Can't mount cdrom with idecd Slackware 2.2 installation boot disk

Can't mount cdrom with idecd Slackware 2.2 installation boot disk

Post by Olivier MENG » Fri, 28 Apr 1995 04:00:00

I have an EIDE cdrom drive (NEC CDR-260) with which I would like to install Linux from
the Infomagic CD. It is the slackware 2.2. So I made the Boot disk IDECD
and the Root disk COLOR144. When I boot, the hard drive hda and the cdrom hdc
(secondary IDE interface) are well detected. But I can't mount the cdrom because the
kernel seems to not support the iso9660 filesystem.
Here is the command I type after login :
    # mkdir /cdrom
    # mount /dev/hdc /cdrom -t iso9660 -o ro
    mount: fs iso9660 not in the kernel
(this what i remember from the error message)
Note that I didn't yet install Linux on my hard disk: all this is done from the
ramdisk with the Boot disk and the Root disk from Slackware installation.

I would like to know if this is another bug in the slackware 2.2.0, and what is the
wether it is a bug or not.

---
Olivier MENGUE, programmer: C/C++/Pascal/VBA/80x86/TI-85/Casio Fx/COBOL(!)

Can't mount cdrom with idecd Slackware 2.2 installation boot disk

Post by mi.. » Sun, 30 Apr 1995 04:00:00

says...

Quote:

>I have an EIDE cdrom drive (NEC CDR-260) with which I would like to
install Linux from
>the Infomagic CD. It is the slackware 2.2. So I made the Boot disk IDECD
>and the Root disk COLOR144. When I boot, the hard drive hda and the cdrom
hdc
>(secondary IDE interface) are well detected. But I can't mount the cdrom
because the
>kernel seems to not support the iso9660 filesystem.
>Here is the command I type after login :
>    # mkdir /cdrom
>    # mount /dev/hdc /cdrom -t iso9660 -o ro
>    mount: fs iso9660 not in the kernel
>(this what i remember from the error message)
>Note that I didn't yet install Linux on my hard disk: all this is done
from the
>ramdisk with the Boot disk and the Root disk from Slackware installation.

>I would like to know if this is another bug in the slackware 2.2.0, and
what is the
>wether it is a bug or not.

>---

Try letting setup scan for the cdrom. I had the same problem, but setup
mounts it just fine. Also, the slackware on the InfoMagic cd set
identifies the drive as /dev/hd1a, NOT /dev/hdc as the kernel does. You
might try the former if you'd rather mount it manually.

Mike.

Can't mount cdrom with idecd Slackware 2.2 installation boot disk

Post by Olivier MENG » Thu, 04 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> Try letting setup scan for the cdrom. I had the same problem, but setup
> mounts it just fine. Also, the slackware on the InfoMagic cd set
> identifies the drive as /dev/hd1a, NOT /dev/hdc as the kernel does. You
> might try the former if you'd rather mount it manually.

> Mike.

Thanks. I've found the solution by installing Slackware and it works fine. I think
that I misundersood the file README.ide whem I read it.

---
Olivier MENGUE, programmer: C/C++/Pascal/VBA/80x86/TI-85/Casio Fx/COBOL(!)

1. slackware 2.2 installation problem: disks not recognized

Hi,

I am in the process of installing Slackware 2.2. I can boot from
floppy and run setup. However, the A and AP disks are not recognized
by setup (I haven't tried any other yet ...). Also setup tries to
create /mnt/setup/fstab, and fails because /mnt/etc doesn't
exist. Shouldn't setup create fstab in /etc instead of /mnt/etc? Did
anyone else experience the same? If so, how should I correct it?

Eric Aardoom
CAA Institute of Satellite Navigation
Dept. of Electronic and Electrical Engineering
University of Leeds, LS2 9JT, UK

Phone: +44 532 332090
Fax: +44 532 332032

2. Converting linked HTML docs to one doc - how?

3. Slackware 2.2 doesn't see Matsushita ATAPI CDROM...

4. PCI Soundcards, and IRQ's....

5. Slackware 2.2's "mount SBPCD" hangs for single-speed CD drive???

6. apache semaphore files?

7. Caldera 2.2 installation fails to mount disk

8. a Pound sign [help]

9. Can't Mount Cdrom kernel2.2.2

10. How do you make your own ``Slackware Boot Disk and Root Disk''??

11. Where is the idecd disk image file for Slackware??.

12. Slackware boot disk won't boot.

13. Slackware Boot disk won't boot