How to download Netscape, without using the download script ?

How to download Netscape, without using the download script ?

Post by Arctic Blizzar » Mon, 14 Jan 2002 00:10:51

I already know the easy way to install Netscape.  Download the installer and
run the scirpt, which will download and install Netscape.  However, because
of certain problems, this does not work for me.  Is there a way to download
the entire file first, and then run the installer script.

--

I'm using the "NATO & International Aviation Phonetic Alphabet" in my email
address, so the spammers'll have to work a bit harder.  If you're having

How to download Netscape, without using the download script ?

Post by Ray » Mon, 14 Jan 2002 20:53:40

with netscape6.2 you can download as seperate files (i think they've got
the .xpi extension) for the bits youre interested into one dir and then
you cna run the installer script, but first hack the config.ini file to
remove all lines that start with 'URL' -- doing this stops the install
script from trying to download the xpis from various ftp sites.

below is a list of files that i grabbed for my netscape 6.2 install.  hth
ray

browser.xpi
custom.end
custom.start
deflenus.xpi
flash.xpi
full.end
full.start
langenus.xpi
mail.xpi
netscape-6.2-installer.tar.gz
psm.xpi
recommended.end
recommended.start
regca.xpi
reges.xpi
reggb.xpi
regus.xpi
site
xpcom.xp

> I already know the easy way to install Netscape.  Download the installer and
> run the scirpt, which will download and install Netscape.  However, because
> of certain problems, this does not work for me.  Is there a way to download
> the entire file first, and then run the installer script.

> --

> I'm using the "NATO & International Aviation Phonetic Alphabet" in my email
> address, so the spammers'll have to work a bit harder.  If you're having
> trouble deciphering my cryptic email address, look up "Phonetic Alphabet" on
> the web.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

How to download Netscape, without using the download script ?

Post by ynotsso » Mon, 14 Jan 2002 23:50:06

Quote:

> I already know the easy way to install Netscape.  Download the installer and
> run the scirpt, which will download and install Netscape.  However, because
> of certain problems, this does not work for me.  Is there a way to download
> the entire file first, and then run the installer script.

[...]

It might even be easier if we knew what those "certain problems " were. Maybe
easier to solve those?

After I download the installer and studied the layout, I believe that with a
little work, the answer to your question is yes. To make life easy, you'll need
"wget", which can be had at
http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=wget

Adjust the following for release/version/language desired, and the wget options
if you require proxy (wget -h for help):

    wget -r -l2 -T10 -A"*.*" \
    ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/netscape6/english/6.2/unix/linux22/

will recursively descend 2 levels with a 10 second timeout, and download all
files into 4 relative directories locally:

    ./.
    plugins/
    sea/
    xpi/

In the current directory is the installer:

    tar xzvf *.gz

and you'll need to use "sed" to edit the URL[01] in the config.ini file to your
local directories instead of the ftp://<etc> locations which pull the files
over the 'Net. Because the URLs in the config.ini file are pathnames, you'll
need to use any other character than "/" for the sed substitution delimiter:

    cp config.ini config.ini.ORG
    sed -e "s&ftp://ftp<etc.>&file://local/dirpath/sea&g" \
          -e "s&ftp://sweetlou<etc.>&file://local/dirpath/xpi&g" \
          config.ini.ORG > config.ini

Then run "netscape-installer" AFTER reading the README, and with maybe only a
couple alterations in the above, it will work as you want.

Then again, maybe not. =B^)

       tony

How to download Netscape, without using the download script ?

Post by ynotsso » Tue, 15 Jan 2002 12:25:39

[...]
Quote:>>I already know the easy way to install Netscape.  Download the installer and
>>run the scirpt, which will download and install Netscape.  However, because
>>of certain problems, this does not work for me.  Is there a way to download
>>the entire file first, and then run the installer script.

> Yeah, ftp to

ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/netscape6/english/6.2.1/unix/linux22/sea/n...
86-pc-linux-gnu-sea.tar.gz
[...]

Does the sea/*gz file include everything necessary, without descending into the
../xpi ?

    tony

Post by John Thompso » Tue, 15 Jan 2002 22:41:24

>> Yeah, ftp to

> ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/netscape6/english/6.2.1/unix/linux22/sea/n...
> 86-pc-linux-gnu-sea.tar.gz
> Does the sea/*gz file include everything necessary, without descending into the
> ../xpi ?

Yes.  Just unpack it to a temporary location and run the installer script.

--

1. How to download from blastwave WITHOUT using pkg-get?

How to download from blastwave WITHOUT using pkg-get?

Like, download to my shell-acct (on panix.com, uses netbsd for its OS)

Or, download via Win2K, onto CD, sneaker-net to blade100.

(Since presumably pkg-get runs only under Solaris.)

Any ideas?  Nothing I read there at blastwave tells me how.

Thanks,

David

PS: Not that I'd be able to use it (given no *direct* connection to
internet) -- but I couldn't see even how to download an up-to-date
pkg-get, even from that other web-site blastwave sends you to.

(Could that be due to my (non-gui) shell-account lilmiting me to
LYNX-browser, which doesn't understand javascript?)

D.

2. Problems with Acer ALN-101 network card

3. Double downloads using Netscape as News viewer...

4. ACPI PCI Hotplug driver update for 2.4.19-rc2-ac2

5. Problem in downloading using NetScape 4.6.1

6. Solaris 2.6 x86 - setting video resolution???

7. Downloading Netscape using Hotjava

8. Help setting up DSL on second NIC

9. Quick question about downloading files using netscape in linux..

10. Netscape 4.5 problem downloading binaries from site using apache 1.3

11. md5 checksums for 4/2001 companion cd download [was Re: Problems downloading Companion CD]

12. More than 1.5 million Linux downloads on Download.com