>>>Connecting to ISP Questions<<<

Post by Gilbert Groeh » Sun, 08 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hello fello Linux users:

I am a total neophyte to Linux but installed SuSE
6.1 with minimal problems in the last couple of days
to start learning the system.

Had a few problems at first configuring the X windows
GUI but that seems to be solved now.

I now need advice on what is the best method to connect to
my ISP via dial up modem.  I use worldnet.att.net  and all of their
dial in software is Windows based.  I am assuming that there is
a dialer somewhere in the Linux package but I have not tried it
yet and do not know if it will work with worldnet in any case.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cordially,

Gil Groehn

>>>Connecting to ISP Questions<<<

Post by gree.. » Mon, 09 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I'm no great expert either, but I can tell you
about PPP (Point to Point Protocol).  That is
the connection protocoll uesd by most ISP's.
AFAIK, all ISP's.  I believe the command to
establish a dialed up PPP connection is PPPdial.
Anyway, do a man on PPP and PPPdial.  IIRC There
is also a mini howto that will walk you through the
procedure.

--
Just my $0.02 worth.
Hope this helps,

Sure this is my real e-mail address.  Just try
to get past my spam filters.
There are minor children in this house.
Any * related spam will result in a
complaint to applicable athorities.

Post by Bruce Schult » Tue, 24 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> Hello fello Linux users:

> I am a total neophyte to Linux but installed SuSE
> 6.1 with minimal problems in the last couple of days
> to start learning the system.

> Had a few problems at first configuring the X windows
> GUI but that seems to be solved now.

> I now need advice on what is the best method to connect to
> my ISP via dial up modem.  I use worldnet.att.net  and all of their
> dial in software is Windows based.  I am assuming that there is
> a dialer somewhere in the Linux package but I have not tried it
> yet and do not know if it will work with worldnet in any case.

> Any help would be most appreciated.

Worldnet uses CHAP authentication and throws a few other curves.

There is a web site maintained by worldnet which has instructions.
See http://www.wurd.com

--
Bruce Schultz