installations under these h/w conditions - pls help

installations under these h/w conditions - pls help

Post by prawnt » Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Currently I am using Win95 and would like to 'try' unix &
x-window-like interface. Main purpose is to get to know the unix
environment and perhaps have a 'feel' of what I have been missing.

Currently, my system's setup is as follows (running Win95 only).

hardware
=======
P5-120
32mb ram
Creative Labs 16pnp
SCSI <- attached with 2 CD-roms and 1 Jaz (iomega) drive
AT-bus <- 2gig HD
Video <- ATI 64 with 2mb
Modem / MS-mouse with roller (intelli-mouse) / MS natural keyboard
. . . the usual stuffs

The AT-bus HD is configs as :

C: win95 (200mb partition)
D: 800mb partition
E: 1gig partition
. . . all formatted as FAT
F : SCSI Jaz (1 gig removable)
G: SCSI cd-rom
H: SCSI cd-rom

I wish to maintain everything that's win95 and perhaps start unix /
x-windows from within plain dos-prompt upon bootup - or something dual
boot perhaps. And install my unix onto the removable Jaz drive (which
I hope to format as FAT - for obvious reasons).
Do you think it is possible to install either FreeBSD or Linux under
such circumstances - mixture of SCSI / at-bus devices, video card etc
. . . ?

And also what is the difference b/t these unix(s) and SCO unix, Novell
unix and . . .

Thanks in advance.

As I am not polling newsgroups msgs often, please email replies to me
:

web.singnet.com.sg/~prawntoe

1. installations under these h/w conditions - pls help

[...]

2. masquerading and X using ipchains.

3. Problem with PPP

4. how to change the password in web page?

5. Strange error in sendmail - help