Recommended Linux VAR for cpu/mainboard upgrade

Recommended Linux VAR for cpu/mainboard upgrade

Post by Michael Knig » Mon, 11 Mar 2002 23:15:13

I'm ready to upgrade my tired old Celeron 300A (overclocked to 450MHz)
and upgrade to a newer processor and motherboard.

I'm leaning towards an Athlon XP processor and appropriate
motherboard.  Can anyone make recommendations on a good IDE
motherboard.  I've looked around a bit and found a few places that
offer Chaintech and FIC motherboards with the Athlon XP.  Are these
good or should I look for others?

Also, can someone point me to a good Linux VAR (value-added reseller)
site that lets you mix-and-match components?

I've looked at www.idot.com and like their setup, but they have a
limited selection of components.  Any others out there?

Thanks for any help.

-Michael

Recommended Linux VAR for cpu/mainboard upgrade

Post by B. Joshua Rose » Tue, 12 Mar 2002 01:23:04

Quote:> I'm ready to upgrade my tired old Celeron 300A (overclocked to 450MHz)
> and upgrade to a newer processor and motherboard.

> I'm leaning towards an Athlon XP processor and appropriate motherboard.
> Can anyone make recommendations on a good IDE motherboard.  I've looked
> around a bit and found a few places that offer Chaintech and FIC
> motherboards with the Athlon XP.  Are these good or should I look for
> others?

> Also, can someone point me to a good Linux VAR (value-added reseller)
> site that lets you mix-and-match components?

> I've looked at www.idot.com and like their setup, but they have a
> limited selection of components.  Any others out there?

> Thanks for any help.

> -Michael

The Epox EP-8KHA+ is a pretty good board. You might want to check out
Tom's Hardware for motherboard reviews. http://www.tomshardware.com. The
other place you might want to checkout is http://www.pricewatch.com to
find the best prices, I've had good luck with newegg, atacom,
allstarmicro and accessmicro. I generally by memory from crucial. Access
Micro offers preassembled/tested motherboard bundles that gives you a good
choice of motherboards, processors, fans and RAM.

http://www.accessmicro.com/bundle/index.phtml?kitid=KTAXPDDR#product

Post by waymo » Tue, 12 Mar 2002 07:49:32

> I'm ready to upgrade my tired old Celeron 300A (overclocked to 450MHz)
> and upgrade to a newer processor and motherboard.

> I'm leaning towards an Athlon XP processor and appropriate
> motherboard.  Can anyone make recommendations on a good IDE
> motherboard.  I've looked around a bit and found a few places that
> offer Chaintech and FIC motherboards with the Athlon XP.  Are these
> good or should I look for others?

> Also, can someone point me to a good Linux VAR (value-added reseller)
> site that lets you mix-and-match components?

> I've looked at www.idot.com and like their setup, but they have a
> limited selection of components.  Any others out there?

> Thanks for any help.

> -Michael

Yes as a matter of fact this is an awesome board.

SOYO SY-K7V Dragon Plus!

Excellent board. Great for the overclocker!
1 x master AGP Pro slot
5 x 32-bit bus master PCI slots
2x EIDE controlers w/ up to 4 Ultra DMA 33/66/100 devices
IrDA compatible infrared port
6x USB connectors
PS/2 mouse connector
PS/2 Keyboard connector
IDE Raid Function
C-Media Audio
Lan on board

I highly recommend this one you won't be sorry.

Recommended Linux VAR for cpu/mainboard upgrade

Post by Kevi » Wed, 13 Mar 2002 03:20:17

Quote:> You might want to check out
> Tom's Hardware for motherboard reviews. http://www.tomshardware.com.

        That site crashes Netscape 4.7[79] on my Solaris or Linux
        systems.  Anyone else have trouble with it?

        Thanks...

Post by Michael Knig » Wed, 13 Mar 2002 10:58:24

> > You might want to check out
> > Tom's Hardware for motherboard reviews. http://www.tomshardware.com.

>    That site crashes Netscape 4.7[79] on my Solaris or Linux
>    systems.  Anyone else have trouble with it?

>    Thanks...

I'm using Netscape 4.78 from the RH 7.2 dist.  I can load the site and
it pretty much works OK....but it is unnecessarily fancy and
occasionally locks up Netscape in Linux.

I'd already been to Tomshardware (been going there for years!).
Another similar site you might try is http://www.anandtech.com

-Michael

Post by B. Joshua Rose » Wed, 13 Mar 2002 10:59:04

>> You might want to check out
>> Tom's Hardware for motherboard reviews. http://www.tomshardware.com.

>    That site crashes Netscape 4.7[79] on my Solaris or Linux systems.
>    Anyone else have trouble with it?

>    Thanks...

Have you tried Galeon yet?, it's much stabler then Netscape 4.77. I've
replaced Netscape with the combination of Galeon for brousing, Evolution
for mail and Pan for News.

Post by Andrew Burge » Thu, 28 Mar 2002 06:21:31

> SOYO SY-K7V Dragon Plus!

> Excellent board. Great for the overclocker!
> 1 x master AGP Pro slot
> 5 x 32-bit bus master PCI slots
> 2x EIDE controlers w/ up to 4 Ultra DMA 33/66/100 devices

That's 4x channels for 8x devices

1. Recommend me a good VLB mainboard for Linux/X

Before I discovered Linux, I never noticed how screwy my Mainboard was.

But after using X , and discovering that there was a problem with the
implementation of the VESA local bus specs which habitually locked up
my system, I'm in the market for a new one :)

I currently have the following adaptors:

a) Buslogic BT410A VLB IDE Controller
b) Diamond Stealth 32 VLB 2MB.. ( yeah, I know..)

email is welcomed, postings are encouraged, flames will be ignored ;0

--
  __  __   __ | .__.  __. ::::  Carlos Dominguez - proprietor - sysadmin

 |__ |__| |   | |__| .__| ::::  Basselope *nix systems
  ---------------------------   Internet services consulting is our forte

2. Unix - Frequently Asked Questions (Contents) [Frequent posting]

3. Which mainboard would you recommend?

4. Slackware "quotation"

5. What motherboard and cpu do you recommend for running linux "out-of-the-box" ?

6. Cannot write to /home

7. Recommended CPU for multiuser Linux system?

8. REPOST : linux-2.5.5-xfs-dj1+ 2.5.5-dj2 (raid0_make_request bug)

9. Looking for a new mainboard (and CPU)

10. What mainboard/CPU to buy?

11. CPU and Mainboard recommendations

12. CPU/mainboard anti-bug test

13. sh var -> awk var -> sh var