Help: Restoring TAR'd Backup to New Drive

Help: Restoring TAR'd Backup to New Drive

Post by Mark » Tue, 05 Nov 2002 07:33:23

Since getting my RH8 install "where I want it", I've been very concerned
with the ability (or in my case, my *inability*) to successfully restore
it to a new drive. I have been creating TAR'd backups of everything
except /mnt and /proc. My questions are:

1) To what extent to I have to install RH8 on the other drive?

2) Can I boot to a boot floppy, create a file system, and restore
everything in the file to the new drive? If so, how do I mount the drive
that contains the backup file, when I have no fstab?  How do I size the
partitions? The boot floppy I made for RH8 only seems to want to boot
the image from the hard drive.  Are there utilities on there as well?

I have tried other alternatives, such as mkcdrec, and mondo, but I've
had problems with both. I've tried Norton Ghost, but it complains about
a faulty sector and just aborts. In a nutshell, before I move to RH full
time, as I am *very* inclined to do, I need to know that I can get it
back if necessary.

Thanks for whatever help you can throw my way.

Mark
--

** "That's quite a dress you almost have on." -- Gene Kelly

Post by e.. » Tue, 05 Nov 2002 11:32:59

> Since getting my RH8 install "where I want it", I've been very concerned
> with the ability (or in my case, my *inability*) to successfully restore
> it to a new drive. I have been creating TAR'd backups of everything
> except /mnt and /proc. My questions are:

> 1) To what extent to I have to install RH8 on the other drive?

None whatsoever i guess, unless you have some piece of hardware that
needs to be reckognized at boot AND only redhat provides necessary
drivers. (Highly unlikely)

Quote:> 2) Can I boot to a boot floppy, create a file system, and restore
> everything in the file to the new drive? If so, how do I mount the drive
> that contains the backup file, when I have no fstab?  How do I size the
> partitions? The boot floppy I made for RH8 only seems to want to boot
> the image from the hard drive.  Are there utilities on there as well?

In short, yes you can.
Fstab is of no importance, you can mount ok manually. As for partition
sizes, add output of "fdisk -l /dev/xxx" to your backup, helps you to
create partitions of same size. Of course, there's no need for new
partitions to be exactly the same size they used to be.
Create your own boot+root disks, see
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO/index.html

Quote:> I have tried other alternatives, such as mkcdrec, and mondo, but I've
> had problems with both. I've tried Norton Ghost, but it complains about
> a faulty sector and just aborts. In a nutshell, before I move to RH full
> time, as I am *very* inclined to do, I need to know that I can get it
> back if necessary.

> Thanks for whatever help you can throw my way.

> Mark

Dont forget to adjust /etc/fstab and bootloaders conf file.
Most important thing, test everything! You wont be happy to find
out that your backup resides on reiserfs file system but your rescue
disks have no clue about how to access it (etc etc).

Erik

Post by Mark » Tue, 05 Nov 2002 12:27:01

>>Since getting my RH8 install "where I want it", I've been very concerned
>>with the ability (or in my case, my *inability*) to successfully restore
>>it to a new drive. I have been creating TAR'd backups of everything
>>except /mnt and /proc. My questions are:

>>1) To what extent to I have to install RH8 on the other drive?

> None whatsoever i guess, unless you have some piece of hardware that
> needs to be reckognized at boot AND only redhat provides necessary
> drivers. (Highly unlikely)

That's encouraging!  I have no such hardware, so I suppose it's just a
matter of having the right utilities on the boot disk, and of course, a
lot more know-how on my part.

Quote:>>2) Can I boot to a boot floppy, create a file system, and restore
>>everything in the file to the new drive? If so, how do I mount the drive
>>that contains the backup file, when I have no fstab?  How do I size the
>>partitions? The boot floppy I made for RH8 only seems to want to boot
>>the image from the hard drive.  Are there utilities on there as well?

> In short, yes you can.
> Fstab is of no importance, you can mount ok manually.

