Total frustration with PS/2 mouse --- please help!

Total frustration with PS/2 mouse --- please help!

Post by Darrell R. Houg » Tue, 24 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I have a Gateway 2000, P5-166, with PS/2 mouse, STB ET6000 video card and
Vivitron 1776 monitor.

I can control the pointer by using the mouse under Windows 95 but I can't
control it using gpm or X.

Using gpm or X, the cursor/pointer keeps returning to the upper left-hand
corner of the screen and the buttons don't do anything.  Sometimes the
cursor stays at another location on the screen when I quit moving the mouse,
but as soon as I move it again, it returns to the upper left-hand corner.

As I move the mouse, the computer makes a buzzing sound.  I think the buzzing
is coming from the video card as it alternates between drawing the cursor
in the middle of the screen and the upper left-hand corner.

Under X, a menu sometimes shows up as the mouse is moved.  X also generated
the following error message:

Warning: /dev/mouse unable to get status of mouse fd (invalid argument).

The Slackware 3.0 Linux kernel 1.2.13 .config file includes support for a
PSMOUSE but since it wasn't working I went ahead and compiled kernel 1.3.20
making sure to include PSMOUSE but to no avail.

Other notes: /dev/mouse is pointing to /dev/psaux. I ran various setup
programs just to make sure things were correctly configured.  I removed
psaux and recreated it using mknod with no change.

I originally configured the mouse to be of type Microsoft compatible serial
mouse by mistake.  Under that configuration, nothing happened when I moved
the mouse (probably because /dev/mouse was pointing as the wrong driver).

Is there something I'm missing here?

Please help!

Darrell

-----------------------
Darrell R. Hougen

Total frustration with PS/2 mouse --- please help!

Post by Shankar Un » Sat, 28 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I have a Gateway 2000, P5-166, with PS/2 mouse, STB ET6000 video card and
> Vivitron 1776 monitor.

I have the same, except a Mach64 and a ViewSonic.

Quote:> Using gpm or X, the cursor/pointer keeps returning to the upper left-hand
> corner of the screen and the buttons don't do anything.  Sometimes the
> cursor stays at another location on the screen when I quit moving the mouse,
> but as soon as I move it again, it returns to the upper left-hand corner.

Never used gpm, but at least as far as X goes, this sounds like you have
the wrong mouse type configured in your /etc/XF86Config. You should have
the following line(s):

Section "Pointer"
    Protocol    "PS/2"
    Device      "/dev/psmouse"
    # the following 2 lines for 2-button mice:
    Emulate3Buttons
    Emulate3Timeout    50
EndSection

Yes, you should *also* have CONFIG_PSMOUSE enabled, but that should work
out of the box for 1.2.13 as well as more recent releases.
--

Chromatic Research                            (408) 752-9488

1. Total frustration with PS/2 mouse --- please help!

[...]

2. Patch?: linux-2.5.29-ide109 small bio-based cleanup

3. ps/2 mouse can't work, please help

4. Need some help with printing.

5. PS/2 mouse problem in X. please help.

6. X3.2 Configuration

7. PS/2 mouse: Day 2, the Saga continues ... please help!

8. The wonderful Linux community

9. PS/2 Mouse TERROR. Please help.

10. Help with PS/2 mouse and gpm please

11. PLEASE HELP -- Logitec PS/2 mouse keeps locking up

12. Please help on ps/2 mouse setup

13. Problems with PS/2 mouse and X11... please help