both these files have incomplete information.

Define "incomplete." What part of the boot information is not in
/var/log/messages or another similar log?

Quote:> is there a configuration setting that needs to be done
> to direct these messages to a user defined file ?

What messages?

--
Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com

1. shl on console hangs on console message

When running shl on the console, if a console message appears, like
"Uugetty respawning too rapidly", it puts the terminal in a state where
whatever I type is echoed, but nothing is recognized, and ^Z does not do
anything.  I have to go to another terminal and kill the shl process.

Does anyone know why this happens?  It is probably one of those internal
things that can't be corrected.

I am writing a shl clone that exhibits the same behavior.

--
Bruce Momjian           | 830 Blythe Avenue               | home: (215)853-3000

2. Tivoli's Cross site for intrusion detection

3. How to present console messages without a console window?

4. Printing from WinNT to Linux Box

5. Why don't console message appear in my ``console'' window?

6. DVD/CDRW devices are wrong way round????

7. Intercepting console messages without disabling the console

8. Question on SGID at dir level

9. Q: How to suppress SCSI-related error messages from appearing on console & log files

10. Redirecting Console Messages to a File

11. Capturing console messages to a file

12. console messages into a file

13. console messages to a file ?