Kill this thing - how?

Post by Tom Edelbro » Mon, 25 Dec 2000 00:25:56

Some processes shown in "ps -A" respond to a kill command and others don't.

How can I kill a pesky process that doesn't respond to kill? (Besides
rebooting!)

Thanks,
Tom

Kill this thing - how?

Post by Lee soon » Mon, 25 Dec 2000 02:30:14

>Some processes shown in "ps -A" respond to a kill command and others don't.

>How can I kill a pesky process that doesn't respond to kill? (Besides
>rebooting!)

>Thanks,
>Tom

try to use -9 option.

ex) I wanna kill a 100(PID) process
first..
        kill 100
wouldn't die? then...
        kill -9 100

Kill this thing - how?

Post by Juan Arna » Mon, 25 Dec 2000 02:54:40

> Some processes shown in "ps -A" respond to a kill command and others don't.

> How can I kill a pesky process that doesn't respond to kill? (Besides
> rebooting!)

> Thanks,
> Tom

Try sending them the KILL signal with kill -9 <pid>. Btw if a process is
on a D or Z state you won't be able to kill it.

--
"On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section,
it said 'Requires Windows 95 or better'. So I installed Linux."

-Anonymous

Kill this thing - how?

Post by <j.. » Mon, 25 Dec 2000 07:49:08

>>Some processes shown in "ps -A" respond to a kill command and others don't.

>>How can I kill a pesky process that doesn't respond to kill? (Besides
>>rebooting!)

>>Thanks,
>>Tom

>try to use -9 option.

>ex) I wanna kill a 100(PID) process
>first..
>    kill 100
>wouldn't die? then...
>    kill -9 100

Sometimes you may be running into a forking process....you will
w;nt to kill them all

killall -9 [process name (eg netscape)]

Kill this thing - how?

Post by Jean-David Beye » Mon, 25 Dec 2000 10:33:41

> > Some processes shown in "ps -A" respond to a kill command and others don't.

> > How can I kill a pesky process that doesn't respond to kill? (Besides
> > rebooting!)

> > Thanks,
> > Tom

> Try sending them the KILL signal with kill -9 <pid>. Btw if a process is
> on a D or Z state you won't be able to kill it.

How do you kill a process on a D state without rebooting?

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

Kill this thing - how?

Post by phi » Tue, 26 Dec 2000 12:30:47

the following lines of wisdom:

Quote:>How do you kill a process on a D state without rebooting?

pstree or ps jax and find the PPID (parent process ID) and kill it.
Phil.

Kill this thing - how?

Post by Jean-David Beye » Tue, 26 Dec 2000 11:59:52

> the following lines of wisdom:
> >How do you kill a process on a D state without rebooting?

> pstree or ps jax and find the PPID (parent process ID) and kill it.
> Phil.

I do not dare: it is init (pid 1).

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey
^^-^^ 9:55pm up 20 days, 6:42, 2 users, load average: 2.24, 2.07, 2.04

Kill this thing - how?

Post by Floyd Davidso » Tue, 26 Dec 2000 13:03:48

>> the following lines of wisdom:
>> >How do you kill a process on a D state without rebooting?

>> pstree or ps jax and find the PPID (parent process ID) and kill it.
>> Phil.

>I do not dare: it is init (pid 1).

Why not?  It won't kill the D state process (what have you got
that shows up as D, anyway?), but it won't do much of anything
else either.

--
Floyd L. Davidson         <http://www.ptialaska.net/~floyd>

Kill this thing - how?

Post by Jean-David Beye » Tue, 26 Dec 2000 20:43:38

> >> the following lines of wisdom:

> >> pstree or ps jax and find the PPID (parent process ID) and kill it.
> >> Phil.

> >I do not dare: it is init (pid 1).

> Why not?  It won't kill the D state process (what have you got
> that shows up as D, anyway?), but it won't do much of anything
> else either.

A process gone wrong that runs a DDS-2 tape drive on a narrow SCSI
adapter. Hardly ever happens (months go by between occurrances of this
problem, making debugging difficult).

It has been suggested that I may be having troubles with the SCSI cable
or its termination. The cable is the original that came with the
machine, and the terminator is clearly in place. The (narrow) SCSI
controller is a SYM[20]810 by Symbios (LSI Logic), and the cable has a
terminator at the end, right after the connector that plugs into the
tape drive. Nothing else is on the cable. The SYM810 has an additional
connector at the back of the computer where I suppose I could plug other
things, but nothing else is connected to the controller. The DDS-2 tape
drive is a Hewlett-Packard C1599A that VA Linux systems supplied. When I
complained about this, they sent me a free new one that has the same
problem. This lowers the probability that the drive itself is defective.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey
^^-^^ 6:20am up 20 days, 15:06, 2 users, load average: 2.11, 2.11, 2.05

1. PLIP timeouts killing things

I'm having quite a lot of trouble making PLIP work between two machines
about 2 meters apart.  One is a 386dx16 (2.3 bogomips!) the other a
33 bogomips dx266.  On both machines I've tried cranking up the timers
to no avail.

Tailing the syslog I see that each side suffers from ocassional receive
and transmit timeouts, and apparently the timouts aren't recovered from.
For example, I attempt to ftp from the dx16 to the dx2/66.  Get a few
mb through and it stalls.  each side has timeouts, the sending side's
ps shows the ftp server is in a RETR state.  But it never sucessfully
RETRies.  Perhaps my question is whether I can adjust the RETR interval
so it actually retries instead of just passing on, as the PLIP link
remains usable and on another console I can ping and start new FTP and
telnet sessions with no trouble even though the previous ftp is frozen
up.

Sorry for the rambling nature of this posting, but if you have any ideas
on PLIP errors and retry intervals please email.  Thanks!  Howard

2. undefined reference to `displayName'

3. GLQuake Kills the whole thing!!!

4. Running in foreground/background?

5. after killed rpcd.. occured strange thing.

6. Do command when tail -f some_file | grep some_exp, matches?

7. KILL KILL KILL

8. Updating a text file that is linked.

9. Kill COREL; Kill COREL; Kill COREL; ...

10. A method to kill process that cannot be killed even with `kill -9'.

11. How to kill process which not killed by 'kill' ?

12. that sun env var thing -- it's the old LD_LIBRARY_PATH thing right?

13. That stupid windoze thing again (was That stupid prayer at school thing again...)