I'm still referring to my slightly older Redhat Bible and usenet for
most of my commandline syntax, but something like 'mount /dev/hdd'?
I'll hunt it down. :)

Quote:> As for partition
> sizes, add output of "fdisk -l /dev/xxx" to your backup,

So, if I'm currently doing this (below), how would I add that?

tar -zcvpf /mnt/Windows_E/linux_bak/full-backup-`date
'+%Y-%m-%d'`.tar.gz \--directory / --exclude=mnt --exclude=proc
--exclude=etc/squid --exclude=var/spool/squid
--exclude=home/mark/file_archive .

Quote:> create partitions of same size. Of course, there's no need for new
> partitions to be exactly the same size they used to be.

I'd expect the other drive to be bigger, and I'd want to take advantage
of the space. I just copied the output of the fdisk -l for /hda, so at
least I know what I've got now.

Quote:> Create your own boot+root disks, see
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO/index.html

Looks like a great resource - thanks!

Quote:>>I have tried other alternatives, such as mkcdrec, and mondo, but I've
>>had problems with both. I've tried Norton Ghost, but it complains about
>>a faulty sector and just aborts. In a nutshell, before I move to RH full
>>time, as I am *very* inclined to do, I need to know that I can get it
>>back if necessary.

>>Thanks for whatever help you can throw my way.

>>Mark

> Dont forget to adjust /etc/fstab and bootloaders conf file.
> Most important thing, test everything! You wont be happy to find
> out that your backup resides on reiserfs file system but your rescue
> disks have no clue about how to access it (etc etc).

That (testing/practicing) is exactly what I'm doing now. I feel great
about this, and so far, have gotten past 95% of the issues that I've
hit, but not having an absolutely reliable backup (or not knowing how to
do it) gives me a queasy feeling.  Thanks for your help. I really
appreciate it.

Mark

--

** A morning without coffee is like something without, . .  . something else

Post by Mark » Tue, 05 Nov 2002 18:17:22

> [...]

>>> had problems with both. I've tried Norton Ghost, but it complains
>>> about a faulty sector and just aborts. In a nutshell, before I move
>>> to RH full time, as I am *very* inclined to do, I need to know that I
>>> can get it back if necessary.

>>> Thanks for whatever help you can throw my way.

>>> Mark

>> Dont forget to adjust /etc/fstab and bootloaders conf file.
>> Most important thing, test everything! You wont be happy to find
>> out that your backup resides on reiserfs file system but your rescue
>> disks have no clue about how to access it (etc etc).

> That (testing/practicing) is exactly what I'm doing now. I feel great
> about this, and so far, have gotten past 95% of the issues that I've
> hit, but not having an absolutely reliable backup (or not knowing how to
> do it) gives me a queasy feeling.  Thanks for your help. I really

Well, I didn't have much luck working from the RIP rescue boot disk,
although I think I got close. Ultimately, I ended up installing a fairly
plain vanilla install of RH 8 on another drive, and then restored the
TAR'd backup, re-ran lilo, and in fact, I'm using that restored drive
now. So, it can be done, although I think I still need to shed some of
that Windows way of thinking to do it the "right way". :)

Mark

--

** ((((((((HYPNOTIC))))))))((((((TAGLINE))))))))

Help: Restoring TAR'd Backup to New Drive

Post by Anthony Johnso » Sun, 10 Nov 2002 02:27:52

Check out Storix Backup Administrator for AIX. Even the free personal
edition will do what you want. You can download it from
http://www.storix.com. This is a nice product that will do a full-system
backup, create your boot media (diskette or CDROM) then guide you through
reinstalling the system on the same or different hardware. You can select
new disks, re-arrange your partition table, supports LVM and software RAID,
all the filesystems, etc. Get the standalone edition and you can even
completely convert a partition-based system to LVM or RAID.

> Since getting my RH8 install "where I want it", I've been very concerned
> with the ability (or in my case, my *inability*) to successfully restore
> it to a new drive. I have been creating TAR'd backups of everything
> except /mnt and /proc. My questions are:

> 1) To what extent to I have to install RH8 on the other drive?

