LILO & large IDE HD??

Post by William Harold Too » Thu, 25 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hi

I have installed LINUX on my 486-33 MHz system but have to boot from
a floppy which is agonizingly slow.  I have an 850 Meg hard drive
in which the first 1024 sectors are for dos (I have old bios such that
I can't set the # of cylinders above 1024) and the rest of the HD is
for linux. I know that to use LILO to boot from the MBR I have to have
a linux partition set up within the 1024 and that this partition has
to have the kernel and /boot. How do I move the kernel and /boot to
this partition and what configuration do I need in LILO to properly
boot into LINUX? The HOWTO's and other help files don't seem to
explain how to do this. Thank you for your help.

*  Lowly Grad Student                                                     *
*  Department of Electrical Engineering                                   *
*  Technical University Of Nova Scotia                                    *
*                                                                         *

LILO & large IDE HD??

Post by Neil Ricke » Thu, 25 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I have installed LINUX on my 486-33 MHz system but have to boot from
>a floppy which is agonizingly slow.  I have an 850 Meg hard drive
>in which the first 1024 sectors are for dos (I have old bios such that
>I can't set the # of cylinders above 1024) and the rest of the HD is
>for linux. I know that to use LILO to boot from the MBR I have to have
>a linux partition set up within the 1024 and that this partition has
>to have the kernel and /boot. How do I move the kernel and /boot to
>this partition

First format the partition with 'mkfs'

Next mount it, temporarily, on /mnt

        mount /dev/hda5 /mnt  ## replace the 'hda5' with the correct name

Now copy the /boot files to it

        cp -p /boot/* /mnt

Now unmount it.

        umount /mnt

Rename '/boot' as '/boot.old'.  You can later delete it, when all is
checked.  Then use 'mkdir' to make a new empty '/boot' directory.

Edit /etc/fstab.  You will need a line something like:

/dev/hda5       /boot   ext2    defaults        1       1

Again, replace the 'hda5' with the correct designation for your
partition.

Test your 'fstab' entry with:

        mount /boot

This should mount the partition, and you should see the files under
/boot.  Then

        cp /vmlinuz /boot

You might then like to:

        cd /
        mv vmlinuz vmlinuz.old
        ln -s boot/vmlinuz .

This has the effect of making '/vmlinuz' a symlink to the copy on /boot.

Quote:>                   what configuration do I need in LILO to properly
>boot into LINUX?

If you set it up as I described, you should be able to use
'lilo.config' to guide you through your configuration.

LILO & large IDE HD??

Post by Jeff Kr » Thu, 25 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>Hi
>I have installed LINUX on my 486-33 MHz system but have to boot from
>a floppy which is agonizingly slow.  I have an 850 Meg hard drive
>in which the first 1024 sectors are for dos (I have old bios such that
>I can't set the # of cylinders above 1024) and the rest of the HD is
>for linux. I know that to use LILO to boot from the MBR I have to have
>a linux partition set up within the 1024 and that this partition has
>to have the kernel and /boot. How do I move the kernel and /boot to
>this partition and what configuration do I need in LILO to properly
>boot into LINUX? The HOWTO's and other help files don't seem to
>explain how to do this. Thank you for your help.
>--

>*  Lowly Grad Student                                                     *
>*  Department of Electrical Engineering                                   *
>*  Technical University Of Nova Scotia                                    *
>*                                                                         *

Bill,

   As far as I know, the only way to have LILO boot to the hard disk
is to make the DOS partition smaller so it ends before the 1024
cylinder.

Jeff Krob

1. Large IDE disks & LILO/linux...

Hello!

Well, first off I have read the large disk how-to, i have been scanning the
newsgroups for info...but i still can't figure out the correct (and most
efficient/best) way to install linux on a large ide drive.  Nowhere/one
seems to actually give all the steps needed in any sort of coherent way so i
have done a few of the recomendations but no luck yet.
Here are the main questions i have not been able to find answers for...

(I want to put linux only on this system, i realize dual/multi booting is a
different story...)

The drive i want to use is a 15 gigabyte ATA66 Maxtor IDE hard drive...but
what about other sizes? is 8.4 easier, or 10? is 20 harder to do or 34?
(gigs)

Should LBA or normal or large be set in the bios?  Does this affect
performance?  Other operating systems?

So far i have a 65 meg FAT32 partion (hda1) formatted and setup w/ win98
boot disk, a 125 meg linux swap (hda2) partiton, and a 14.x gig linux ext2
partition (hda3).  I got slackware 7.0 to install (the lilo part at the end
does not install) and copied my kernel to the dos partition.  I tried to
edit lilo.conf to tell it to use the kernel on the dos partition, typed lilo
and got the usual respone "added dos added linux"  when i reboot the system
hangs (no lilo prompt)

which partition should be bootable/active?

can anyone provide some clues to any of these questions?

thanx!

tom.

2. Solaris x86 FAQ

3. 2nd problem with a large IDE drive(maybe not the cause though) & LILO

4. modem & video card configuration

5. Large IDE hard drive & "Big IDEs" HOWTO

6. Check this out

7. PROBLEM: LILO & Transfer of Linux System from old HD to new HD.

8. 2.4+ptrace exploit fix breaks root's ability to strace

9. HELP installing SCO OS 5.0.2 large IDE HD

10. Lilo on large third HD.

11. IN-2000 & SCSI CD-ROM, Promise 2300+ & IDE HD

12. LILO and large HD (IBM 755c)

13. Large IDE HD probs with 2.5