iODBC, ODBC drivers and help. . .

Post by Jettero Hell » Fri, 07 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Ok. I've gotten iodbc compiled on my linux box. Now I need some odbc
drivers to go with it. Can anyone help me find some? I realize
that's a pretty general request, but that's about the extent of it.
I just wanna find out what's out there, how much it costs, and
what's on the way. I found the FreeODBC project, but it appears
there is nothing concrete there yet (at least not on the web page).

Among the things I'ld really like to find is the source code to a
few of these drivers as I'ld like to see some examples of how
drivers are programmed.

Any pointers would be appreciated. . .

** Heller

--
                     http://www.nacs.net/cgi-bin/heller/jokes
                        http://www.nacs.net/~heller/

iODBC, ODBC drivers and help. . .

Post by Gregory Junke » Tue, 11 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> Among the things I'ld really like to find is the source code to a
> few of these drivers as I'ld like to see some examples of how
> drivers are programmed.

Good luck on this, as developing ODBC drivers is not a trivial task, and
I doubt that too many folks are going to be very eager to just post
their efforts for general use....

--
Any posts or replies, past or present, are not indication or statement
of the position of Federated Department Stores on any subject, unless

Post by Stuart Ho » Tue, 11 Feb 1997 04:00:00

: Ok. I've gotten iodbc compiled on my linux box. Now I need some odbc
: drivers to go with it. Can anyone help me find some? I realize
: that's a pretty general request, but that's about the extent of it.
: I just wanna find out what's out there, how much it costs, and
: what's on the way. I found the FreeODBC project, but it appears
: there is nothing concrete there yet (at least not on the web page).

: Among the things I'ld really like to find is the source code to a
: few of these drivers as I'ld like to see some examples of how
: drivers are programmed.

Ke Jin (who wrote iODBC) has also written a cool ODBC driver
which provides an ODBC style interface to a standard NNTP port
(i.e. News server).  The source may be found at:

ftp://ftp.uu.net/pub/database/perl-interfaces/other/iODBC/nnodbc-0.5....
ftp://ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/perl/db/other/iODBC/nnodbc-0.5.shar

The problem with a commercial ODBC driver (eg: one that connects
to an Informix database), is that it needs client side support,
for Linux, from the database vendor.  (The driver just maps ODBC
calls to native calls.)

Stuart.
-
--
Stuart Hood === IISC, Ceybank House, 22 City Rd, London, UK

Fax  : + 44-0171 638 7528         WWW: http://www.wingz.com
- Never let ignorance stand in the way of a good argument -

iODBC, ODBC drivers and help. . .

Post by Leslie Mikese » Wed, 12 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>Ok. I've gotten iodbc compiled on my linux box. Now I need some odbc
>drivers to go with it. Can anyone help me find some? I realize
>that's a pretty general request, but that's about the extent of it.
>I just wanna find out what's out there, how much it costs, and
>what's on the way. I found the FreeODBC project, but it appears
>there is nothing concrete there yet (at least not on the web page).

>Among the things I'ld really like to find is the source code to a
>few of these drivers as I'ld like to see some examples of how
>drivers are programmed.

There are some odbc drivers for postgres95.  Go to http://www.postgresql.org
and follow the link to third party software.

Les Mikesell

iODBC, ODBC drivers and help. . .

Post by Jettero Hell » Thu, 13 Feb 1997 04:00:00

: The problem with a commercial ODBC driver (eg: one that connects
: to an Informix database), is that it needs client side support,
: for Linux, from the database vendor.  (The driver just maps ODBC
: calls to native calls.)

Unless you capture enough sessions to figure out exactly how the
native client side apps on other platforms work. Then you can fake
it from there. . .

** Heller

--
                     http://www.nacs.net/cgi-bin/heller/jokes
                        http://www.nacs.net/~heller/
RELAX... It's only ones and zeros anyway.
If anything can go wrong, it will.

iODBC, ODBC drivers and help. . .

Post by Frank Yacan » Thu, 13 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Jettero,

My company SYWARE, Inc. sells ODBC Driver Kits that are comprised of
source code for a dbase driver. No one has compiled our c source under
Linux, that I'm aware of, but it has been compiled under several other
UNIX OS's. Prices start at $2100.00 Details are on our webpage at:

        http://www.syware.com

Best Regards,
Frank Yacano

> Ok. I've gotten iodbc compiled on my linux box. Now I need some odbc
> drivers to go with it. Can anyone help me find some? I realize
> that's a pretty general request, but that's about the extent of it.
> I just wanna find out what's out there, how much it costs, and
> what's on the way. I found the FreeODBC project, but it appears
> there is nothing concrete there yet (at least not on the web page).

> Among the things I'ld really like to find is the source code to a
> few of these drivers as I'ld like to see some examples of how
> drivers are programmed.

> Any pointers would be appreciated. . .

> ** Heller

> --
>                      http://www.nacs.net/cgi-bin/heller/jokes
>                         http://www.nacs.net/~heller/
> Forgive your enemies but never forget their names
> My dad hit me only once - with the Buick

--
      .__________________________________________________________.
      |                                                          |

      |                 http://www.syware.com                    |
      |                                                          |
      |  SYWARE, Inc. P.O. Box 91 Kendall, Cambridge, MA 02142  ( \
    / )           Phone:617-497-1375    Fax:617-497-8729         \ \
   ( (|__________________________________________________________|) )
 (((\ \)  /,)                                               / )  / //))
 (\\\\ \_/ /                                                \ \_/ /////
  \       /                                                  \       /
   \    _/                                                    \_    /

iODBC, ODBC drivers and help. . .

Post by Alexander F Valde » Sat, 15 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> > Among the things I'ld really like to find is the source code to a
> > few of these drivers as I'ld like to see some examples of how
> > drivers are programmed.

> Good luck on this, as developing ODBC drivers is not a trivial task, and
> I doubt that too many folks are going to be very eager to just post
> their efforts for general use....

I believe someone wrote a freely distributable ODBC driver for mSQL. I
don't remember who exactly at the moment but try Yahoo or any of the
other search engines.

iODBC, ODBC drivers and help. . .

Post by Anton de W » Sat, 22 Feb 1997 04:00:00

: >

: > >
: > >
: > > Among the things I'ld really like to find is the source code to a
: > > few of these drivers as I'ld like to see some examples of how
: > > drivers are programmed.
: >
: > Good luck on this, as developing ODBC drivers is not a trivial task, and
: > I doubt that too many folks are going to be very eager to just post
: > their efforts for general use....

Have a look at www.postgeSQL.org. Wonderful database and under 3rd Party
software you'll find what you are looking for,

Anton