backspace and delete keys do not function under RH7

backspace and delete keys do not function under RH7

Post by yft » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi

I have just installed RH7 on my PC and for some reason my backspace and
delete keys do not delete in a shell under X-Window (GNOME). All they do is
beep everytime I use them. I've tried to tried to configure the keyboard and
have set it to my locale but to no avail. The two keys work fine without
X-Window.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Cheers.

Jon Tsu

backspace and delete keys do not function under RH7

Post by clickfre.. » Mon, 30 Oct 2000 00:26:26

Jon, Check out your /etc/X11/XF86Config settings, specifically the "Keyboard"
section, setting the right keyboard type helped me : ) Good Luck

Rgrds
Darren

Quote:> Hi

> I have just installed RH7 on my PC and for some reason my backspace and
> delete keys do not delete in a shell under X-Window (GNOME). All they do is
> beep everytime I use them. I've tried to tried to configure the keyboard and
> have set it to my locale but to no avail. The two keys work fine without
> X-Window.

> Any ideas on how to fix this?

> Cheers.

> Jon Tsu

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

backspace and delete keys do not function under RH7

Post by clickfre.. » Mon, 30 Oct 2000 00:30:08

Jon, Try editing the /etc/X11/XF86Config file (the keyboard section) to
select the right map for X. Hope this helps : ) Rgds D

Quote:> Hi

> I have just installed RH7 on my PC and for some reason my backspace and
> delete keys do not delete in a shell under X-Window (GNOME). All they do is
> beep everytime I use them. I've tried to tried to configure the keyboard and
> have set it to my locale but to no avail. The two keys work fine without
> X-Window.

> Any ideas on how to fix this?

> Cheers.

> Jon Tsu

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

backspace and delete keys do not function under RH7

Post by Ned Kittlit » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I also asked about this earlier, under the subject "redhat 6.2
xterm/bash backspace key does not work".

In my case, it would be different anyhow, because my X server is
actually Hummingbird Exceed running on windows NT. Exceed keyboard
configuration gives me one option "us kbf" that appears to be relevant;
there were some 106-key variants - damn how many keys do I have?

I just found an alternative: edit /etc/inputrc or make your own copy in
~/.inputrc. Change the line
  "\e[3~": delete-char
  "\e[3~": backward-delete-char

I've always worked with "stty erase ^H", and this feels right to me. I
don't know how this would affect someone who is a DELETE or RUBOUT
person.

I just did a test with a clients on RH6 and RH6.2 systems.
    stty raw
    od -xc
      type a few characters then repeatedly press the backspace key

on rh6.2, I get the escape sequence. on rh6, I get ^H. Maybe a different
keyboard map changes this.

Ned

1. newbie question: backspace key in Netscape is acting like the delete key

<if this is a repeat I apologize, for some reason the campus news server is
acting up and none of my posts went through...>

whenever I hit the backspace key in Netscape 405 it deleted the
character to the right of the cursor, basically acting like the delete
key.  This only seems to occur in Netscape.  If you have any ideas on
how to fix this, I would greatly appreciate it.  thanks ahead of time.

//Pascal

ps: running RedHat 5.0

2. eMASTER+ problems (Ethernet)

3. X11: Backspace key same as delete key? Solution?

4. How to append text in the end of a line?

5. backspace key is behaving like a delete key

6. SoftUpdate + BIG hd

7. Delete and Backspace not functioning

8. [Fwd: ]

9. can not use backspace and delete key

10. backspace does delete not backspace

11. how to set backspace as backspace, not delete?

12. Remapping Keys (want delete key to delete etc!)

13. Delete & Backspace key identical. What gives?