need help on network configuration

Post by Shui Kwan Wo » Thu, 19 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Hi Guys,

I am runing Red Hat 3.0.3 on an Intel Pentium 120MHZ, 32 MB RAM.......and a
3Com Etherlink III Ethernet Card.

I have some problem in configurating the network, and the people from
the Red Hat company told me that all Red Hat 3.0.3 CDs have a buggy version
of the Network Configuration Tool. They told me to ftp the good version from
Red Hat's ftp site.

Now I have the good version, netcfg-2.2-2.i386.rpm, on a floppy.
How should I do to replace the buggy one (my problem is I don't know the
name of the buggy version and don't know where (like in what directory) it
is in my machine. I tried to use the command 'find' to locate the buggy version
 in my machine but did not find it. Another thing is how should I activate
the good version (netcfg-2.2-2.i386.rpm). Do I need to do something like:

rpm -ivh netcfg-2.2-2.i386.rpm

Do I need to make the proper link too? If so, how should I do that?

I found that you guys are more helpful than the support people at Red Hat and
that is why I am posting for help here. If you have any suggestions, please
e-mail me. My e-mail address is:

Thank you in advance.

abby

Post by Georg Dei » Thu, 19 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> Hi Guys,

> I am runing Red Hat 3.0.3 on an Intel Pentium 120MHZ, 32 MB RAM.......and a
> 3Com Etherlink III Ethernet Card.

> I have some problem in configurating the network, and the people from
> the Red Hat company told me that all Red Hat 3.0.3 CDs have a buggy version
> of the Network Configuration Tool. They told me to ftp the good version from
> Red Hat's ftp site.

> Now I have the good version, netcfg-2.2-2.i386.rpm, on a floppy.
> How should I do to replace the buggy one (my problem is I don't know the
> name of the buggy version and don't know where (like in what directory) it
> is in my machine. I tried to use the command 'find' to locate the buggy version
>  in my machine but did not find it. Another thing is how should I activate
> the good version (netcfg-2.2-2.i386.rpm). Do I need to do something like:

> rpm -ivh netcfg-2.2-2.i386.rpm

No, try
        rpm -Uvh netcfg-2.2-2.i386.rpm

U means Update :-)

georg

> Do I need to make the proper link too? If so, how should I do that?

> I found that you guys are more helpful than the support people at Red Hat and
> that is why I am posting for help here. If you have any suggestions, please
> e-mail me. My e-mail address is:

> Thank you in advance.

> abby

1. FreeBSD network configuration help needed!

Hi, I've got an interesting network config, but am having trouble
setting it up.

I was hoping that someone here has run into this situation and knows the
solution... any help is much appreciated!

OK, here's the scenario:

I've got a machine that I want to set up with 2 NICs, one pointing to my
internal network (xl0) allowing most types of access, and one pointing
out to the internet (xl1) with SSH access only.

On the internal network, I want to set it up to configure the interface
using the network's DHCP service.  I need to set a hostname for internal
access.

On the external network, I've got a static IP address.  I don't need to
set a hostname for external access.

I've got firewall turned on, and am using the "simple" config.

So my questions are:

What should my rc.conf look like for this setup?
What rules should I remove/add to simple to allow only SSH access from
the outside?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Eron Hennessey
Chromium. Communications

2. Zip parallel port drive with Redhat 5.1

3. Need HELP with network configuration

4. SCSI Emulation

5. Need help with mixed wired/wireless network (the Bob Hauck configuration)

6. software and kernel 2.4.x

7. Dual Network Configuration - Help Needed

8. 16M RAM: do I need swap??

9. NEED help RH4.1 network configuration -- no X.

10. Need help with network Configuration! Please~

11. Need help with network configuration

12. need help on network configuration

13. Linux NETWORK configuration help needed