Wanted: Database/Contact mgr with backend on Linux/FreeBSD, web frontend

Wanted: Database/Contact mgr with backend on Linux/FreeBSD, web frontend

Post by Daniel Ts' » Sun, 18 Apr 1999 04:00:00

        I am looking for a database application that either is like, or could
be made similar to Symantec ACT, ie a contact manager which organizes
people, companies, addresses, phone numbers, contact notes, group membership,
action notes, perhaps scheduling, phone log, calendar, etc.

        It should be "client/server" (unlike ACT), preferably with the client
being any decent HTML browser on the Internet and the backend running on Linux
or FreeBSD (e.g. Apache + PHP + MySQL). In addition to DB entry and reporting,
it would be nice if it were capable of printing address labels after a
selection (ie print labels in zipcode sorted order for all contacts who are
interested in X, or the member of group Y).

        I gather that much of this could be implemented with MS Outlook and MS
Exchange on NT, dialing in with RAS. However I would prefer an "open source"
solution.

        Such a thing around ? Thanks.

Cheers,

The Rockefeller University, 1230 York Ave MS138, NY, NY  10021
212-327-7671, FAX: 212-327-7671

Wanted: Database/Contact mgr with backend on Linux/FreeBSD, web frontend

Post by Jim Dutt » Mon, 19 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>         I am looking for a database application that either is like, or could
> be made similar to Symantec ACT, ie a contact manager which organizes
> people, companies, addresses, phone numbers, contact notes, group membership,
> action notes, perhaps scheduling, phone log, calendar, etc.

>         It should be "client/server" (unlike ACT), preferably with the client
> being any decent HTML browser on the Internet and the backend running on Linux
> or FreeBSD (e.g. Apache + PHP + MySQL). In addition to DB entry and reporting,
> it would be nice if it were capable of printing address labels after a
> selection (ie print labels in zipcode sorted order for all contacts who are
> interested in X, or the member of group Y).

I am not familiar with "contact managers" nor Symantec ACT, and I am sure that
others may have a suggestion more in line with the TYPE of application that
you are looking for, but all of the data and most of the functionality of what
you mention could be put into and be made available from an LDAP (Internet
Directory Services) server.

Look at UMich-3.3 LDAP and Web500GW.

Post by Leonzo E. Miller II » Mon, 19 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>         I am looking for a database application that either is like, or could
> be made similar to Symantec ACT, ie a contact manager which organizes
> people, companies, addresses, phone numbers, contact notes, group membership,
> action notes, perhaps scheduling, phone log, calendar, etc.

>         It should be "client/server" (unlike ACT), preferably with the client
> being any decent HTML browser on the Internet and the backend running on Linux
> or FreeBSD (e.g. Apache + PHP + MySQL). In addition to DB entry and reporting,
> it would be nice if it were capable of printing address labels after a
> selection (ie print labels in zipcode sorted order for all contacts who are
> interested in X, or the member of group Y).

>         I gather that much of this could be implemented with MS Outlook and MS
> Exchange on NT, dialing in with RAS. However I would prefer an "open source"
> solution.

>         Such a thing around ? Thanks.

> Cheers,

> The Rockefeller University, 1230 York Ave MS138, NY, NY  10021
> 212-327-7671, FAX: 212-327-7671

go to http://www/angoss.com

get their SmartWare 2000 for Linux

--
Integrated Information Solutions    http://www.logosnet.net
SmartWare 2000 PLUS!              You've tried the rest!

Wanted: Database/Contact mgr with backend on Linux/FreeBSD, web frontend

Post by Jared Heck » Tue, 20 Apr 1999 04:00:00

ACT uses the dBase III (dbf) fromat.  I believe you can find a few
shareware/freeware products on Linux that support that, though being an
Oracle person nothing comes to mind :-).  As to a contact manager vertical
app, I haven't seen any built on top of a database.

Regards,
jh

: >         I am looking for a database application that either is like, or could
: > be made similar to Symantec ACT, ie a contact manager which organizes
: > people, companies, addresses, phone numbers, contact notes, group membership,
: > action notes, perhaps scheduling, phone log, calendar, etc.
: >
[...]

: --
: Integrated Information Solutions    http://www.logosnet.net
: SmartWare 2000 PLUS!              You've tried the rest!

--
Jared Hecker    | HWA Inc. - Oracle architecture and Administration

Post by Thomas Ket » Wed, 05 May 1999 04:00:00

>         I am looking for a database application that either is like, or could
> be made similar to Symantec ACT, ie a contact manager which organizes
> people, companies, addresses, phone numbers, contact notes, group membership,
> action notes, perhaps scheduling, phone log, calendar, etc.

>         It should be "client/server" (unlike ACT), preferably with the client
> being any decent HTML browser on the Internet and the backend running on Linux
> or FreeBSD (e.g. Apache + PHP + MySQL). In addition to DB entry and reporting,
> it would be nice if it were capable of printing address labels after a
> selection (ie print labels in zipcode sorted order for all contacts who are
> interested in X, or the member of group Y).

>         I gather that much of this could be implemented with MS Outlook and MS
> Exchange on NT, dialing in with RAS. However I would prefer an "open source"
> solution.

>         Such a thing around ? Thanks.

> Cheers,

> The Rockefeller University, 1230 York Ave MS138, NY, NY  10021
> 212-327-7671, FAX: 212-327-7671

Up to about 2 years ago, there was a handful of Unix contact manager
software vendors, now I think there may be one at the high end of the
market with fully integrated telephony. telemagic, goldmine and another
contact manager  pulled out of the Unix i386 market in the last couple
of years, if this a political move or just plain economics I don't know.
Alternates are an emacs based contact management called "insideous big
brother database" and another commericial vendor that can be located via
search engines, make sure to use Unix and Contact Management in your
search criteria to narrow down the results. From what Ive seen the pickins
are slim for contact management for Unix/Linux.

