xfree86 update fails (module ABI minor Version is newer than the server's version)

xfree86 update fails (module ABI minor Version is newer than the server's version)

Post by Heiko Haman » Sun, 01 Dec 2002 21:23:18

Hi!

Actually I just wanted to install powervr to use opengl with my Videologic
Vivid!XS. But therefor I needed to update XFree86 from 4.0.3 to >=4.1.0. So
I installed RPMs of Suse: xf86, xmodules, xshared and xf86_glx
all of version 4.2.0-107 and the powervr RPM for Suse 8.0 (actually I
have/had something older).
But I cannot start my xserver now. The log starts (amazingly) with "XFree 86
Version 4.0.3 ...";
some lines later:
"(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libbitmap.a
(EE) module ABI minor Version (3) is newer than the server's version (2)"
The same stands there for another file then it stops.

What is my fault?

Thank you,

Heiko.

--
From "Faster than Thought":
"Tring Machine. In 1936 Dr Turing wrote a paper on the design and

1. Module Programming: module version vs. kernel version

Dear all,

I've just started learning kernel programming on Linux. I just tried an
example "hello, world" module program. The program looks like:
#define MODULE
#include <linux/module.h>
int init_module(void)
{ print out a hello message}
void cleanup_module(void)
{print out a goodbye message}

It can be compiled into .o but when I tried to insmod, I got this error
message:
module compiled for kernel version 2.4.0-xxx
kernel version is 2.2.16-xxx

I have no clue how to fix it. Please help. Thank you very much.

Crystal

2. which external cheap tape-drive ?

3. Version PPP-2.1.2b ... Newer Version?

4. Asus SYMBIOS Logic 53C875 32-bit PCI Ultra Fast SCSI card?

5. Question running C++ compiled application on newer OS version versus on older OS versions of AIX?

6. Automounter problem

7. Can I run metro-linx 1.2.4 motif version on newer Xfree version?

8. Netscape RPM Packages

9. Help installing newer version of Xfree86

10. Need to find which version I am using for XFree86.

11. insmod: 'couldn't find the kernel version the module was compiled for'

13. How does module version / kernnel version system work?