Trouble Loading SVGA Driver in Linux 6.1

Trouble Loading SVGA Driver in Linux 6.1

Post by Gilbert Groeh » Sat, 07 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I have made my first iinstall of Linux (SuSE 6.1) on
one of my older computers, a 90 Mhz Pentium with 1 Gig HD and
32 Mg Ram, which I am using to try to learn Linux.

I used a configuration (SuSE Default) which takes up about
700 Mg odf HD space for the primary partition.

Everything installed fine including the LILO boot system with the
exception that I can not get the correct video driver loaded.
The system loaded the default VGA16 Video server and it will not
allow me to go into xwindows.  Many errors are shown when I us
'startX'.   I have tried all possible combinations of resolutions,
etc. to no avail.

My question is:

How do I simply load xvga from the CD rom (its on Disk 1)
to my /etc/XF486Config file  ???

I tried to do this in YaST but to no avail.

Thanks for any help someone may be able to furnish.

Cordially
Gil Groehn