To ELF or not to ELF?!

Post by John T. Crote » Sat, 03 Jun 1995 04:00:00

I am putting together another new P90 box at home that will be dedicated to
Linux and I am wondering if now would be a good time to switch to ELF.

I have checked out a few ELF related pages and still have just a few
questions:

  1) Should I migrate slowly or can I do it all at once?

  2) XFree86 and X applications, anything special I need to know I tend
     to spend quite a bit of my time in X?

Any suggestions, warnings, comments would be greatly appreciated!

    John T. Croteau - Network Engineer - 100% Linux, 100% ELF coming soon!

To ELF or not to ELF?!

Post by Andrew R. Tef » Tue, 06 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I am putting together another new P90 box at home that will be dedicated to
>Linux and I am wondering if now would be a good time to switch to ELF.

It's a good time to get started, now that you have a lot of disk space.
You can easily fit an a.out/elf combination system to ease the transition.

Quote:>  1) Should I migrate slowly or can I do it all at once?

Well, since it's a new system you could get one of the new all-elf distributions,
but you'd be missing some things (read on).

Personally I would migrate slowly as long as you have the disk space for the
old libraries. I just did a massive 'ldd' scan on all my executables to see
what's linked with what, so that I can delete some old versions of libraries.
That's helpful! :-)

You can grab the elf gcc, so that everything you compile from now on is in
elf format, but replace your a.out binaries as you are able. Certain things
will be difficult: doom, netscape, mosaic and other Motif applications,
because most of us are reliant on others to compile them for us. Others,
like emacs, are too big for most of us to compile but should be in elf in
major distributions real soon.

Quote:>  2) XFree86 and X applications, anything special I need to know I tend
>     to spend quite a bit of my time in X?

Nothing special about X wrt libraries, except that there are libraries.

In general just remember you will need to keep your old libraries around
as long as you have a.out binaries that use them.

--

1. ELF interpreter ld-elf.so.1 not found????!!

What's going on?! I recently downloaded some packages but almost none of them
worked but gave "ELF interpreter ls-elf.so.1 not found" error message!

I have tried them on 2.2.2/2.2.5/2.2.6 and 3.0-SNAP(from August) -  all fail.

Doing a normal make in /usr/ports gets them running OK though.

Hints anyone?

/Micke

2. RPM question

3. To ELF or not to ELF ...

4. XF86Config

5. Advice needed: To ELF or not to ELF

6. Running GDBM on NFS server in Solaris 2.5

7. ELF or not ELF

8. Is there any good reason to leave IPv6 enabled in the kernel?

9. Linux XFree86 elf xerver wn't work (Mach32, ELF)

10. SVR4 ELF access library question... (ELF-specific)

11. ELF Linux Distribution on CD-ROM - 100% ELF

12. X86 Solaris ELF compatibility with Linux ELF

13. ELF system - non-ELF program