Ownership of multiple groups, and being in multiple groups

Ownership of multiple groups, and being in multiple groups

Post by Ken Eric Yasu » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I have an interest in making a hard disk partition accessible to more than one
group, but am not sure if this is possible.  Any suggestions?

Also, I am interested in putting a user into more than one group.  Any
suggestions on how to do this?

Thanks,

Ken

Ownership of multiple groups, and being in multiple groups

Post by fina » Fri, 31 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Ken Eric Yasuda has said that...
  :I have an interest in making a hard disk partition accessible
  :to more than one group, but am not sure if this is possible.
  :Any suggestions?
  :
  :
  :
  :Also, I am interested in putting a user into more than one group.  Any
  :suggestions on how to do this?
  :
  :
  :Thanks,
  :
  :Ken

1. Make a new group and add the members of both groups to it.
2. usermod -G<list of groups> <user>

$ apropos '(user|group)(add|mod|del)'

HTH,
final

1. group & perms w/ multiple groups

We have a recurrent annoyance for which I hope there is
well-established solution.

In our work place, all users' acounts belong to the user group, but
several accounts (including root) belong also to the www group.  We
have several directories that belong to root.www.  In these
directories, all files must be owned by the www group.

But frequently members of this group write files in those directories
(or move them there) and forget to change the ownership to www.  Or
else they forget make the files group-accessible.  When other users
need to work on that file, they first need to find the original user
or someone with the root password before they can work on the file.

We would like to set up a system such that files in those directories
always

  1. have www as their group
  2. are group-writable

Is there a way to enforce this automatically, other than writing a
cron job to periodically set all ownerships to www and the right
permissions?

Thanks,

bill

2. Getting starded with g++

3. Netscape: specifying multiple groups using auth-group

4. How to specify boot disk/partition?

5. NSAPI: Allowing multiple groups in an auth-group parm in obj.conf

6. Mounting a floppy...

7. group & perms w/ multiple groups

8. nn6.5.0b3 and NOV

9. user ownership and group ownership

10. cannot set up UMASK or groups so that users from one group cannot access other groups

11. grouping a group to a group?

12. Keeping groups, groups and groups straight

13. GROUPS CONTAINING OTHER GROUPS (/etc/group)