Sorry I don't rememeber the name of the vendor with the client server
model, I had discounted it for me because it would work under tcp/ip
gui only and I need it to work under dumb terminals also. The average
price for contact management about 6 years ago was about $100-$200 per
user, now it seems that contact management is only available for i386 under
the m$ platform at about $1250-$1500 per user, not including the elaborate
network and pc's. I think there are alot a disadvantages using the
client/server model for Unix i386 based contact management. While it is
important to serve any platform anywhere with a client/server model it is
just as imortant that that the underlying contact mangager model work
through character based shell and telnet.

I am currently working with software developer called Panasoft, they claim
to have a Unix/Linux contact manager available in the next couple of months.
I will marketed at a fair price with "unlimited" users or users based upon
the user license of the Unix flavor you are running. I really hate to see
Unix and Unix software marketed like single user operating systems.

If you seek more info contact: Neville A. Millar at Panasoft
818-784-485 http://www.panasites.com
Say that Greg Keto refferred you.

Greg Keto

Post by Larry Blanchar » Thu, 06 May 1999 04:00:00

> > I really hate to see Unix and Unix software marketed like single user
> > operating systems.

> I know, I know, you meant you hated the fact that Unix is being marketed as if
> it were *only* a single user operating system.  Marketing is about selling
> stuff, not about educating the masses.  That's what the mailing lists, usenet,
> the websites, newsletters, documentation, and publications are for.  I don't
> care *how* companies market Unix and its warez, so long as it gets more people
> pumping money into the market.

But it does seem a shame that so many will never know that it's the only
major O/S available that is multi-user.  Maybe Linux should have a line
at the end of the boot procedure.  "Have you added a user today?"
springs to mind :-).

--
Larry Blanchard - Old roses, old motorcycles, and old trains
Homo Sapiens is a goal, not a description.

Post by Michael Maxwel » Fri, 07 May 1999 04:00:00

> > I really hate to see Unix and Unix software marketed like single user
> > operating systems.

> Why not?  That's what they are, at least from the demographics figures.  The
> number of Unix workstations _far_ outnumbers the number of servers.  The same
> was not true ten or probably even five years ago, but it's true today.

The only thing I'd disagree with here is that, if a system is marketed as
a "single-user" system, then development will inevitably follow in that
direction -- optimizing the system for single-user, developing single-user
oriented applications, or whatever the case may be.

Don't take my word for it, but marketing is a pretty powerful thing.

--

              -- Stop the illegal attacks on Serbia NOW! --

Wanted: Database/Contact mgr with backend on Linux/FreeBSD, web frontend

Post by Rolf Marvin B?e Lindgre » Fri, 07 May 1999 04:00:00

[ wclark xoom

| Why not?  That's what they are, at least from the demographics
| figures.  The number of Unix workstations _far_ outnumbers the number
| of servers.  The same was not true ten or probably even five years
| ago, but it's true today.

UNIX supports several users out of convenience - some processes are best
run as a separate users.  to me, the fact that the same machine can run
several login shells simultaneously is not sufficient to call it
anything else.  the concept, in UNIX, is a hack - for instance, that
there are only two levels of user - root and not root.

if you want a true shared user system, go for an operating system that
supports it - NOS, VMS, TOPS-20.

--
Rolf Lindgren                                        http://www.uio.no/~roffe/

Post by ze.. » Fri, 07 May 1999 04:00:00

: UNIX supports several users out of convenience - some processes are best
: run as a separate users.  to me, the fact that the same machine can run
: several login shells simultaneously is not sufficient to call it
: anything else.  the concept, in UNIX, is a hack - for instance, that
: there are only two levels of user - root and not root.

        This is why Unix has groups.

: if you want a true shared user system, go for an operating system that
: supports it - NOS, VMS, TOPS-20.

        Want or need?  Most people don't need VMS and fewer still want it,
        even in true multi-user settings.

--

        Yah, Emacs is a good OS, but I prefer FreeBSD.

1. Best database for web backend on Linux?

Now that we got all sorts of commercial and free databases available for
Linux, I don't know what to use.  I currently use PostgreSQL, but its SQL
implementation is quite incomplete (no foreign key, alter table add
constraint, etc.), and there's no row-level locking.  I want to try
something else but don't have much experience with other databases.  Can
someone summarize the pros and cons of each database as a web backend?  I'm
considering PostgreSQL, MySQL, Solid, Oracle, Sybase, and Informix.  The
features I'm most interested in are transaction support, general SQL
support, good Perl DBI/DBD implementation, row-level locking, online backup,
max size of VARCHAR, and persistent connection.  Oh, also price.  (I know
Sybase for Linux is free, but what's the price for Oracle as a web backend?)

Thanks,
Yun

2. Auto Logoff

3. GUI SQL frontend on Linux for Informix backend?

4. script to separate characters of a line in a file

5. Can't get rid of the FreeBSD Boot Mgr to get to NT Boot Mgr

6. SCO PPP 5.0.4 crash on Compaq PII

7. frontend apache proxy to backend apache for balancing.

8. Can't load DRI with a Rage Mobility 128

9. Database Frontends in Linux?

10. MGR NAPLPS & GUI BBS Frontends

11. Web+ : Web to Database Middleware, Web Application Development Tool for Unix

12. 411admin - Contact Database (Xaw) for Linux

13. LINKS-Browser as Frontend for Automation, was: Embedded Linux Web Browsers