Newbie: Newly Installed GNU software.

Running Linux-Mandrake 7.2.  I've tried installing new software, such as the M4 program, from www.gnu.org.  It seems to install correctly into the /usr/local/bin directory (default), but when I go to install other software, nothing recognizes that the M4, etc, are installed and available.  Why aren't the installations being detected?  Thanx.

Post by Mike Per » Tue, 27 Feb 2001 03:45:59

>Running Linux-Mandrake 7.2.  I've tried installing new software, such as the M4 program, from www.gnu.org.  It seems to install correctly into the /usr/local/bin directory (default), but when I go to install other software, nothing recognizes that the M4, etc, are installed and available.  Why aren't the installations being detected?  Thanx.

>--

Are you installing rpm versions of the other software that require M4?  If
so, rpm relies on a database which lists all of the rpm files on your
system.  To check it out, do an rpm -qa >rpm.txt and take a look at what you
got.  Now the problem is that rpm programs don't know about your non-rpm
installation of M4.  If they are non-rpm installs, welcome to Linux :)  YOu
will have to do a bit of detective work and track down where the programs
want to find M4.  If the programs have "configure" scripts, you can pass a
lot of configuration options for locations of libraries and applications
that are needed by the program you want to install.

Best thing, dig down, get a cup of joe and have some fun!  I still think of
it as fun when I try a new program which requires this or that.  A few times
I have stayed up all nite finding this or that obscure library or supporting
application which was needed to get something working right.  But, when I
did... The exultation :)

--
Michael Perry