telnetd process core dumps when handing off to login process

telnetd process core dumps when handing off to login process

Post by Cere Davi » Thu, 29 May 1997 04:00:00

Has anyone run into this one?:

I have redhat linux 4.1.  I have my computer dailed up on a static
ip line.  DNS, Ping, and pretty much everything but telnet is working
great from the internet to my home (dialed up) computer.

I can ping to my home ip address from an external internet site.
I can get DNS resolution of my hostname ...
I can ftp,rlogin to my home computer...  But no telnet

I have my inetd running and in.telnetd is uncommented. In fact I ran
/usr/sbin/in.telnetd -D report -debug 8080
- meaning running in.telnetd in interactive debug mode and find that
when telneting in to my home ip address/port  the in.telnetd program on
my home computer core dumps at the point where it's trying to call the
login program.  When I explicitly tell the telnetd to use the login
program /bin/login (by using the " -L /bin/login") I can log in just
fine.

What's weird is that sometimes (rarely) telnetd will successfully call
the /bin/login program when I run the in.telnetd under inetd without
giving the -L /bin/login option.

If anyone knows who the hacker is that wrote in.telnetd and/or login
I'd love for you to pass this message on.

cere

1. telnetd core dumps when calling login process

[...]

2. What replaces ttytab in 2.x?

3. [Fwd: dumping a kernel process into a file and reinstating the process]

4. XFree86 with Victor 2117-1 monitor

5. Assign login process for in.telnetd

6. Support for Portals and LFS

7. inter-process locks+mmap cause core dump

8. APIs to read Compressed file (.Z)

9. how to dump core on a running process?

10. KPM (K process manager) segmentation fault (core dump)

11. Core dumps from multi-threaded processes?

12. attaching to a process causes workshop to dump core

13. How to dump core for a process in a specified name