1. Help on installing Yggdrasil summer 94 CD from SB16 CD-ROM
My PC has the following SCSI related configuration :
1) 1 Adaptec 1542C controller
2) 1 SCSI-2 Quantum 240MB hard disk
3) 1 SoundBlaster SCSI-2 sound card with SCSI CD-ROM support
4) 1 NEC SCSI-I CD-ROM without parity checking function
I have tried to connect my CD-ROM in the following two ways to install Linux
but failed :
1) Connect the CD-ROM to the sound card :
I boot the Linux by
The installation hangs after a long period of waiting for my CD-ROM to
respond. LILO dumps a lot of things to my screen saying about aborting
2) Daisy chaining my CD-ROM and hard disk through the 1542C controller and
disable the parity checking of the controller (otherwise it will cause
the system unable to read my floppy disk drive !).Then boot the Linux
just by pressing return after LILO loading Linux's prompt screen.
It failed by saying
kernel panic : VFS cannot mount CD-ROM (something like that)
After many hours of frustation, I need help from anybody who has similar
experience before. I guess the problem resides in my SCSI-1 CD-ROM which
does not support parity checking (it is a pity I bought it last week) because
I saw the loading process has 'parity checking=Enabled' string on the screen.
On the other hand, I can connect to my CD-ROM in both cases under DOS or
OS/2 2.1. I don't know how to tell Linux to bypass some checking in order to
support my CD-ROM. Since one of my reasons to buy a CD-ROM is to run Linux,
failing to do so frustated me a lot.
Can anybody help me ?
Thanks in advance
2. SMC9432TX EtherPower II 10/100
3. Won't detect and mount CD-ROM (Yggdrasil, cd-dependent)
4. SSL for apache
5. Can't install Yggdrasil summer 94 CD-ROM with SCSI-1 CD-ROM
6. FAQ pointer: Welcome to comp.os.linux.security
7. Linux, ISDN, & 56k Modems -- Useful and maybe Useful
8. Jumpstart CD vtoc change - please help
9. Useful info about CD-Burning
10. Free Yggdrasil CD !
11. Comments on Yggdrasil Linux CD-ROM?
12. HELP - Yggdrasil, Mitsumi CD ROM, ATI Ultra XLR Woes :(
13. Yggdrasil CD + SB16-SCSI2 ???