> 2) Can I boot to a boot floppy, create a file system, and restore
> everything in the file to the new drive? If so, how do I mount the drive
> that contains the backup file, when I have no fstab?  How do I size the
> partitions? The boot floppy I made for RH8 only seems to want to boot
> the image from the hard drive.  Are there utilities on there as well?

> I have tried other alternatives, such as mkcdrec, and mondo, but I've
> had problems with both. I've tried Norton Ghost, but it complains about
> a faulty sector and just aborts. In a nutshell, before I move to RH full
> time, as I am *very* inclined to do, I need to know that I can get it
> back if necessary.

> Thanks for whatever help you can throw my way.

> Mark
> --

> ** "That's quite a dress you almost have on." -- Gene Kelly

Help: Restoring TAR'd Backup to New Drive

Post by Anthony Johnso » Sun, 10 Nov 2002 02:28:13

Check out Storix Backup Administrator for Linux (also supports AIX). Even
the free personal edition will do what you want. You can download it from
http://www.storix.com. This is a nice product that will do a full-system
backup, create your boot media (diskette or CDROM) then guide you through
reinstalling the system on the same or different hardware. You can select
new disks, re-arrange your partition table, supports LVM and software RAID,
all the filesystems, etc. Get the standalone edition and you can even
completely convert a partition-based system to LVM or RAID.

> Since getting my RH8 install "where I want it", I've been very concerned
> with the ability (or in my case, my *inability*) to successfully restore
> it to a new drive. I have been creating TAR'd backups of everything
> except /mnt and /proc. My questions are:

> 1) To what extent to I have to install RH8 on the other drive?

> 2) Can I boot to a boot floppy, create a file system, and restore
> everything in the file to the new drive? If so, how do I mount the drive
> that contains the backup file, when I have no fstab?  How do I size the
> partitions? The boot floppy I made for RH8 only seems to want to boot
> the image from the hard drive.  Are there utilities on there as well?

> I have tried other alternatives, such as mkcdrec, and mondo, but I've
> had problems with both. I've tried Norton Ghost, but it complains about
> a faulty sector and just aborts. In a nutshell, before I move to RH full
> time, as I am *very* inclined to do, I need to know that I can get it
> back if necessary.

> Thanks for whatever help you can throw my way.

> Mark
> --

> ** "That's quite a dress you almost have on." -- Gene Kelly

1. ROOT drive backup/restore, "Super Tar"

  BackupEDGE .............. 412.375.6711
  CTAR .................... 803.626.2878
  Lone-Tar ................ 301.829.1622

You can download a free eval of Lone-Tar from the SCO Forum on CompuServe
LIB 8, or directly from the 'ftp' site listed below.  I'm also sure that if
you call Tom Podnar (BackupEDGE) or Steve Schwartz (CTAR) they
will be glad to help also.

                                .--.
__________________________  .-. |  |  __________________________________

 Cactus International, Inc. | |_|  | | | Sales:   (800) LONE-TAR
 13987 W. Annapolis Ct.  _  |___   |_| | Support: (301) 829-1622
 Mt. Airy, MD 21771    _| ~-    |   ___| Fax:     (301) 829-1623
 Jeffrey Hyman         \,  _}   |  |     FTP:     ftp.cactus.com
 CompuServe: 74710,2627  \(     |  |     WWW:     http://www.cactus.com
------------------------------- |  | -----------------------------------
                                |  |

2. HTTPD Status Code 206?

3. Add user in X-Window ????

4. Restore full system backup on new drive

5. y2k questions

6. help. restoring a backup dump/restore

7. LP Errors (offline) in kernel 1.3.98 HELP

8. Help - can't restore a folder with tar -xp or cpio -im!

9. How to restore an incremental backup made with gnu tar (without timestamp like named dirs) ?

10. Help - restoring to a new boot drive

11. Backup/Restore with Tar

12. backup/restore of Win95 via Linux (tar)?