Chinon CDS-535 SCSI CDROM Problem

Post by Bill Flemi » Fri, 04 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> I am using a Chinon CDROM with an adaptec 1520A SCSI card. ...
> I upgraded the ROM to R21U in the Chinon drive to no avail.  The CDROM
> just hangs when I try to mount it and finally reports an e2fsk master
> block error.  I am about to give up, ...

> John Bennett, P.E.

I also had problems configuring Linux with a Chinon 535 and Adaptec
(AHA-2742AT) controller.  During installation (of RedHat 1.0), the
SCSI driver would always abort/hang with a bus timeout error.  I must
have attempted twenty installations before I came across a workable
fix (see below) - the problem completely went away when "NO DISCONNECT"
was set in the EISA BIOS for the Chinon's SCSI ID.

I credit the following Usenet posts for helping me out.  Hopefully,
this work-around will work for you as well:

    Re: Chinon 535 CD-ROM Cannot Run With Linux?.

        Date: 12 Apr 1995 18:41:26 GMT    (Page 1 of 4)

    : I finally was able to make my Adaptec SCSI-Lite controller to be visible
    : to Linux and my Chinon CD-ROM is there.  However, I'm not able to mount it.

    : According to InfoMagic tech. support, the Chinon 535 CD-ROM has a known
    : problem running with Linux (he found it on the kernel source code --
    : scsi.c), which puts it on the Linux hardware black list.  However, he said
    : that some people have been able to work around this problem.

    : Does anybody know how: I hate to have to discard a good Chinon SCSI CD-ROM.

    : Thank you,

    : --
    : Jorge Padron

    : --

    I have a Chinon 535 hung off a SB16 SCSI controller (this uses an
    Adaptec chip).  I went through a lot of head banging this past weekend
    when I tried to install Slackware v2.1 (which included the 1.1.59 kernel).
    I ran into the same problem that you speak of where no matter what I would
    do I could not get the drive to mount.

    I finally seemed to have found the problem.

    When I specify my SCSI setup (my controller has no bios so it must be
    entered by hand), I use the following line:

    The last parameter seems to be the key. A value of 1 enables
    disconnect/reconnect while a value of 0 disables it.  All of the linux
    docs showed this value being defaulted to '1' so that is what I used
    initially and it didn't work.

    After I tried setting this to zero, I was able to mount the ROM drive
    and do a 'ls' on the contents without a problem.  I guess the 535 either
    doesn't support disconnect/reconnect or doesn't implement it correctly.

    I saw the blacklist entry in the scsi driver.  It didn't have anything
    do to with disconnect/reconnect but said that the drive would hang if
    it was probed for any LUN other than 0.  I also seem to remember that
    it referred to a specific version of the CD driver firmware, so it could
    have been corrected in some later revisions.

    When I bought the 535 I thought I was getting a decent, quick, double
    speed drive and I've been really happy with it so far.  It's going to
    be a real bummer if I can't get it to play nice with Linux.

    Good Luck,

    Re: Chinon 535 CD-ROM Cannot Run With Linux?.

        Date: 14 Apr 1995 21:16:49 GMT    (Page 1 of 5)

    > : I finally was able to make my Adaptec SCSI-Lite controller to be
    > : visible to Linux and my Chinon CD-ROM is there.  However, I'm not
    > : able to mount it.
    > :      .
    > :      .
    > :      .
    > : Jorge Padron

    > : --
    >
    > I have a Chinon 535 hung off a SB16 SCSI controller (this uses an
    > Adaptec chip).  I went through a lot of head banging this past weekend
    > when I tried to install Slackware v2.1 (which included the 1.1.59 kernel).
    >        .
    >        .
    >        .

    <scsi id> is the location of the SCSI controller card on the SCSI BUS.  I
    have been using the CD 535 on a Future Domain 8 bit SCSI controler with out
    any problems.

    You can recompile your kernel so that you don't have to enter the aha152x=
    stuff by hand.  You have to go into the Makefile in the
    /usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/ directory and change a few lines at the top of
    the file:

    #AHA152X        = -DDEBUG -DAUTOCONF -DIRQ=11 -DSCSI_ID=7 -DRECONNECT=0 \
    #          -DPORTBASE=0x340 -DSKIP_BIOSTEST -DDONT_SNARF
    AHA152X = -DDEBUG_AHA152X -DAUTOCONF

    ^remove the comments on the first two lines and put a comment on the last
    line so that it looks like this.

    AHA152X        = -DDEBUG -DAUTOCONF -DIRQ=11 -DSCSI_ID=7 -DRECONNECT=0 \
              -DPORTBASE=0x340 -DSKIP_BIOSTEST -DDONT_SNARF

    #AHA152X = -DDEBUG_AHA152X -DAUTOCONF

    After you recompile the kernel your SCSI card will be seen at boot time.
    In the  Makefile is where you will find the veriable to change for
    reconnect.

    David Hepner

 - Bill Fleming -

Chinon CDS-535 SCSI CDROM Problem

Post by John Benne » Fri, 04 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I am using a Chinon CDROM with an adaptec 1520A SCSI card.  I also have a
Fujitsu scsi hard disk on the same card.
As usual all works fine under DOS.  Under linux it detects and identifies
the Disk and the CDROM and the disk works fine.  The Adaptec card
parameters are set correctly.
I upgraded the ROM to R21U in the Chinon drive to no avail.  The CDROM
just hangs when I try to mount it and finally reports an e2fsk master
block error.
I am about to give up, having been working on this problem for about 4
months.  Any ideas?

--
John Bennett, P.E.
AER Inc.

Post by Jim Chapm » Tue, 08 Aug 1995 04:00:00

> I am using a Chinon CDROM with an adaptec 1520A SCSI card.  I also have a
> Fujitsu scsi hard disk on the same card.
> As usual all works fine under DOS.  Under linux it detects and identifies
> the Disk and the CDROM and the disk works fine.  The Adaptec card
> parameters are set correctly.
> I upgraded the ROM to R21U in the Chinon drive to no avail.  The CDROM
> just hangs when I try to mount it and finally reports an e2fsk master
> block error.
> I am about to give up, having been working on this problem for about 4
> months.  Any ideas?

> --
> John Bennett, P.E.
> AER Inc.
> 840 Memorial Drive, Cambridge, MA 02139
> (617) 547-6207

FWIW, I'm using the same model Chinon drive with Linux and have never had
any problem with it. My SCSI host adaptor is on my sound card, however,
and it is my only SCSI device.

---
 ====  AT&T        | Jim Chapman             |

=--=== Information | 100 N. Sepulveda Blvd.  |   Voice: (310) 524-6747
 ====  Solutions   | El Segundo, CA 90245    |   FAX:   (310) 524-5515