Trouble reading Sparc FS 4.2 formatted Jaz drive with Linux

Post by Michael Schri » Tue, 21 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> :     I'm a linux ``newbe'' and I would like to be able to read jaz
> : drives which have been created on a Sparc station on a linux machine.
> : I'm currently running linux slackware kernel version 2.0.30 and I've
> : been trying to mount the jaz drive using the ``ext2'' file system on my
> : linux machine.   Thanks in advance.

> Anything but not ext2. ext2 is linux specific. Try ufs.
> You may also run file command on special device like
> file /dev/sda1. May be it would be able to tell you type of file system.

  I tried ufs and it still has heartburn.  Could there be some kind of
byte swapping problem here?

Mike

The views expressed here are my own ...

1. Jaz drive on Sparc Solaris 2.5 - format doesn't detect it!

Hello,

I got a Jaz drive hooked up to a Sparc running Soalris 2.5.

I saw the web pages that listed the format.dat information and did inert it to the file.  After reading the man pages and whatnot,  I see that format should detect the drive and insert the proper information.  Well, it doesn't.

This is not a SCSI problem, because the bus works fine.  probe-scsi at the monitor prompt also reports that Jaz drive.

I have done a boot -r to get the /dev/rdsk/c0t5d0s? and the /dev/dsk entries as well.  Infact, if I do a 'head /dev/rdsk/cot5d0s2', the drive will spin up and then crap out with a no device message.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong????

Many thanks...

Information Technology Services          University of Western Ontario
PGP-Fingerprint ----- 2B 53 7D BD B5 56 39 9C  29 A9 16 F5 D7 25 71 96

2. Reserving disks in Custom Jumpstart

3. ********Red Hat Linux 4.2 / Jaz drive Problem********

4. IN2000 alpha doesn't find my SCSI...

5. *********RH 4.2 on Jaz drive*************

6. c compiler report mising files, how should fix it up?

7. Does the IOMEGA JAZ drive work with SPARC-4, SPARC-10 running , solaris?

8. new device names

9. ****RH 4.2 on Jaz Drive*********

10. Format Jaz on Sun, read on Linux

11. Can FreeBSD 4.2 format an IDE drive?

12. Anyone having trouble installing Linux on a drive using EZ Drive should read this post.

13. virtual read/write fs over read-only fs