Yggdrasil CD useful any more?

Post by Danny Khal » Wed, 12 Apr 1995 04:00:00

I bought the Yggdrasil and after many attempts, I was unable
to install it. it wasn't detecting my HD's (I have a PS/Value Point)
I gave up and decided to download the slackware over the modem.
I installed the basic system and now I am wondering if the CD I
bought is of any use to me or is it going to go into the fireplace
at Christmas?
I mean can I  get the files for Xwindows and other stuff off the CD,
or should I forget about it?
Thanx,

Danny
-------
I pray for the strength to       ||

to accept what I can't, and      ||WWW:
the incapacity to tell the       ||http://
difference.                      ||
                -Calvin          ||

[...]

Post by Simon P Alle » Thu, 13 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> I bought the Yggdrasil and after many attempts, I was unable
> etc, etc,....

Er, so how many of these CDs did you buy in the end?  Looks like four at
the last count....

1. Help on installing Yggdrasil summer 94 CD from SB16 CD-ROM

Hi,
  My PC has the following SCSI related configuration :
  1) 1 Adaptec 1542C controller
  2) 1 SCSI-2 Quantum 240MB hard disk
  3) 1 SoundBlaster SCSI-2 sound card with SCSI CD-ROM support
  4) 1 NEC SCSI-I CD-ROM without parity checking function

  I have tried to connect my CD-ROM in the following two ways to install Linux
but failed :
  1) Connect the CD-ROM to the sound card :
     I boot the Linux by
        linux aha152x=0x340,11,1,1

     The installation hangs after a long period of waiting for my CD-ROM to
     respond. LILO dumps a lot of things to my screen saying about aborting
     the process.

  2) Daisy chaining my CD-ROM and hard disk through the 1542C controller and
     disable the parity checking of the controller (otherwise it will cause
     the system unable to read my floppy disk drive !).Then boot the Linux
     just by pressing return after LILO loading Linux's prompt screen.

     It failed by saying
          kernel panic : VFS cannot mount CD-ROM (something like that)

  After many hours of frustation, I need help from anybody who has similar
experience before. I guess the problem resides in my SCSI-1 CD-ROM which
does not support parity checking (it is a pity I bought it last week) because
I saw the loading process has 'parity checking=Enabled' string on the screen.

   On the other hand, I can connect to my CD-ROM in both cases under DOS or
OS/2 2.1. I don't know how to tell Linux to bypass some checking in order to
support my CD-ROM. Since one of my reasons to buy a CD-ROM is to run Linux,
failing to do so frustated me a lot.

   Can anybody help me ?

Thanks in advance
Eddie Ho

2. SMC9432TX EtherPower II 10/100

3. Won't detect and mount CD-ROM (Yggdrasil, cd-dependent)

4. SSL for apache

5. Can't install Yggdrasil summer 94 CD-ROM with SCSI-1 CD-ROM

6. FAQ pointer: Welcome to comp.os.linux.security

7. Linux, ISDN, & 56k Modems -- Useful and maybe Useful

8. Jumpstart CD vtoc change - please help

9. Useful info about CD-Burning

10. Free Yggdrasil CD !

11. Comments on Yggdrasil Linux CD-ROM?

12. HELP - Yggdrasil, Mitsumi CD ROM, ATI Ultra XLR Woes :(

13. Yggdrasil CD + SB16-SCSI2 ???