formating SCSI hardrive

Post by Kuang Han Ch » Sat, 08 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Hi! I recently bought a for 4-cd linux from infomagic.  I have encounter the
following problem:

First, I have created a image file using rawrite.exe and scsi (since my hardrive
is a scsi one).  Similarly, I have created another image file using colorlite.
Now, when I boot the disk with image file created by scsi I have to force
hardware detection using "ramdisk aha152x=0x340,11,7,1".  If I don't force the
above hardware detection, it won't detect my scsi hardrive and its partitions, so
when I use fdisk /dev/sda, I get the unable to open drive /dev/sda.

If I force the hardware detection, everything seems to be detected.  I was able to
see the partitions of the hardrive (note my scsi controller is adaptec 1520).
I was able to create partitions such as linux native and swap.  But when I format
(using mke2fs) I get a lot of message saying that more data than expected
(5bytes).  Is the above message normal?  Now, I proceed to setup from my cd-rom
(toshiba 3401), the computer tells me that can't find the a series from the
cdrom.  Note, the version of my slackware is 2.2.0.  Moreover, the cd-rom is
detected during the boot time and I was to read the cd-rom in the linux prompt.

You can either reply by mail or post the possible solution in this newsgroup.
Any help will be appreciated, thank you in advance.

formating SCSI hardrive

Post by Patrick Roth » Tue, 11 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: Now, when I boot the disk with image file created by scsi I have to force
: hardware detection using "ramdisk aha152x=0x340,11,7,1".  If I don't force the
: above hardware detection, it won't detect my scsi hardrive and its partitions, so
: when I use fdisk /dev/sda, I get the unable to open drive /dev/sda.

As far as I know linux only auto-detects adapteks at io-address 0x330.

You can append the line
append="aha152x=0x340,11,7,1"
in lilo.conf when installing lilo or you can patch it in the kernel cource.

Krd.

1. Help for newbie, repair bad super blocks on SCSI hardrive

I have an AST Pentium-133 running Win95 normally, with a WDC-AC212-00H
1.2Gig E-IDE hard drive (stock).  I also have a salvaged external DEC
RZ58 1.3Gig hard drive, connected to a Adaptec AIC-7850 PCI SCSI
controller.  To prepare for Linux installation, I have partitioned my
E-IDE into 3 (/dev/hda1 for Win95, /dev/hda2 for Linux swap, and
/dev/hda3 for Linux native), and my SCSI hard drive into 2 (/dev/sda1
for Linux native, and dev/sda2 for Win95).  I followed the direction in
the book to install Slackware 3.0 from the CD found in the back of same
book.  I was able to use mke2fs -c to make the file system on
/dev/hda2, but when I tried to do the same thing for /dev/sda1, the
computer would go through a few super blocks, then start to scroll error
messages too fast for me to read, and not respond to any input, even
ctl-alt-del.  I have to shut it off at the switch.  I tried to ignore
/dev/sda1 and used setup to load A and AP to /dev/hda3 in the hope
that I can use e2fsck -b /dev/sda1 8193 (a suggestion flashed to me on
screen by Linux) to but when I use LILO on a floppy and boot to root on
/dev/hda3 (instead of using the installation boot disk to boot to the
installation root disk), Linux cant see my SCSI hard drive, and thus
cant open /dev/sda1.  Booting to the root disk wont allow me to use
e2fsck to repair any hard drive problem.  I have switched file type on
the partition /dev/sda1 to DOS 16-bit >=32M, used ScanDisk to scan and
repair (no error found), switched back to file type Linux native, but
the error is still there, and I still cant get to /dev/sda1.  Once I
tried to mount /dev/sda1 to usr/X11 (another suggestion by Linux), then
used LILO to boot to root on /dev/hda3, I would eventually get to the
message that my super blocks on /dev/sda1 may be corrupt, and that I
need to use e2fsck -b /dev/sda1 8193, but using e2fsck -b /dev/sda1
8193 didnt repair the bad super blocks.  I tried re-installing and
mounting /usr to /usr/cdrom in the hope of being able to use all the
utilities in the CD, and maybe find some disk repair command, but Linux
cant see the CD, nor can it see the SCSI hard drive.  I suspect that I
dont have the correct kernel.  BTW, the CD-ROM is TORiSAN CD-ROM
CDR_S16, E-IDE (ATAPI).  I tried to mount /dev/sda1 to /root, hoping to
trick Linux into giving the format command for the setup, it did,
but when I tried formatting the SCSI hard drive Linux partition, I ran
into the same problem of the computer would go through a few super
blocks, then start to scroll error messages too fast for me to read, and
not respond to any input, even ctl-alt-del.  How can I repair /dev/sda1?

Thank you in advance.  Further, any suggestion on how to write and post
-- level of detail, format, etc -- will also be appreciated.  This is my
firts post of any sort, and also my fist experience with an OS (not
Win95) -- except for a brief interlude with LaTeX and UNIX in college
many years ago, so please overlook any "obvious answer not given here
but left as an exercise for the student".  Jim

2. subscription

3. Floppy boot to linux-only scsi hardrive on Win95 PC?

4. Booting Problems

5. SCSI Hardrive ProSCSI harddrive and linux file system probl

6. Which BSD? (Newbie)

7. Would a SCSI hardrive improve my Linux webserver performance?

8. did iptables thing, SMTP port still wide open

9. Poor SCSI Hardrive performance on a Ultra5

10. SCSI Hardrive, can't partition over 1GB

11. Looking for Adaptec/Bernoulli SCSI formating program.

12. formating scsi disk...

13. Redhat 5.0 multia and having trouble formating scsi drive.